Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jays GM lashes out at Dunn for no reason

MLB ERA

News Jays GM lashes out at Dunn for no reason

The Blue Jays GM J.P. Riccardi went off on Adam Dunn over the radio the other day when a listener asked about the Jays possibly acquiring Dunn. Looks like we can eliminate this trade possibility....

He didn't really have any reason to attack Dunn, and he even broke some unwritten GM rules by speaking out about another team's player, good or bad. Here's what he said:

Let me ask you something. What do you know about Adam Dunn? He's a lifetime .230, .240 hitter that strikes out a ton and hits home runs. Do you know that the guy really doesn't like baseball all that much? Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player? There's a reason why you're attracted to some players and there's a reason why you're not attracted to some players. I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here.
    Dunn's response:
    I know nothing about this clown. I have no idea who he is. I don't really care what one guy thinks, to be honest with you. If I'm a GM, I don't know if I would go out of my way to kind of discredit a player. It [ticks] me off, to be honest with you. He doesn't even know me. If he knew me, fine, say what you want. This guy doesn't know anything about me, other than what he sees on whatever 'SportsCenter' they have up there. That's it.
    Dunn continues:
    If anything happens, I ain't going to Toronto. I can eliminate one team. I'm not converting my dollars to loonies and toonies just yet.
    Dusty Baker responds:
    It serves no purpose. That's not like J.P., either. I don't understand the cause or the need for that dialogue. I ain't in that. All I know is that, if I'm Adam Dunn, they'd have a hard time getting me out, no lie.
    Why would Riccardi say something like that? Beats me, all it does is make him look like an angry man who needs to take out his frustration for his teams' suckiness on someone else. That's not too much of a good thing when GM's, especially ones from Canada, don't get much media coverage, and any they do leaves a lasting impression on fans.

Two thumbs down to J.P. Riccardi
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Jays GM lashes out at Dunn for no reason

Ooooooh, fight fight
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

it was in response to Toronto fans asking him if they Jays would try to get Dunn. They've scouted him so they know about him. And I'm sure Dunn knows who he is. It wasn't exactly all that professional, but I think there is a lot of truth to what he said.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    it was in response to Toronto fans asking him if they Jays would try to get Dunn. They've scouted him so they know about him. And I'm sure Dunn knows who he is. It wasn't exactly all that professional, but I think there is a lot of truth to what he said.
    No, they don't. Adam Dunn has been one of the most consistently productive run creators in the game for years now and he is only 28. Is the most productive? Of course not. But to discredit a guy who works hard, hard enough where his defensive statistics have improved quite a bit and can get on-base with power is just petty.

Riccardi is a bitter, overrated GM. Hey JP, how has releasing Thomas worked out for you jackass? Those 50 or whatever AB's in Toronto this year obviously warranted that reaction.

MLB ERA

My favorite line: "I can eliminate one team. I'm not converting my dollars to loonies and toonies just yet."

+Rep for Adam Dunn

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's just tasteless. He could have simply said that he doesn't think Adam Dunn's skill set matches with what they are seeking or even been blunt about it, but to question his passion and act as if a plague would be brought to Toronto is just weird.

But for the record, I am glad he did it. Let the jackasses talk, let Dunn's value go down and then let the Reds sign him cheaper to a new deal.... works for me.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    No, they don't.
    no they don't what? Scout him? I'm sure they've scouted him at some point...considering he's been rumored to be traded all the time it seems. regardless, I'm sure they've seen him or know about him outside of ESPNcanada...as I said, it wasn't professional, but what would his motivation be for saying that? There must at least be some truth to what he said. And yes, he's not exactly the best GM. I just don't see why he'd say all that for no good reason at all.

It really doesn't matter; the Jays aren't interested in him regardless of whether or not he was interested at all. I'm sure he'll probably stay with the Reds since I can't see anyone giving up what I'm sure the Reds would want for him. Fair or not, like it or not...many people view him as a 1 dimensional type player. I think he'd make a great DH if traded to the AL or if he signed there though.

MLB ERA

I'm sorry for our GM being a total idiot, the Jays need Dunn really badly and was hoping for a trade, but I guess I can stop since the idiot GM opened his big mouth and trashed a player openly like that.

Great job JP
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

CBS needs to sign both up for a saturday night fight.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    CBS needs to sign both up for a saturday night fight.
    no, no, no...Fox Celebrity Boxing needs to make a comeback...

Pitty comments for sure, but maybe it will light a fire under Dunn's butt.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think JP has been listening to the media far too often. They may have scouted him, but scouts don't report on player's interests or lack thereof. This just makes me wonder what other GMs are thinking about him. Surely JP Riccardi is going to have to save face and publicly apologize for this. At which point, I wonder if he states this feeling is shared between several clubs.

Sorry Halladay_is_God, but your GM just put his foot in his mouth.

I hope the positive things that come out of this are two fold. I hope that Dunn goes on a tear and shows other GMs his value. And I also hope that this is common dialogue throughout MLB and that Dunn will end up resigning with the Reds. We are going to really need him the next several years.

MLB ERA

its not the first time redsr, believe me, and I wanted him long gone last year but the Owner and higher ups sit on their ass and count their money before they will do anything

in April last year he basically lied to everyone saying BJ Ryan's elbow was ok, couple of days later he's out for the season, so I'm not sure how he still has a job (except throwing bench coaches under the bus)
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

And here I thought he was a decent GM all this time. Your team looked solid this year, albeit a bit old and tired, but solid all around. I have to credit him for that, but these mistakes will only take him to one place. Thats out the door. Wayne Krivsky says hello...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

How close is Lind to the big club Halladay? He'd be a pretty valuable bat for the future of that outfield anyway. Lind, Wells, and Rios would be pretty nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast