5 15.63%
  • Non-first ballot Hall of Famer

15 46.88%
  • Not Hall of Famer

12 37.50%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: McGwire a HOFer?

MLB ERA
    I know this is a little old but this article just came out two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AJC.com
    Simpson: McGwire's not Hall material
    Braves broadcaster says 'I'm a purist' about banned substances

Published on: 01/05/07

Joe Simpson thinks Mark McGwire doesn't belong in Cooperstown, now or ever.

The Braves broadcaster and former major leaguer discussed his views about McGwire as a player and as a citizen called to testify before Congress with staff writer Karen Rosen. The class of 2007 will be announced Tuesday.

Q: Do you think McGwire should be in the Hall of Fame?

A: If I could vote for him, I would not. Because he had an opportunity to do the right thing before Congress and do the right thing for kids who might follow his lead, and instead he sat on the bench and was a wimp.

I hope they don't [vote him in] and I hope he looks back on that opportunity and realizes he messed up. But I can't honestly predict it right now. There are a lot of people who want to do the right thing and say he's innocent until proven guilty, nobody knows for sure. Well, we know for sure. Anybody who saw him come out of college, saw him play in Oakland in the late 1980s and for St. Louis, it was pretty obvious.

Q: Androstenedione [the performance-enhancing substance seen in McGwire's locker] wasn't banned at that time.

A: It's still illegal. If you were doing steroids, it's still illegal whether baseball had any sanctions or not. That's guilty right there for me.

I'm a purist, very much a traditionalist. I'm sure there are guys in the Hall of Fame who did some illegal things that we'll never know about. This day and age, you try to do the right thing by younger players and younger people, and [he] messed up and had the chance to clean it up and had the tact he took before Congress, and that was kind of pitiful.

When it comes to the sanctity of the game, I don't like it when people try to cut corners and take illegal edges that might affect the outcome of the game, and especially if you set the records that he set. I promise that Roger Maris never took steroids and neither did Henry Aaron.

Q: Do you think the controversy over McGwire will overshadow the expected election of Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn?

A: It'd almost be embarrassing if Mark got inducted to go in with those guys. They were standup guys, they came by their numbers honestly and through hard work. They didn't have to resort to other means.

I'm very upset about the whole thing. I'll be just as upset when Barry Bonds breaks Aaron's [career home run] record -– if he does it. ... It's very tainted for me.

Q:The debate about McGwire could go on for 15 years (the length of time a player is on the ballot).

A: It'll go on forever, be a controversy very much like the Pete Rose stuff. Everyone will talk and disagree and debate. It depends on what side of the fence you're on.

We'll just wait and see.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Essentially, McGwire broke absolutely no rules and was one of the best of his era. It just so happens that era will forever be known as the "Steroid Era". You can't say who was on roids and who wasn't. Voting for the HOF is based on who was the best of that certain era. McGwire should get in the HOF eventually but it doesn't look like that will happen today.

MLB ERA
    Thanks man. I totally forgot that today was the HoF show on MLB.com.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Essentially, McGwire broke absolutely no rules and was one of the best of his era. It just so happens that era will forever be known as the "Steroid Era". You can't say who was on roids and who wasn't. Voting for the HOF is based on who was the best of that certain era. McGwire should get in the HOF eventually but it doesn't look like that will happen today.
    He was one of the best HR hitters of his era(thanks to drugs) but he wasn't one of the best players of his era.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well I got 12 all star appearances in 16 years, ROY award, 583 homeruns and a career .394 OBP that says otherwise but you can think what you want. You just aren't right!

AA ERA
    Well I got 12 all star appearances in 16 years, ROY award, 583 homeruns and a career .394 OBP that says otherwise but you can think what you want. You just aren't right!
    I agree with reefer, he was one of the best players of his time even if it was only because of the long ball. As mentioned in previous posts, McGwire broke no rules during the steroid era even "IF" he did use them. Remember, while he didn't deny his use, he didn't admit that he did either and until evidence proves otherwise I still say he should have gotten in.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    MESSAGE SENT TO ALL "SO-CALLED" 'ROID USERS!!! Is Bonds next? I think he should be prepeared to be denied also... Record or no record. I mean if the media is not going to put in Big Mac, then they will probably be even MORE HARSH on Bonds.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Bonds is going to get 40% of the vote on his first year of eligibility. If the writers are this pissed at Mac, then Bonds is going to get destroyed.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Ah Yep!!!!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    It does seem funny that everyone ignored the fact back when he was breaking records...but now it's 9 years later and all of a sudden the eyes of the baseball world have collectively opened. I will say this for McGwire - all he had to do was deny taking anything unwilling other than andro and he's a surefire HoFer. I think what kills him is the fact that he won't admit to anything, leading people to suspect andro wasn't the only drug involved back in his prime years.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    browntown--- Again-- 2 words for ya' AH YEP!!

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    It does seem funny that everyone ignored the fact back when he was breaking records...but now it's 9 years later and all of a sudden the eyes of the baseball world have collectively opened. I will say this for McGwire - all he had to do was deny taking anything unwilling other than andro and he's a surefire HoFer. I think what kills him is the fact that he won't admit to anything, leading people to suspect andro wasn't the only drug involved back in his prime years.
    I agree. If you watch the part where he was questioned he froze a bit before answering, almost debating whether he should listen to his attorney (which ultimately screwed him) or do what his conscience told him to do and admit to what he had or hadn't done.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    McGwire used Andro, which was legal when he used it, so I dont see why these voters/baseball writers wont vote him in? There logic is pretty pathetic IMO. Andro has been around since the 60s, why did you guys ****ing vote for anyone who played from the 60s to 05s? You can have crap ass cheaters like Gaylod Perry who's in.
    These voters should be stripped from voting period, they have no knowledge what so ever, there nothing but of bunch ignorant hypacrites.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Big Mac will NOT be in the hall of fame untill he tells his side of his steriods use. A guy who should be in the hall of fame is Pete Rose. The all time hit king, yes gambled and lied about it but there are worse players in the hall of fame.

Joe Jackson should be in the hall as well. He had no idea what happened, he could not read or sign his own name! How can he not be in? He hit well and played great in the field. Some day when Bud pulls his head out of his ass the players that should be in will be in!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AAA ERA
    As if AS apperances mean much, they are popularity contests and he was a popular player b/c he could hit HRs.

ALL he could do was hit HRs, he wasn't evena good RBI guy. In 16 seasons only SIX times did he finish top 10 in RBI and only 4 times top 5- that's not a great player. he was a terrible defensive player, he only had 1,626 hits, he won ONE major award and that was the ROY thanks to the juiced ball. Only 3 times in his career was he top 5 in MVP voting(only 1 of the in non-steroid years). The man was athe Dave Kkingman of his generation. kingman played 15 seasons and had 442 HR to go w/ 1,575 hits. The only categories both kingman and Mcgwire were always near the top in were HRs and HRs per AB except kingman w/o steroids stayed from 11 to 16 while Mcgwire went from 11-17 down to 7-8 consistently. i amde a mistake, Mcgwire walked more- that's the difference btw the 2, givre Kingman steroids and he has 600+ Hrs and would that be enough for the HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    McGwire used Andro, which was legal when he used it, so I dont see why these voters/baseball writers wont vote him in? There logic is pretty pathetic IMO. Andro has been around since the 60s, why did you guys ****ing vote for anyone who played from the 60s to 05s? You can have crap ass cheaters like Gaylod Perry who's in.
    These voters should be stripped from voting period, they have no knowledge what so ever, there nothing but of bunch ignorant hypacrites.
    If you think he was crying in front of Congress b/c he used andro you just don't have a clue.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast