Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrested Development

MLB ERA

Arrested Development

People are idiots.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...L&type=tvradio

The funniest show on television is all but dead. There's no official announcement yet, but all the signs are there, and if this short-lived thing of beauty even manages to deliver half of a season, consider that a sanctioned-by-Rome miracle. The ratings are abysmal. Fewer than 4 million viewers, which puts it in cable territory. Despite what may have been one of its funniest episodes ever in the first week, nobody watched. This past Monday, even fewer people watched. So much for Emmy power. So much for Charlize Theron as a cameo draw.

Blame? Easy. Fox moved the series from Sunday to Monday, which was: (a) stupid, (b) a planned assassination or (c) all of the above. The network barely promoted the night switch -- a killer for viewers, especially those trying to sample 30 new series -- and sure enough, "Arrested Development" drew fewer viewers than last season. Worse, once on Monday, the series got almost no push. Now, there's one more episode before Major League Baseball pre-empts the show -- and Fox will air "Prison Break" repeats in that slot for a bit after that and before, ahem, bringing back "Arrested Development."

Yeah, that'll happen. Enjoy next Monday's episode. Chances are, everything after that will be dubbed "the lost episodes" on the next DVD. Here's how things get worse for Fox: "Kitchen Confidential" is also dying on Mondays. That means Fox hasn't been able to launch a decent sitcom in some time, and, no, "The War at Home" on Sundays doesn't count. If you watch that, you deserve it.

But it's true that the audience always decides. Always. And if it doesn't want "Arrested Development" but gloms onto the asinine "War at Home," three things are in play here: (a) Nielsen families have lame taste, (b) we get the television we really deserve and (c) most damning, the theory of sophisticated urban viewers is out the window. San Francisco was the 27th-ranked market for "Arrested Development." New York, Los Angeles and Chicago all tied for 21st. And Boston was 45th. So much for savvy. Let's move to Portland, Ore., -- it was the No. 1-ranked market for "Arrested Development."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Their motto
    Another one bites the dust.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

AA ERA
    I'm hoping some cable channel picks it up if Fox cuts it because it would be amazing on cable.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That or CBS/ABC/NBC buys rights to it.
    Which is possible, cause I think Buffy the Vampire Slayer went through a network change or something.
    Ted

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    A lot will depend on the season 2 DVD sales. Fox would really like to get this syndicated and if they can make some profit off of it while having it be one of their top critically acclaimed shows, they'll give it a chance. I can't say that I am not upset. After all the questions of whether or not it would be picked up, I was hoping that would be the end of that for awhile.

Even though network switches are rare to say the least, if it was cancelled, I would love to see NBC pick it up. Put a Tuesday night lineup of Scrubs, AD, My Name is Earl and The Office and I would be glued to the TV every Tuesday. Unrealistic scheduling but I would dig it. It seems like the direction NBC is wanting to take with it's comiedies (AKA not the cookie cutter comedies we have seen for years and at least a few like myself are tired of.)

Watch AD everyone, come on.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It definitely is an acquired taste (the comedy that is) and for new viewers it is a bit hard to get into since the plot is one that is long running and a lot of the jokes within the show someone would only get if they have watched for awhile. I personally thought it was brillant how ABC had a one hour recap of the first season of Lost before they showed the second season, FOX would of been wise to do the same with AD.

Maybe FOX should just delay it til American Idol starts and have it to follow. If that doesnt help the ratings, I don't know what would.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I find that one important aspect for comedies to be successful is that every show has to have an independant storyline, like Seinfeld, the Simpsons or even Family Guy.

If there's a plot from show to show, then it's tougher for viewers to catch on.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I agree for the most part. AD though has done a pretty good job in the past since they use Ron Howard as the narrator/straight man of the show and he recaps all the essentials to the plot. But to get all the jokes, it does help to be a longtime viewer.

Anyway, I still don't understand changing nights for the show. Because frankly a lot of people who watch The Simpsons and plan to watch Family Guy will likely watch whatever is on in between (Case in point, the terrible War At Home). FOX knows that AD has an extremely loyal yet small following and it was key to get the casual viewers tuning in.... which they thought was possible with moving it to Monday night at 8 PM. Ugh. The people watching FOX on Sunday night was the demographic they could capture much easier with correct marketing.

MLB ERA
    I can already taste those meaty man parts in my mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I agree for the most part. AD though has done a pretty good job in the past since they use Ron Howard as the narrator/straight man of the show and he recaps all the essentials to the plot.
    When I've tried watching the show, that really annoys me (Ron Howard narrating). It's like saying "you're a moron and can't get this, so we'll tell you what you need to know"...plus it just really bugs me. The show itself...meh

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I never found it too appealing to me either. I don't think I've really enjoyed a comedy on TV for years.

One that wasn't animated, at least.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If you're a fan of show, seriously buy the season 2 DVD if you can. Strong sales could very well help keep it on the air. Anyway, here's a press release on the upcoming episodes.

"ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT" RETURNS WITH A FULL HOUR MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7, ON FOX
    Released by FOX

"ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT" RETURNS WITH A FULL HOUR MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7, ON FOX

Guest Stars Include Charlize Theron, Scott Baio, Dave Thomas, Frankie Muniz and Bob Einstein (Super Dave Osbourne)

The Emmy Award-winning comedy ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT returns to the schedule with a full hour Monday, Nov. 7 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

[KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL will be pre-empted for this night only. It will return to the schedule on Monday, Nov. 14.]

In the "Notapusy" episode (8:00-8:30 PM), Rita (guest star Charlize Theron) calls Michael (Jason Bateman) a word that he thinks means "weak or cowardly" when – in the British sense – it actually means "sweet or gentle." In an effort to prove to Rita he's not one of these, Michael tries to convince George-Michael (Michael Cera) to join him in some manly activities, but George-Michael is too busy prepping girlfriend Ann (Mae Whitman) for an "Inner-beauty Pageant" at the Church and State Fair. So Michael and his recently-discovered nephew Steve Holt (Justin Grant Wade) enter a triathlon, only to discover Gob (Will Arnett) is the one who stumbles at the finish line. Meanwhile, George Sr. (Jeffrey Tambor) tries to get some good P.R. by volunteering to speak at a "Scared Straight" meeting, but ends up giving advice about his prison days to the wrong group. Scott Baio returns as Bluth family attorney Bob Loblaw and Dave Thomas as Trevor.

In the "Mr. F" episode (8:30-9:00 PM), Michael must deal with a huge mole problem in order to salvage a major real estate deal with Japanese investors. In an effort to help Michael, Gob and Buster (Tony Hale) team up with George Sr.'s surrogate, Larry (guest star Bob Einstein), to devise a plan and save the deal, but their plan falls apart in a big way. Meanwhile, Tobias (David Cross) mistakes a CIA agent for a CAA agent and inadvertently betrays the family, and Michael makes Rita a proposal she can't refuse. Frankie Muniz makes a cameo as himself.

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT comes from Imagine Television and 20th Century Fox Television. Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, David Nevins and Mitchell Hurwitz are executive producers.

The above press release was issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.
    Link

Rookie ERA
    Man that show was funny as hell. the Bald guy who is married to the Blonde sister on the show, is so funny. I love when he painted himself blue to join Blue man group.

"I just got Blue"
    "there has to be a better way of saying that"

Funny stuff, I hope it gets picked up.

AA ERA
    Those episodes sound fantastic! I bought the Season 2 DVDs and love them! Watching season 1 again right now. I love it.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear you bought the season 2 DVD's as well. With it's strong sales the hope is that FOX will keep AD on long enough this year for a short season so they can sell a season 3 DVD set. And if we're lucky, that pattern can continue for a few years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast