• Yes

14 56.00%
  • No

11 44.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansion Draft Information

MLB ERA

Expansion Draft Information

The majority of the league supports realignment of the league. This idea arose as we were considering realignment. We can add two teams to the AL so that both leagues have an even number of teams. With the current setup, there is no way to avoid a division like the NL Central having 6 teams while a division like the AL West has only 4 teams. We can find two new GMs (the league is full now) and conduct an expansion draft to fill those teams. Let me know your thoughts. If there was a time to do it, it is before we realign the league.

MLB ERA
    Everybody who votes in this poll will receive 3 participation points when I get back in town.

Rookie ERA
    I would be for expansion. After all, our drafts are deeper with all the historical players available. Sure adding teams does dilute the talent pool a bit, but it shouldn't be a problem.
    On the other hand, I don't want to be the turd in the punchbowl, but haven't we been having problems keeping owners as it is, especially active owners? Much less trying to add two more spots.
    (former) GM of the Kansas City Monarchs of the (now defunct) SBSL

MLB ERA
    I don't think that will be too much of a problem. If we do expand, I will try to find a couple of experienced GMs to take over the teams. Our league has a good core of GMs, and our turnover seems a lot less than most OOTP leagues...especially for 30 team leagues. There was a point where I didn't think we could handle 32 teams, but I'm confident that we can now. It seems like there has been a lot more particiaption since the points system was introduced. We have had 1 or 2 teams that seem to always need a GM, but most of the teams have had the same GM since the beginning, or close to it. This is just my opinion, but I think we can handle an expansion. Not to mention, I think it will be fun and challenging for everybody in the league.

Rookie ERA
    Dont know about this, maybe if it setup with time and the GM's of those time are announce with time will be good, but performing an expansion for now?

Colorado Rockies GM in TSSL

Highlights
    • 2006 NL West Champions
    • 2007 NL Wild Card
    • Todd Helton NL MVP ('06 and '07)
    • 2006 NL co-GM of the Year
    Texas Rangers GM in Triple Play

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by metspr
    Expansion with Expansion Draft?
    Yeah...we would have an expansion draft. The ruls of that are still up in the air, so I'm open to suggestions.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Id be for Expansion if it kills or slows down St Louis
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Id be for Expansion if it kills or slows down St Louis
    It probably would. lol

I dont know if I like the idea of an expansion draft since we dont use 40 man rosters. This would just hurt the good teams forcing them to give up players.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by albbla2000mu
    I dont know if I like the idea of an expansion draft since we dont use 40 man rosters. This would just hurt the good teams forcing them to give up players.
    There's a lot of talent in the league, though. We'd have to be able to protect a certain number of players, and then let the expansion teams choose from whats left. You might even be able to shed salary.

Rookie ERA
    To be honest, the possibility of an expansion draft is why I'm so interested in adding teams.

I would also like to go through a contraction at some point in the future to see what might happen. Not now, but, you know, in the future.
    (former) GM of the Kansas City Monarchs of the (now defunct) SBSL

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoo
    There's a lot of talent in the league, though. We'd have to be able to protect a certain number of players, and then let the expansion teams choose from whats left. You might even be able to shed salary.
    Well, for instance, my team is 25 million payroll but with plenty of good players. Would just be forcing me to give them up for no reason.

Rookie ERA
    Not no reason.... it'll make the league more enjoyable. I'm sure there will have to be a rule put in place that prevents the two new teams from stocking up from just a select few teams. I mean, there have been expansion drafts in pro leagues before, how many superstars have come out of them?

AA ERA
    But, it doesn't make the league more enjoyable. Maybe for the teams that lose a Jacque Jones and can easily make the replacement, but for the teams that lose a Roger Clemens? That's not fun, that's irritating. We have plenty of teams as is, no draft for me, unless I can protect 25 men from the draft.

And you can't say "how many superstars come out of them" because MLB looks nothing like our league. The immense talent we have takes the average Mark Bellhorn and makes him a Derek Jeter. This of course only applies to the teams who have drafted well. Those deep teams will lose that Derek Jeter for what reason? To make the little teams happier? They've been given 50,000 chances in this league to become better, why give them a more diluted playing field?
    SBSL- Brooklyn Cyclones
    I am a proud member of the Anti-Rocksports Alliance.

Rookie ERA
    Then protect Clemens. I don't think protecting 25 players is unreasonable. That's a full roster. It just means everything outside your roster is expendable. According to OOTP, I have the top farm system. I'm likely going to lose some of them or some from my MLB roster. It'll be up to me to decide. These expansion teams should, and probably will, end up with 2 and 3 star type players. And that's fine. Maybe they pick up a few studs here and there through deals (i.e. getting to take Austin Myers from the White Sox as long as they take Wade Miller and Ivan Rodriguez too). I think it'll be fun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast