• Yes

14 56.00%
  • No

11 44.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansion Draft Information

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamoo
    Then protect Clemens. I don't think protecting 25 players is unreasonable. That's a full roster. It just means everything outside your roster is expendable. According to OOTP, I have the top farm system. I'm likely going to lose some of them or some from my MLB roster. It'll be up to me to decide. These expansion teams should, and probably will, end up with 2 and 3 star type players. And that's fine. Maybe they pick up a few studs here and there through deals (i.e. getting to take Austin Myers from the White Sox as long as they take Wade Miller and Ivan Rodriguez too). I think it'll be fun.
    YOu need to protect more than 25 because some have spent a lot of time on their farm systems. I think 35 to start then if a player gets drafted you can protect a few more to try and limit hoarding.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Rookie ERA
    Fair enough. I just meant that 25 was certainly not too many to protect. I agree that we'd have to be able to pull players off the block after having a player taken.

My point is just that an expansion draft could be fun. We just need to agree on the rules.

Rookie ERA
    I'm trying to remember what the format was for the MLB expansion drafts.

Here, from the Wikipedia:
    The draft was divided into three rounds. In Rounds 1 and 2, there were 28 picks. In Round 3, there were 14 picks. Thus, the Devil Rays and Diamondbacks gained 35 players each. Tampa Bay general manager Chuck LaMar and Arizona general manager Joe Garagiola, Jr. oversaw their teams' selections.

The Devil Rays and Diamondbacks could pick any player not on the protected lists of the 28 other teams, although no team could lose more than one player in the first round. The protected list for each team consisted of:

* For the first round, 15 players from the rosters of their entire organization
    (former) GM of the Kansas City Monarchs of the (now defunct) SBSL

MLB ERA
    Need more than that cause you would see Superstars on SOME teams be drafted and the new team would immediately be in the top half.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Need more than that cause you would see Superstars on SOME teams be drafted and the new team would immediately be in the top half.
    Agreed. You could put together quite a squad if you had the sixteenth best player (or better if the team chose to protect spects over vets) from each team.

Rookie ERA
    Actually, the only real stud picked up in that draft was Bobby Abreau. Other than that, it's mostly journeyman types, plus Dmitri Young, Joe Randa, and Randy Winn. Maybe 15 players is enough.

In the real expnasion draft, however, all draft picks from '96 and '97 were auto protected, which might help.

Rookie ERA
    If their is an expansion draft, I would like to see that GM's protect by position. With this I cant protect 20 pittchers and 8 hitters. Here is an example of what each team needs to protect:

C
    C
    1B
    2B
    3B
    SS
    IF
    OF
    OF
    OF
    OF
    HIT UT
    HIT UT
    HIT UT

SP
    SP
    SP
    SP
    SP
    RP
    RP
    RP
    RP
    RP
    PIT UT
    PIT UT
    PIT UT
    PIT UT

Colorado Rockies GM in TSSL

Highlights
    • 2006 NL West Champions
    • 2007 NL Wild Card
    • Todd Helton NL MVP ('06 and '07)
    • 2006 NL co-GM of the Year
    Texas Rangers GM in Triple Play

AAA ERA
    if there is an expansion draft we can give beesup Hou and I would like an expansion team

Since he finally showed up with jamoo telling him about Houston and I have yet to even do anything.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen
    if there is an expansion draft we can give beesup Hou and I would like an expansion team

Since he finally showed up with jamoo telling him about Houston and I have yet to even do anything.
    Finally? It's been two days, both of which were days off.

MLB ERA
    Who says I would have to protect a C or a SS if I have no good ones (Thanks to having terrible players or just losing 2 or 3 to FA is of no consequence).... if a player would want to protect 27 pitchers and 1 offensive player, so be it.... 28 is 28 (or whatever number would be used).... each team has a different makeup, and a different talent base
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA
    I agree with DD.

As for format, we would make them all draft 35 players, but they would need to end up starting 25. I think it would make the most sense if they had to draft from AAA or the MLB, because who wants another AA-Type Alaska team in the league?

The more important part of this would be the draft. We can't give them each a top pick; I propose giving them 2 picks each at the bottom of the first round. They can't trade them either. This will make their team more based on depth then on Stars, which is how we generally want them to start off I believe?

I'd give them a top pick in each round, such as if Alaska had the worst record last year, the draft would be:

1.) Expansion team 1
    2.) Expansion team 2
    3.) Alaska
    ---
    33.) Expansion team 2
    34.) Expansion team 1
    35.) Alaska
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    If I were running an expansion team, I would try and draft young and cheap, then take on bad contracts for the rights to future draft picks (much like the Bobcats did in the NBA). Try to get through a few years, and have a huge farm system. But that's just me.

MLB ERA
    YOu need to protect more than 25 because some have spent a lot of time on their farm systems. I think 35 to start then if a player gets drafted you can protect a few more to try and limit hoarding.
    35 seems like too many though. A team can protect it's entire roster, and their top 10 spects. There wouldn't be much left for the expansion team. Maybe just a bunch of 3 star spects. 25 seems like a good number. The tough part is for a team to decide it's strategy when making thier list.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamoo
    If I were running an expansion team, I would try and draft young and cheap, then take on bad contracts for the rights to future draft picks (much like the Bobcats did in the NBA). Try to get through a few years, and have a huge farm system. But that's just me.
    If I was a team making my protection list, I would probably protrct as many of those guys as possible, and leave some of the more expensive players unprotected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast