Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Random Rumblings Take 3

MLB ERA

Re: 2008 Random Rumblings Take 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    You can easily skew the statistics by playing with with the integer thingies. Example, nick changed a few things in TPSL and pitching league wide hit the fan. Whatever mission has his set to is as about perfect as you'd want it.
    Yeah, you are right. Every league is different depending on the number of players in the league. Mission has had a long time to perfect his settings. We're only a few sims into the league.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    Idk, I have 4 very decent if not high level starters, and 3 of them have ERA's of 4.92, 4.93, and 5.51. McGowan is the lowest of the staff at 3.70. There's not much to explain these very high numbers.
    small sample size? A lot of players start off bad, and then get better as the season goes on.

Here are the top 20 pitchers in the league. I don't think it looks that bad.

# TOP 10 ERA ERA
    1 J. Bonderman (LVH) 1.98
    2 C. Zambrano (CHI) 2.08
    3 K. Loe (DET) 2.57
    4 B. Webb (CSK) 2.71
    5 B. Sheets (NYM) 2.79
    6 R. Harden (KOU) 2.82
    7 R. Hill (PIT) 3.02
    8 C. Carpenter (MIA) 3.08
    9 J. Lester (SHA) 3.09
    10 B. Kim (PRV) 3.15

# TOP 10 ERA ERA
    1 R. Oswalt (CAN) 2.01
    2 R. Tucker (SFN) 2.05
    3 J. Francis (HSP) 2.08
    4 O. Perez (CAN) 2.39
    5 B. League (ALA) 2.64
    6 J. Beckett (GMC) 2.69
    7 J. Peavy (GAC) 2.74
    8 M. Mulder (ALA) 3.27
    9 C. Hamels (COL) 3.35
    10 N. Robertson (HSP) 3.50

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    small sample size? A lot of players start off bad, and then get better as the season goes on.
    I completely agree. However, it's hard to overlook that the top staff ERA in the league is 4.11
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I completely agree. However, it's hard to overlook that the top staff ERA in the league is 4.11

True, but like I said, I think that has a lot to do with the middle relief problem that we have. My top 3 starters have really good ERA's, but my bullpen inflates it to 4.12. I think most teams have that problem if they have good starting pitching. It isn't being overlookd, just examined to determine the real cause.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

the league ERAs are over 5.00, that can all be explained away by relief pitching. It could be some combo of watered down talent due to 32 teams and the settings. Just look at the hitting...it appears to be up IIRC (can't check now as that site is blocked at work).

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    the league ERAs are over 5.00, that can all be explained away by relief pitching. It could be some combo of watered down talent due to 32 teams and the settings. Just look at the hitting...it appears to be up IIRC (can't check now as that site is blocked at work).
    I think I mentioned all of those possibilities. The relief situation I know is a problem, and that is definitly making the ERA's go up. Is it the only problem? I doubt it, but it may be the biggest problem. Is the league watered down due ot there being 32 teams? Yep, I know this is true, I also mentioned this as a problem, and I'm working on a solution for this also. Are the settings a problem? Probably, like I said, it will take some time to figure out the perfect settings for this league due to the amount of players and the amount of teams. I'm working on these problems, but please be patient in the meantime. This isn't the first league I've ever commished.

MLB ERA

I think I mentioned all of those possibilities. The relief situation I know is a problem, and that is definitly making the ERA's go up. Is it the only problem? I doubt it, but it may be the biggest problem. Is the league watered down due ot there being 32 teams? Yep, I know this is true, I also mentioned this as a problem, and I'm working on a solution for this also. Are the settings a problem? Probably, like I said, it will take some time to figure out the perfect settings for this league due to the amount of players and the amount of teams. I'm working on these problems, but please be patient in the meantime. This isn't the first league I've ever commished.
    I know that...you were doing it before I ever even participated in an OOTP league. I understand. I really only remember you really saying it was because of the relief...but as you said, it's clearly a combo of those things.

All I know is that I'm 10th in ERA...at 5.05 2 of my starters are over 5, 1 is very close to 5, and another is half a run below 5. My bullpen isn't doing much better, I think those 4 starters have a lot more innings than the guys in my pen do...

on the flip side, my team is batting .269, which is good for 26th...my Cardinals in TSSL hit .271, which was good for 9th. And I don't think anyone would say that team or this team are offensively challenged...

MLB ERA

It's a 32 team league with a pretty bare minor league system. So there will be some growing pains. Hopefully things will settle down when we start adding more players through the draft, ect.

bump

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    You can easily skew the statistics by playing with with the integer thingies. Example, nick changed a few things in TPSL and pitching league wide hit the fan. Whatever mission has his set to is as about perfect as you'd want it.
    Yeah, you are right. Every league is different depending on the number of players in the league. Mission has had a long time to perfect his settings. We're only a few sims into the league.
    bump

MLB ERA

right, there's no margin for error, but the settings appear to be off regardless.

I don't pay attention to what KoZ says

MLB ERA

I know that...you were doing it before I ever even participated in an OOTP league. I understand. I really only remember you really saying it was because of the relief...but as you said, it's clearly a combo of those things.
    I bumped a couple of comments that I made about it. Also, I wasn't directign all of that at just you either prov. I just used your post to try and let everyone know that the issues aren't being ignored, it just takes time. Especially with a new league that is doing different types of things.

MLB ERA

I don't pay attention to what KoZ says
    you should, he's a real smart guy
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

right, there's no margin for error, but the settings appear to be off regardless.
    I know they are, but I'm working on getting them fixed. Wait... you aren't complaining are you?

MLB ERA

don't worry, I'll just bail when another one of my specs dies...!!!

edit: the settings are like that for everyone so it's purely an aesthetic thing...in other words, the pitching just looks ugly, but it's ugly for everyone.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Here are the top 20 pitchers in the league. I don't think it looks that bad.

# TOP 10 ERA ERA
    1 J. Bonderman (LVH) 1.98
    2 C. Zambrano (CHI) 2.08
    3 K. Loe (DET) 2.57
    4 B. Webb (CSK) 2.71
    5 B. Sheets (NYM) 2.79
    6 R. Harden (KOU) 2.82
    7 R. Hill (PIT) 3.02
    8 C. Carpenter (MIA) 3.08
    9 J. Lester (SHA) 3.09
    10 B. Kim (PRV) 3.15

# TOP 10 ERA ERA
    1 R. Oswalt (CAN) 2.01
    2 R. Tucker (SFN) 2.05
    3 J. Francis (HSP) 2.08
    4 O. Perez (CAN) 2.39
    5 B. League (ALA) 2.64
    6 J. Beckett (GMC) 2.69
    7 J. Peavy (GAC) 2.74
    8 M. Mulder (ALA) 3.27
    9 C. Hamels (COL) 3.35
    10 N. Robertson (HSP) 3.50

Kameron Loe for CY YOUNG!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast