Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Seat Answers #73 - missionhockey21

MLB ERA

Hot Seat Answers #73 - missionhockey21

missionhockey21, your Hot Seat questions have been asked in this thread. You have up to 7 days in which to answer these questions, should you choose to do so. Once you have done that, please select the next Hot Seat participant. Thank you for participating. The next Hot Seat (#74) will begin on Saturday, May 16th, or when you're done answering, whichever comes first.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Hot Seat Answers #73 - missionhockey21

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Pacino View Post
    1. As aspiring leader of the free world, what three things would you immediately do if you were the President of the United States. AND ANY SIMPSONS REFERENCES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED, YA HEAR ME LEADER *****.

2. If the following players could be TV Shows, which TV Shows would they be:
    Albert Pujols
    Jimmy Rollins
    Kyle Farnsworth
    Corey Patterson
    Randy Johnson
    Alex Rodriguez
    Jason Giambi
    Oliver Perez

3. Which movies that I acted in did you actually like and why?
    1. Essentially reevaluate American business and debt. Both parties are colossal failures when it comes to this sadly.
    -Perform an indepth audit of every expenditure the government makes.
    -Cut anything that is not vital to the success of the USA as a nation or gives great benefits to its citizens.
    -Begin reinvesting in USA industry and not buzzwords, ultimately to begin paying back China and all other countries we are indebted to.

2. Good question.
    Albert Pujols - Rome: His career stats will resemble a great empire.
    Jimmy Rollins - Pushing Daisies: The dude is hitting .195 right now through 120 AB's, ouch.
    Kyle Farnsworth - Chaotic: If every episode was him beating on people like he did to Paul Wilson.
    Corey Patterson - Lost: That's how he appears everytime he steps up to bat.
    Randy Johnson - N/A: He took out the camera guys before any filming could occur.
    Alex Rodriguez - Privileged
    Jason Giambi - Denise Richards: It's Complicated
    Oliver Perez - Carnivale: His game to game performance is pretty much a rollercoaster.

3. Top 15 "films" (The Local Stigmatic really isn't a film like how The Godfather is, but it is a great little gem for film nerds.)
    The Panic In Needle Park
    The Godfather
    Serpico
    The GodFather Part II
    Dog Day Afternoon
    ...And Justice For All
    Scarface
    Dick Tracy
    The Local Stigmatic
    Carlito's Way
    Heat
    Donnie Brasco
    The Devil's Advocate
    The Insider
    Insomnia

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    1. What is missionhockey?
    2. Who is a player that has caught your eye early this season they you didn't see coming?
    3. Name a celebrity that you would ****? kill? marry? and then one more you would kill?
    1. Mission is a hockey brand started back in the 90's for inline hockey gear which is really my sport (to play) over ice. They make the best skates and really changed the way inline hockey skates were produced as years ago. I've played on a quasi sponsored team years ago as well done product testing so I have a big affinity for Mission.

2. Aaron Hill of the Blue Jays. Ask me three months ago if Hill, a sub .750 OPS career guy, would be hitting .353 with 8 dingers in May and I would have punched Kingdom_of_Zito in the face. Unbelievable. I mean he is a guy who obviously has shown talent in the past, almost 50 doubles in 2007, but he has caught fire to a level that I just did not see coming at all.

3. It's lame, and I know the game, but I am not going to wish that kind of bad juju on anyone, so kill would be a swift chop to the jugular, kung-fu style.

Scarlett Johansson. Tila Tequila. Natalie Portman. Brody Jenner (I've seen enough glimpes of "The Hills while over at one of girl's houses on campus to know how much of a douche he is.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    hey mission, sup.

1. Lawrence Arms or Hot Water Music?
    2. biggest struggle to run a site like this, bar none? And to make this a two-part question to sqeeze 4 into 3.... biggest struggle running yr sim league over the years? Curious to hear both.
    3. is it true if you live by the funk, you die by the FUNK?!

thanks dude, one love
    1. Extremely tough choice here. I love both so much and if someone tells me "Oh, this band sounds like Hot Water Music" I am sold and I will listen to them like ASAP. Chuck Ragan is gold and I think I own about everything he has done with a band or solo. However, The Lawrence Arms is like my most listenable band, I can listen to them anytime. I listen to everything from sugarely sweet indie pop to the complete opposite spectrum, but those extremes I can get pretty tired of or just might now be in the mood for them, with the Larry Arms though, I am always game to listen. If I didn't ever listen to them, my taste in music would be different for sure. One of the reasons I love them so much is the dual vocals and how a song Chris sings is so different than what Brandon sings, and the concept works in perfect harmony. But man.... I love Caution...

Great question.

2. Site: The details. There is so much to running a site like this that is nothing short of amazing. We have different browsers, different resolutions, 10+ different usergroups, different permission levels for each usergroup, 40 or 50 forums all with unique settings that sometimes require me to edit each to make the same change (but over and over again), 30+ styles to design for, and much more. That is not even including me having to learn new programs or code or finding what I need (be it an addition to the site or someone to code it if I can't.) I think a lot of people think that creating a forum is easy, and it is, they just don't understand how difficult it is to transform a forum that has a purpose in just posting and discussing topics to a full fledged site with an identity.

Sim: Keeping it fresh. My league has been going for years now, like over five years or something. You have to give the people something good, something different to keep people interested. It is tough though when you try to run a fairly realistic league of how to do this as I easily could have really changed things up many times, but I like the changes to feel organic and natural to what the league is about. That and just keeping a consistent sim pattern throughout my entire college years, has been interesting to say the least.

3. If you lived, and I mean truly lived, by the funk, then there is no way else you can die nor would want to die by any other measure that isn't funky.

Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    OK, here are my questions then:

1. do you enjoy answering questions that you were already asked and answered in previous editions of the hot seat? why or why not?

2. what are your thoughts on people that honk their horn over and over again when picking someone up instead of calling them with their cell or getting out of their vehicle and knocking on the door?

3. what is your favorite kind of beer and why? if you don't drink beer, what is your favorite kind of cheese and why?
    1. I honestly do not remember what questions I answered or not. After countless books I've read, articles written, papers for school completed and more, the last time I did this was so long ago that I am foggy. I am like an elderly person with dementia, I might not remember you (the question), but its just nice to have company (questions asked.)

It doesn't bother me either way to be honest as it was so long ago for me and the site (since we have had members come and go), that I think its fine to have some repeats.

2. Lazy, inconsiderate, and ignorant. They think that the world is simply something that reacts around them. And if they are doing it without parking (ie just sitting in the middle of the street,) they should be ticketed. We truly live in a society where people think less about those around them and more about themselves and its sad as it probably will only get worse in our lifetime.

3. Beer: Grolsch Weizen
    Cheese: Super fresh mozzarella (I wish I had some right now to make a little tomato and mozzarella salad.) There are more exotic cheeses that I like, but I love the texture and taste of really good and fresh mozzarella.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    2. Aaron Hill of the Blue Jays. Ask me three months ago if Hill, a sub .750 OPS career guy, would be hitting .353 with 8 dingers in May and I would have punched Kingdom_of_Zito in the face. Unbelievable. I mean he is a guy who obviously has shown talent in the past, almost 50 doubles in 2007, but he has caught fire to a level that I just did not see coming at all.
    Hes an abusive leader I tell ya.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

3. Beer: Grolsch Weizen
    Sounds like you just choked on a giant ball of super fresh mozzarella. What was that favorite beer again? A little more clearly and less throaty this time please.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    1. If the Reds could acquire one MLB player you'd want them to get...
    2. What is the next big sport to hit the airwaves? Ping-Pong maybe?
    3. If you had to get rid of Mel Kiper or Tom Luginbill off of the ESPN airwaves who would you remove and why?
    1. Hanley Ramirez. Shortstop is a blackhole offensively for the Reds and Ramirez would bring so much to the lineup as well as fitting in with the youth core and adding to the speed depth in the lineup. Ramirez-Votto-Bruce as the middle of the order for the Reds? As likely as me getting a date with Jessica Biel, but everyone can dream I suppose.

2. Honestly, I don't know. There are so many sports channels that it seems like every sport is covered to some degree, even table tennis. We could start seeing some really obscure stuff on the more fringe sports channels, maybe dance offs or croquet. As an avid watcher of Cheap Seats, I just can't imagine what else they can put on TV that they haven't already. I do however think that the NHL will be able to return to more prominent coverage when their national TV deal is done. The game is so exciting right now and ratings are up on Vs that I think its just a matter of time.

3. I don't watch football, so either could go for all I care. But if I had to pick, Mel Kiper. ESPN is so annoying with his overuse and as someone who again doesn't really watch football, he is usually taking time away from talking about the MLB/NHL/NBA.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Sounds like you just choked on a giant ball of super fresh mozzarella. What was that favorite beer again? A little more clearly and less throaty this time please.

A rare treat.

MLB ERA

1. Extremely tough choice here. I love both so much and if someone tells me "Oh, this band sounds like Hot Water Music" I am sold and I will listen to them like ASAP. Chuck Ragan is gold and I think I own about everything he has done with a band or solo. However, The Lawrence Arms is like my most listenable band, I can listen to them anytime. I listen to everything from sugarely sweet indie pop to the complete opposite spectrum, but those extremes I can get pretty tired of or just might now be in the mood for them, with the Larry Arms though, I am always game to listen. If I didn't ever listen to them, my taste in music would be different for sure. One of the reasons I love them so much is the dual vocals and how a song Chris sings is so different than what Brandon sings, and the concept works in perfect harmony. But man.... I love Caution...

Great question.

2. Site: The details. There is so much to running a site like this that is nothing short of amazing. We have different browsers, different resolutions, 10+ different usergroups, different permission levels for each usergroup, 40 or 50 forums all with unique settings that sometimes require me to edit each to make the same change (but over and over again), 30+ styles to design for, and much more. That is not even including me having to learn new programs or code or finding what I need (be it an addition to the site or someone to code it if I can't.) I think a lot of people think that creating a forum is easy, and it is, they just don't understand how difficult it is to transform a forum that has a purpose in just posting and discussing topics to a full fledged site with an identity.

Sim: Keeping it fresh. My league has been going for years now, like over five years or something. You have to give the people something good, something different to keep people interested. It is tough though when you try to run a fairly realistic league of how to do this as I easily could have really changed things up many times, but I like the changes to feel organic and natural to what the league is about. That and just keeping a consistent sim pattern throughout my entire college years, has been interesting to say the least.

3. If you lived, and I mean truly lived, by the funk, then there is no way else you can die nor would want to die by any other measure that isn't funky.

Badass. I think I can agree on HWM vs Lawrence Arms. I can listen to the Arms any time as well. I can't do that with much music anymore

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Back on topic now,

1. Where does S3F personally rank in your life, in terms of meaning and value.

2. How successful would your team be if you have an American League lineup, in a decent park, consisting of 9 Adam Dunn's (yes at every position).

3. Let's say you decided for one week to abuse your God-like abilities here and could change the username of these people to ANYTHING that you want. What would you change them too:

Porter99
    Nick
    DirtyKash
    Providence A's
    McKain
    Kingdom_of_Zito
    Doppelganger
    1. I mean, its important. A lot of my time has been spent working on this place. I've chosen to get X done before going to sleep, or coming home to finish Y after an exam when I really wanted to go out and have some fun. I take pride in what I do and I am committed to the vision created for the site. Will it ever be attained? I don't know, but it won't be for a lack of trying. The site doesn't come at the expense of my personal life as I do prioritize, but it is very important to me to the point that I could have by now branched out into some different online ideas/ventures, but I just do not have the time for anything else as I do pay such close attention to S3F and working toward improving it with each action I take.

2. Based on his stats as of the 12th, the lineup would score 9.1833 runs per game. I am assuming Dunn is not pitching and a league average pitcher is, that this is the AL and there is a DH, and that the ballpark is friendly to lefhander sluggers (why else would they get 9 Adam Dunns.) If that was the case, I would figure the defense would be at -3 runs per game than the average defense, factor in hits that have relatively little to do with any fielding capability, I'd say 77-83 wins. Right now, you can't deny the impact of a bat like that in every spot of the lineup, but the defense up the middle would be so painfully hilarious that you could set it's highlights to the zany Benny Hill music.

3. Porter99- Porter Washington (the next teen sensation)
    Nick- Nick Cave and The Bad Hammers
    DirtyKash- The Canadian Commissioner
    Providence A's- I <3 Yankees & Red Sox Coverage
    McKain- Where In The World Is Carmen McKainiego?
    Kingdom_of_Zito- Pasta Ziti (al dente)
    Doppelganger- Regnagleppod

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    Are you superstitious about anything?

Favourite midnight snack is...?

What do you think the most useless class in high school/college is?
    1. Oh yeah. My big thing is to keep positive vibes flowing and don't let the negative thoughts ever verbalize, once they do and if that bad thing happened, I will blame it all on the words actually being spoken. I don't really rationally believe that once I look at the situation from a clear mind later, but right after whatever happened happened, I certainly do. Good thoughts people, good thoughts.

2. Bowl of frosted flakes with a lot of milk so you can have the leftover cereal milk at the end. If I wake up hungry, that holds me over pretty well until the morning. But I am a big milk drinker, I probably drink a gallon and a half of 2% over a week by myself.

3. I really think the core classes in high school all have merit, varying degrees of course, but merit. College is a little different as the curriculum is so different depending on the university, degree selected, etc. I will however mention the most useless class I took and that was an elective taken in high school for the easy A and that was "Current Events." Part geography, part reading NewsWeek and part sleeping. We would write about current topics and take geography and current event quizzes. As someone who already followed the news, this was useless but easy.

Alright, that's it for now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    1) Where did you learn so much about building a forum, and where did the inspiration for S3F come from?

2) Boxing or MMA and why?

3) Tell us a story from the drunkest you've ever been. If you don't drink, tell us a story from the craziest thing you've ever done.
    1. Nowhere in particular really. I have learned what I've needed to learn, whether it was designing graphics, placing ad code, learning the ins and outs of vBulletin to anything else. To complete S3F as you have seen it over the past few years would have cost such a sum of money that it was much simpler to just learn how to do it myself. Not only was this a great exercise in learning how to perfect (or seek perfection) of an idea I had, but I also developed many skills that I use in other areas of my life and eventually my career (such as connecting once again with my artistic side is not a bad thing for someone who has received a major in marketing and is expected to deliver creativity.)

As for the inspiration of the site, I touched on this briefly above. But essentially I did not see any other forum that did this. That had all teams, that was big in scope, and had a sincere attitude. Too many forums and sites that attempt to appeal to guys our age come off as forced and lame. Edgy for the sake of being edgy is not what this site has ever been about. S3F was really developed for someone like myself, likes baseball, likes to laugh, and likes to have some fun. I have worked on other projects where the client certainly is not me and I can respect that, but I wanted a site that could pull it all off: serious discussion, humor, stat head arguments, off-topic chatter and more. But most importantly I wanted this all to come together to really allow for a community to develop and flourish. As this is not a one note type of site, I feel that the discussion has limitless possibilities really and that the community can hold strong even during the dullest periods of the year for baseball action, which it has.

2. Boxing, easy. Boxing involves much more strategy, poise, and intelligence. Would the MMA guys knock the snot out of me and some boxers? Sure. It is not completely devoid of the qualities I mentioned but it doesn't have the same capacity for a game changer like boxing does or an artfully laid out punch out plan to victory.

3. Had a connection at a rink. Organized a night time inline hockey tournament (no property was damaged or stolen, the rink was locked up afterward.) 4 teams, 24 total players. Absurd rules were put in place, like everyone was forced to hand in their stick and received back one of opposite hand (so if you have a lefthand blade, you get a righthand stick in return to play the tourney), Gatorade and water was in the penalty box and the penalty box only and anyone who wanted to get a drink from it were in a "blind eye ref zone".... and there is a lot more, some I remember and some I don't. We played until about 5:30 in the morning, it was completely crazy and something we never ever talked about at the rink for obvious fear.

I have probably crazier things, but that was by far the funnest.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    1. You've been sent into outer space to intercept a deadly asteroid that's headed towards Earth and about to destroy the planet. Your crew successfully lands on the asteroid and plants the bomb, but the remote detonator does not work! Someone has to stay behind to manually set it off! (Essentially, you're Bruce Willis from Armaggedon.) Would you volunteer to sacrifice your life for the sake of 6 billion people? What would make you choose not to stay back, if anything (and since you're the crew chief, you could basically designate one of your crew members to take the hit instead)? What would be your last words to your girlfriend (essentially Liv Tyler) who's back on Earth at NASA headquarters crying her heart out and watching you on the tv monitor?

2. Who would win in a fight and why: Jean Claude Van Damme or Steven Seagal?

3. Aside from Jeff Goldblum's amazing plan of uploading a Windows 95 virus onto the alien mothership's CPU, what was the next biggest plot hole from Independence Day that really bothered you?
    1. Would I sacrifice myself if needed? No question. If essentially all of humanity depended on my sacrifice, no question.

What would make me choose not to stay back? So many things. I have never owned a manual transmission car. I have never had 40 year old scotch. I have not yet seen the Crosby and Malkin Pens win a Cup. I have never written and submit a TV series script to the major networks. I have hundreds of books on my 'must read' list. I haven't even begun my career yet. The list goes on.

"The burden of a man with a heavy heart sees no match when the ultimate sacrifice protects the one person that his love knows no limits for."

2. JCVD. Easy. He made Bloodsport, c'mon.

3. Ok, first off, that plot hole is one of the FUNNIEST things to make it to cinema. I mean I cant' even get half of my programs to work on my Mac but there is an alien Bill Gates somewhere and they happen to have software compatible with ours... despite their numerous technological advances. Wouldn't their computer systems be a little, I don't know, better?

That aside, Will Smith gets into the alien fighter ship and it just so happens to be close enough to what the Earth Americans made that after one little slip up, he is flying it like a pro? I mean did the writer(s) take us for fools? If someone has never driven a stick, they don't exactly learn in a minute just because it's "kind of close to an automatic." Again, their technology is so close that despite seeing the design and fashioning of a plane to be so different, they are on the exact same wavelengths as our engineers to design the working mechanics and controls of it to be virtually the same? Now I am pissed off, thanks DK.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

For real. The alien fighter ship even had two convenient human-sized seats in the cockpit, one for the captain and one for the co-captain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast