25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 56.00%
  • No

11 44.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Expansion Draft Information

Rookie ERA
    Since we're working on a three team expansion draft with only 29 teams now, I'll have to tweak the way the draft will work. The model I presented was based on a two team expansion out of thirty teams.
    I'll have a new model this afternoon. I've got an errand to run right now.
    (former) GM of the Kansas City Monarchs of the (now defunct) SBSL

Rookie ERA
    With 3 teams taking players from 29 teams now, how about this? I've added some thoughts in parenthesis.

The same basic rules apply: No team can lose more than one player in any round.
    Round 1 - 29 players taken by the 3 teams. Teams submit a 25 man protected roster.
    Between rounds 1 and 2 - Teams can protect three more players
    Round 2 - 29 players taken by the 3 teams.
    Between rounds 2 and 3 - Teams can protect three more players
    Round 3 - 29 players taken by the 3 teams.

In this format, all 29 established teams lose 3 players and ultimately protect 31. You could conceivably lose your 26th, 30th and 34th best players. (Personally, I don't think there should be any compensation.)
    The expansion teams end up with 29 players apiece - enough for a 25 man roster and 4 players in the minors. However, since they will probably have a monetary advantage due to cap space in the FA market, they should be able to be quite active to help fill out their rosters (perhaps even letting these three teams submit up to four offers during a period rather than three to make up for the diminished roster? - just a thought)
    Again, pre-draft deals should be allowed. For instance - An established team could make a deal with a team to pick one of their players, but trade him back for other compensation. An established team could also make a pick with the intention of trading him to a third team for other compensation. An expansion team could take a particular player with a large contract, and the established team could then compensate the expansion team via trading another commodity to them with the addedum "past considerations". (I think we could trust everyone not to "collude" in these cases, couldn't we? I don't think these pre-draft deals have to be announced on the board, but the trades back would have to pass the trade council.)

What do you think?

AA ERA
    Sounds like a solid draft prospect. I don't think we should receive compensation for anything and I'm sure that no one in this league will collude. Almost everyone in here knows who everyone is by now, except for the few newer ones, and I'm sure we can trust everyone. Even Rock.
    SBSL- Brooklyn Cyclones
    I am a proud member of the Anti-Rocksports Alliance.

Me trustworthy? That's funny.

Sounds like a good idea brak.

MLB ERA
    I like Brak's idea, and I don't see a need for compensation either.

MLB ERA
    BTW...all 3 expansion teams have already been filled. The league is full with 32 GMs.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brak60
    An established team could make a deal with a team to pick one of their players, but trade him back for other compensation.
    Very odd for this to happen. If I were the established team, why would I arrange a deal for the expansion team to pick a player that I want back anyway?

An established team could also make a pick with the intention of trading him to a third team for other compensation.
    So an established team can make picks in an expansion draft?

Rookie ERA
    Realmofotalk,

Re: the first scenario
    The established team is essentially protecting that player by having the expansion team select him. This way, the player is not taken by the other two teams (which will probably not have a deal with the established team and would keep whomever they take from the organization) This also prevents the other two teams from taking other players from the established organization in that portion of the draft, since a team can only lose one player per round.
    Is it likely to happen, not really. But I used it as an example because it was a possibility.

Re: The second scenario
    If you see a player that isn't protected in another team's organization, you could make a deal with one of the expansion teams to take that player and then trade him to you. Though, with the rules of one player lost per organization per round, you would probably have to pay a good price to get him as the expansion team would have to select him early in order to make sure the other two teams do not draft someone from that organization. Because I don't want to speak for the three expansion GMs, I can't know what an expansion team would want in that case or if they would do it. Again, a possible trade scenario. This was the case in the aforementioned Bobby Abreu/Kevin Stocker trade from '97. Houston left Abreu unprotected, the Phils wanted him, so they made arrangements to trade their starting SS at the time, Stocker, to Tampa Bay so they could acquire him. Tampa took Abreu with the 6th pick and then traded him to Philly after the draft was completed.

Typing it up makes it sound more complicated than it is.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brak60
    With 3 teams taking players from 29 teams now, how about this? I've added some thoughts in parenthesis.

The same basic rules apply: No team can lose more than one player in any round.
    Round 1 - 29 players taken by the 3 teams. Teams submit a 25 man protected roster.
    Between rounds 1 and 2 - Teams can protect three more players
    Round 2 - 29 players taken by the 3 teams.
    Between rounds 2 and 3 - Teams can protect three more players
    Round 3 - 29 players taken by the 3 teams.

In this format, all 29 established teams lose 3 players and ultimately protect 31. You could conceivably lose your 26th, 30th and 34th best players. (Personally, I don't think there should be any compensation.)
    The expansion teams end up with 29 players apiece - enough for a 25 man roster and 4 players in the minors. However, since they will probably have a monetary advantage due to cap space in the FA market, they should be able to be quite active to help fill out their rosters (perhaps even letting these three teams submit up to four offers during a period rather than three to make up for the diminished roster? - just a thought)

We wil lbe using Brak's idea for the expansion draft. The expansion draft will occur at 8:00pmEST this Sunday, or earlier if all 3 expansion GMs are online, and would like to begin. The draft will take place in the forum, and not a chat room. I would like to complete the entire draft at once. So this is what we need to do to prepare. There will be 3 rounds to the draft. Each team may protect 3 players after each round. You don't need to be online at the time of the draft, but if you are, you can let us know at that time which additional players you would like to protect. If you don't think you will be able to make it for the draft, then you can send me a list of up to 4 players for each round that you would like to take. I will then protect your players for you. IF you are not here for the draft or do not send me a list, then no additional players will be protected from your team.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights
    We wil lbe using Brak's idea for the expansion draft. The expansion draft will occur at 8:00pmEST this Sunday, or earlier if all 3 expansion GMs are online, and would like to begin. The draft will take place in the forum, and not a chat room. I would like to complete the entire draft at once. So this is what we need to do to prepare. There will be 3 rounds to the draft. Each team may protect 3 players after each round. You don't need to be online at the time of the draft, but if you are, you can let us know at that time which additional players you would like to protect. If you don't think you will be able to make it for the draft, then you can send me a list of up to 4 players for each round that you would like to take. I will then protect your players for you. IF you are not here for the draft or do not send me a list, then no additional players will be protected from your team.
    Participation points for not protecting extras?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamoo
    Participation points for not protecting extras?
    Nope...not for the extras.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345