Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Rookie ERA

Re: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

The ALS challenge started out small, a guy just challenging his friends to do it OR donate, but as soon as it started gaining momentum it became the do the challenge AND donate. That's why the donations jumped from thousands to millions. Anyone at this juncture that is still doing the challenge without a donation is clueless.

I personally don't get the I'll only do it IF I can figure out a way to one up, that's not the reason to do it either, though some have been creative
    I hope they didn't do it ONLY because they thought a way to be "unique".

Yes, there will always be detractors, but those people can find gloom in a blade of grass, fuck 'em. Something as silly as this....look how many have been on
    board.....even if the overall impact is small, so what, it's better than it was just a few months ago.

Useless, like anything else, is in one's own perspective. I think a great many people feel like the little they do is useless, not enough,
    doesn't matter. No one ever realizes the impact they have on just their own little spot, so what if you're not making a sweeping societal change, running a country, discovering the cure for cancer (which would be wonderful if I had the smarts for something like that), it doesn't mean what you do is useless or worthless.

Who knows why some things catch fire and some things don't, the "Kony 2012" campaign has been mentioned, well, in my opinion that might be chalked up to a majority of people feeling that was mainly a localized travesty or the fact that there are so many other horrible things going on it got lost in the shuffle. I mean there are many of these "cult" type of crazies in different parts of the world and have been throughout the decades, centuries in fact. Not that it should be minimized, but like I say who knows what will get more vast attention. There are so many things going on right now, how do you determine which one is worthy of the most exposure? Russia/Ukraine, ISIS/Iraq/Syria/USA, EBola outbreak, Iceland Volcano, Gangland in Honduras, it can depend on how close you are to the particular crisis or how directly it affects your own personal world as to which is the one more urgent.

I like the ALS thing (except for the idiots that are hurting themselves or like the stupid grandfather that dumped on the infant) and cat/dog/kids doing cute things simply because it is something silly and fun to distract a bit from all the horrific stuff. If we didn't have some of these simple comic reliefs we'd be inundated with doom to the point we would all be hunkered down in a basement doomsday prepping.

Rookie ERA

No one ever realizes the impact they have on just their own little spot, so what if you're not making a sweeping societal change, running a country, discovering the cure for cancer (which would be wonderful if I had the smarts for something like that), it doesn't mean what you do is useless or worthless.
    Good point, kudos. I sometimes forget that, and I think it's an important thing to remember. You can make a difference by doing something as simple as holding a door open for someone, or letting in someone who's trying to get into a long line of traffic.

KONY. I forgot all about that.

Okay. No more posting for tonight. I got some serious doomsday prep to do for TEOTWAWKI (aka WTSHTF).

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I was happy to see people have fun with it, while simultaneously donating (and supporting) a good cause. I did hate having to get iced twice. My James Harden beard shirt didn't provide any protection. Fear the beard my ass.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345