Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official NHL 2006-07 Season Thread

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Maybe they should give them more than 3 freaking weeks before overhauling their staff. Patience is a virtue.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Clarke had 20 years to deliver the Cup to Philadelphia. Here is one guy's rant about Clarke's inability to land an elite goaltender.

http://www.mccanner.com/Rants/14RantFebruary12.htm

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I took this Malkin kid 80th overall in this goofy league that I'm in. 6 points in his first 4 games ever including a goal in each game. Jesus.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Aebischer is a god.

MLB ERA
    ****ing Montreal, I had a Sports Select going tonight and they end up in a shoot-out (shoot-out wins don't count, they're counted as ties), they lose anyway to the faggy leafs

Could have won $480 dollars if it wasn't for Montreal.
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Malkin got me Ilya Korvalchuk.

And I have Hossa to go with him.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    HOLY ****!!!!!

thats all I have to say, go watch the high-lights if you don't know what happened in Dallas Stars/Edmonton Oilers game tonight

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay_is_God
    ****ing Montreal, I had a Sports Select going tonight and they end up in a shoot-out (shoot-out wins don't count, they're counted as ties), they lose anyway to the faggy leafs

Could have won $480 dollars if it wasn't for Montreal.
    Yeah, you hated it so much, but it was even better when the Habs beat the Oilers. Remember how Edmonton lost? I sure do. Too bad we weren't watching the game together, I would've bugged you mercilessly.
    Working on a BoSox sig, give me time.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Too many people suck at shootouts.

Shootouts
    Boston Marco Sturm shootout saved
    Tampa Bay Vincent Lecavalier shootout saved
    Boston Patrice Bergeron shootout saved
    Tampa Bay Brad Richards shootout saved
    Boston Glen Murray shootout saved
    Tampa Bay Martin St. Louis shootout saved
    Boston Marc Savard shootout saved
    Tampa Bay Eric Perrin shootout saved
    Boston Brad Boyes shootout saved
    Tampa Bay Vaclav Prospal shootout saved
    Boston Petr Tenkrat shootout saved
    Tampa Bay Dmitry Afanasenkov shootout saved
    Boston Phil Kessel shootout goal
    Tampa Bay Ruslan Fedotenko shootout saved

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Smyth, Guerin, Bertuzzi all change teams on deadline day

By IRA PODELL, AP Sports Writer
    February 27, 2007

The New York Islanders kept their leading scorer and stole the one that makes the Edmonton Oilers go.

Just minutes before the NHL trading deadline expired Tuesday afternoon, the Islanders plucked Ryan Smyth away from the Oilers after deciding to hold onto Jason Blake.

The big deal trumped those made earlier in the day that sent Bill Guerin from the St. Louis Blues to the San Jose Sharks, Todd Bertuzzi from Florida to Detroit, and longtime Kings captain Mattias Norstrom from Los Angeles to Dallas.

Staying true to form, the final dealing day of the season was super busy. Coming on the heels of the most active deadline day in 2006 when 25 trades were completed, at least 20 went down in the final hours Tuesday.

Islanders general manager Garth Snow is still a novice in his job after serving as the team's backup goalie just last season, but he pulled off a trade that could propel New York into the postseason. He mulled offers for Blake, an impending unrestricted free agent this summer, and then pounced when Smyth became available when contract talks with the Oilers broke down.

"Wow. That's shocking," said Guerin, Smyth's teammate with the Oilers for four seasons. "He's a guy that I thought would be there forever, and he probably thought that, too. He gave everything he had to the organization, but sometimes it just doesn't work out."

The price was steep for the Islanders, especially if the 31-year-old left winger, signs elsewhere after the season. Smyth leaves Edmonton after 11-plus seasons in which he grew into the heart and soul of the Oilers and less than a year after he helped the club to a surprising run to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.

New York sent first-round picks Robert Nilsson (2003) and Ryan O'Marra (2005), along with the Islanders' first-round choice in this year's draft to Edmonton for Smyth, who has 31 goals and 53 points in 53 games this season.

While that one came as a surprise, Guerin's departure didn't. The rugged forward's days in St. Louis were clearly short because of his upcoming unrestricted free agent status, and it became more clear that he wouldn't be staying once the Blues dealt Keith Tkachuk to Atlanta a few days before the deadline.

"I'm thrilled," Guerin said. "This is one of those teams that was on my radar. I am very happy to be going there. You have certain expectations and places that you want to go, so it was easy (to agree to the trade). When it was presented to me, it was a no-brainer."

Two days earlier, the Sharks acquired veteran defenseman Craig Rivet from the Montreal Canadiens for defenseman Josh Gorges and their own first-round pick.

The Sharks, who entered the day tied for fifth in the Western Conference after a recent slump, sent left wing Ville Nieminen, college forward Jay Barriball and New Jersey's first-round pick, which they acquired last year, to the rebuilding Blues.

"Billy has been a true professional on and off the ice this season and we felt it was in the best interest or him and the Blues to trade him to a playoff contender," Blues president John Davidson said.

Bertuzzi, best known for his blindside hit to the head of former Colorado player Steve Moore that drew the rugged forward a 17-month suspension, was traded by the Panthers after playing only seven games with them in an injury-plagued season.

The Panthers acquired forward Shawn Matthias and up to two conditional draft picks in the deal. If Bertuzzi signs with Detroit after this season, the Red Wings will part with one pick this year and another next year.

Bertuzzi, acquired by Florida from Vancouver for top goalie Roberto Luongo on draft day last year, hasn't played since he had lower back surgery in November.

"Bertuzzi is a huge, talented man that adds the dimensions of size and skill that we need on one of our top two lines," Detroit coach Mike Babcock told The Associated Press.

The Buffalo Sabres took a big step toward replenishing their injury-ravaged lineup by making four deadline-day deals. The biggest brought forward Dainius Zubrus to town from Washington.

The Sabres also dealt backup goalie Martin Biron to the Philadelphia Flyers for a second-round pick and then acquired Columbus Blue Jackets' backup goalie Ty Conklin for a fifth-round pick in this year's draft.

Along with Zubrus, a consistent offensive forward, Buffalo also landed prospect defenseman Timo Helbling. The Sabres dealt rookie forward Jiri Novotny, who's ready to return from a high ankle sprain, and a first-round pick to the Capitals.

The Sabres then traded a fourth-round draft pick to Nashville for minor league defenseman Mikko Lehtonen.

Norstrom, the Kings captain since 2002, was sent with right wing Konstantin Pushkarev and two draft picks to the Dallas Stars for defenseman Jaroslav Modry and three draft choices.

Norstrom is the team's career leader in games played among defensemen with 780. He has two goals, seven assists and 40 penalty minutes in 62 games this season.

"Mattias solidifies our defensive group and also adds character and veteran leadership to our locker room," Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said. "We look for him to make an immediate impact on this hockey club as we push towards the playoffs."

The New York Rangers, on the outside of the Eastern playoff race, made two deals Tuesday. They sent Aaron Ward to the Boston Bruins for fellow defenseman Paul Mara, and traded newly acquired forward Pascal Dupuis to the Atlanta Thrashers for a third-round draft pick and prospect Alex Bourret.

Ward, a member of the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes last season, was in the first year of a two-year deal with New York that pays him $2.75 million in each season.

The Pittsburgh Penguins took steps to win now, adding veteran leadership and muscle to their young forward lineup.

Joining blossoming stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, are 40-year-old Gary Roberts and noted fighter Georges Laraque.

To land Roberts, who waived a no-trade clause, Pittsburgh sent defenseman Noah Welch to Florida. Forward prospect Daniel Carcillo and a 2008 third-round pick were shipped to Phoenix for Laraque. The Penguins then dealt Dominic Moore to Minnesota for a third-round pick and acquired defenseman Joel Kwiatkowski from Florida for a fourth-round choice.

"We want to win," coach Michel Therrien said. "We want to be part of the playoffs. That was our plan, and right now we've put ourselves in a position to be there."
    Also, the Ducks made an awful move by trading their 23 year old D-man Shane O'Brien to the Lightning for a first round pick in this year's weak as usual draft.

MLB ERA
    ****!!!!!

Yes I'm still pissed off at Kevin Lowe for getting shit for Ryan Smyth.

I been pissed all day and I can't see stopping until Lowe is either fired or found dead.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    But given the Islanders' history of infamous trades, maybe this trade is somehow bound to tip the scale in favor of the Oilers.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    But given the Islanders' history of infamous trades, maybe this trade is somehow bound to tip the scale in favor of the Oilers.
    Oilers and Islanders have a long history of trade since Kevin Lowe took over the GM job from Glen Sather, but those deals were with the infamous Mike Milbury.

I'll post some of the trades I remember shortly.

MLB ERA
    Roman Hamrlik for Eric Brewer, Josh Green, and a 2nd round pick (Brad Winchester, still playing for the Oilers but is 4th line player and sits in the press box most nights)

Janne Niinimaa and a 2nd round selection (NY Islanders selected Evgeni Tunik) for Brad Isbister and Raffi Torres.

Those two are the big ones they have done in the past,

Mike York for Mike Peca, was another.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Those trades are all a wash now.

On another note, Mike Sillinger wasn't traded during this season.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast