Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Get Out And Vote!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Get Out And Vote!!

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    You have two choices now.

What do you propose? A large conglomerate of a bunch of different choices and the eventual winner gets into the White House because he or she wins 15 percent of the vote?

I think this aspect of the system works out fine.

I wouldn't mind seeing a third party gain enough popularity that we have a third choice, but for the most part it's ok.

I'm in agreement with NYGF in regards to the electoral college, however.
    Yes we have two choices now!!! I know this!! Think of just how many people live in this great country for just a second. Now think that all these people have just two ****ing guys to choose from. Is this the freedom of choice we are made to believe in or an illusion? Two people for all the near 300 million people is extremely ****ed up and the system is broken. My solution is getting rid of the two party system. Who cares if it is only 15% of the vote. At least the people will have a real choice for a change. And of course the electoral college is ****ed too. The only democratic nation that really a republic.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Yes we have two choices now!!! I know this!! Think of just how many people live in this great country for just a second. Now think that all these people have just two ****ing guys to choose from. Is this the freedom of choice we are made to believe in or an illusion? Two people for all the near 300 million people is extremely ****ed up and the system is broken.
    But you act like these two people were just given to us to choose from when that's not the case.

They were selected, by elections, to be the candidates for their respective parties.

My solution is getting rid of the two party system. Who cares if it is only 15% of the vote. At least the people will have a real choice for a change. And of course the electoral college is ****ed too. The only democratic nation that really a republic.
    I'd be in favor of having a viable 3rd, and perhaps a 4th party, but I wouldn't want it watered down any more than that.

I think it'd be a sad state of affairs if our leader is decided by 15 percent of the population.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    I never said he doesn't have the right not to vote. I think that's totally his choice. I just think it's unfair for him to then criticize the choices made by whoever's elected
    Why can't I complain? I have every right to and I am not the one who put these people in office.

MLB ERA

I agree that the electoral college is stupid, but it's a stretch to say your vote doesn't count.

They pretty much always go with the popular vote of the state they represent.
    If my memory is correct, Al Gore did not win TN in 2000.

But it is possible for the party to lose the popular vote wins the election. Wouldn't you rather just make the winner of the popular vote the winner of the election ALL the time and eliminate the possibility for the other way around?

I think it's hard for someone in another country to understand the feeling of being a minority party voter in a certain state. DK, I'm a Republican in Connecticut. Connecticut ALWAYS voted Democratic, the whole northeast usually does. So sometimes I feel like my vote won't matter. And then if I lived in a state like Texas which is ALWAYS Republican, I would feel like I didn't make a difference there either. It's almost like some peoples' votes have more value than others'. I know that's not true, but sometimes that's the feeling. I think if everyone's vote definitely counted the same in the popular vote across the country, it would be much better for voter turnout (although this year that could possibly be a record high).
    Bush lost the popular vote in 2000 and still managed to get his brother in Florida to bail him out from the so called recount.

MLB ERA

Nader was on my ballot today.
    Funny thing is that, I only had Obama and McCain on my ballots.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    If my memory is correct, Al Gore did not win TN in 2000.
    He didn't win TN in 2000 because the popular vote voted in favor of Bush.

I meant the electoral college pretty much always goes in favor of who wins the popular vote in their state, not in favor of the state the candidate represents.

Bush lost the popular vote in 2000 and still managed to get his brother in Florida to bail him out from the so called recount.
    I'm not going to get into the debate of what went on in Florida 8 years ago, but I said "pretty much always".

I believe that was only the 2nd time in the history of this nation that the loser of the popular vote won the Presidency....out of how many elections?

MLB ERA

Funny thing is that, I only had Obama and McCain on my ballots.
    That's weird.

I had Obama/Biden, McCain/Palin, Nader (and I forget the name of the running mate), and 3 other pairs of candidates on mine that I never heard of.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

But you act like these two people were just given to us to choose from when that's not the case.

They were selected, by elections, to be the candidates for their respective parties.

I'd be in favor of having a viable 3rd, and perhaps a 4th party, but I wouldn't want it watered down any more than that.

I think it'd be a sad state of affairs if our leader is decided by 15 percent of the population.
    No I don't act like they were given anything. Everyone on earth realizes the primary process. That's over now and not everyone gets to decide the primaries either. But now we are down to just two, 300 million people have to decide between just two people. Its the illusion of choice. The primaries are over. Get rid of the primaries and have an open election. People will eventually drop out at their own will, just like the primaries. Why would it be sad that our president won 15% of 300 million people's vote? Didn't the best person still win?

MLB ERA

He didn't win TN in 2000 because the popular vote voted in favor of Bush.

I meant the electoral college pretty much always goes in favor of who wins the popular vote in their state, not in favor of the state the candidate represents.

I'm not going to get into the debate of what went on in Florida 8 years ago, but I said "pretty much always".

I believe that was only the 2nd time in the history of this nation that the loser of the popular vote won the Presidency....out of how many elections?
    I mean he didn't even win the electoral votes from TN aswell! I was debating that year that if Gore had campaigned in TN and got some support from Clinton for AK(he lost the electoral there aswell), he would have that year.

MLB ERA

I mean he didn't even win the electoral votes from TN aswell! I was debating that year that if Gore had campaigned in TN and got some support from Clinton for AK(he lost the electoral there aswell), he would have that year.
    Oh,

well, what does that have to do with what you bolded in my post?

MLB ERA

Why can't I complain? I have every right to and I am not the one who put these people in office.
    Exactly my point. You didn't vote, so you didn't do anything to KEEP them from going into office. That's why i don't think you should complain
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Oh,

well, what does that have to do with what you bolded in my post?
    What I meant is that, I doesn't matter sometimes what state they represent, its not a given that they are going to win from there home state.

MLB ERA

What I meant is that, I doesn't matter sometimes what state they represent, its not a given that they are going to win from there home state.
    I wasn't talking about the state the candidate represents I was talking about the state the electoral college represents.

IE, they generally vote with the popular vote of their state.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Exactly my point. You didn't vote, so you didn't do anything to KEEP them from going into office. That's why i don't think you should complain
    That's stupid!! That's exactly like saying "You voted for the guy who won so you can't complain". Everyone can complain. I did not vote for the guy and since the election did not come down to one vote, I have every right to complain about what other people put in office.

MLB ERA

PS: 2000 was the 3rd time a candidate lost the popular vote and won the election. If I'm not mistaken, that happened in 1800, 1876, and 2000.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast