• Sony Playstation 3

3 30.00%
  • Nintendo Wii

7 70.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better??

MLB ERA

Which console is better??

Which is better, Nintendo's Wii or Sony PS3? I'll do a quick run-through of the two.

Sony Playstation 3:

The plus: The hardware, no question. A 3.2 GHz processor packs a huge punch. A 550 mHz NVIDIA "RSX" (Reality synthesizer) graphics card delivers unparalleled graphics and realism to games. Also, free internet gameplay is a huge plus. Finally, Sony invested a lot of money to put a Blue-Ray DVD player in the PS3. At first, there were a ton of problems with this, but it works now, and really makes the PS3 stand out (and jacks up the price).

The minus: Well, for starters, Sony completely rushed the release of this console, just like they did with PS2. And the problems are pretty much the same. The PS2 had a very common disc-read error, which required the owner to send in their console to be fixed time and again. This time, the PS3 repetedly freezes in-game, literally melts game CD's, or completely fries (talk to Dry). Also, the availablity of the console when it was first released was just awful. Finally, THE PRICE. Started at $850, now down to around $600.

The game franchises: MLB games, SOCOM, Grand Theft Auto (not owned by Sony, but not available on the Wii), Heavenly Sword, Rachet and Clank

Nintendo Wii:

The plus: There are a few smaller things that make the Wii stand out. First, you can literally surf the internet, plus you can send messages to other Wiis. Second, Nintendo showed their genius (again) by creating the Virtual Console, where users can pay like 5 or 10 bucks to download old Nintendo games all the way from NES to N64. Also, the game selection for the Wii is much superior to that of the PS3. The Wii also sports 4 GameCube controller ports for playing games such as Super Smash Brothers. Another great plus, the motion sensors in the controllers provide a unique interactive gaming experience. Finally, it won't ruin your bank account at around $250-$300.

The minus: First, the online gaming interface is still under construction for many games, and the wireless signal is not compatible with many firewalls (like here at Syracuse), making it either difficult or impossible to connect to the internet. Second, the graphics are much inferior to PS3's. The Wii sports a 729 MHz processor made by PowerPC, and a 243 MHz graphics card made by ATI technologies. Those are all clearly inferior to PS3's power packing cards. Also, the Wii does not have a DVD player, which is a huge drawback.

The franchises: All Mario games, Legend of Zelda, WarioWare, Super Smash Brothers, Backyard Baseball, Fire Emblem

My decision:
    WII

I personally will take user-friendly and backwards compatible over graphics anyday, but that's a personal choice. It's really a decision of whether you like realistic graphics or a user friendly console with more cartoon-like games. I will be honest, up to this point, I have been a huge Sony supporter. I love my PS2. I still use it all the time. I just have to say, I love the Wii.

Now you decide!!

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Re: Which is better??

wii

and dosn't the wii also bring out MLB games? I have one called "the bigs" and how did u miss out zelda in the wii franchise.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrewrock View Post
    how did u miss out zelda in the wii franchise.
    o my god you are right. and i have that game too......so good.

fixed it

i love it too!

MLB ERA

and dosn't the wii also bring out MLB games?
    PS3 has the official MLB games, like MLB '08

oh, ok, but didnt wii just brin out an mlb game recently?

Closed
    AAA ERA

oh, ok, but didnt wii just brin out an mlb game recently?
    yes, i think they did. I love Wii for all of the neat new technology it brings, but PS3 is also nice.

i own a wii and they r awsomme!

MLB ERA

Re: Which console is better??

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    The minus: Well, for starters, Sony completely rushed the release of this console, just like they did with PS2. And the problems are pretty much the same. The PS2 had a very common disc-read error, which required the owner to send in their console to be fixed time and again. This time, the PS3 repetedly freezes in-game, literally melts game CD's, or completely fries (talk to Dry). Also, the availablity of the console when it was first released was just awful. Finally, THE PRICE. Started at $850, now down to around $600.
    Rushed? First off, less than 3% of PS3 owners have experienced problems, and usually they have to do with discreet formatting errors that make upgrades cause problems.

Mine only sort of fried, the discs aren't read at all...

The game franchises: MLB games, SOCOM, Grand Theft Auto (not owned by Sony, but not available on the Wii), Heavenly Sword, Rachet and Clank [/SIZE] [SIZE=4]

Don't forget all sorts of shooting games, Final Fantasy, hell anything not created by Nintendo

[/B]
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]The plus: There are a few smaller things that make the Wii stand out. First, you can literally surf the internet, plus you can send messages to other Wiis.
    PS3 has that too.

Second, Nintendo showed their genius (again) by creating the Virtual Console, where users can pay like 5 or 10 bucks to download old Nintendo games all the way from NES to N64.
    PS3 has this with things like Crash Bandicoot and older PS games
    Oh, and the 80GB is backwards compatible with all of these games anyway, so if you have them you can play them.

Also, the game selection for the Wii is much superior to that of the PS3.
    HAHAHA no sports, no FPS, an equal # of quality RPGs...this is hysterical.

The Wii also sports 4 GameCube controller ports for playing games such as Super Smash Brothers. Another great plus, the motion sensors in the controllers provide a unique interactive gaming experience. Finally, it won't ruin your bank account at around $250-$300.
    3 small positives.

The minus: First, the online gaming interface is still under construction for many games, and the wireless signal is not compatible with many firewalls (like here at Syracuse), making it either difficult or impossible to connect to the internet. Second, the graphics are much inferior to PS3's. The Wii sports a 729 MHz processor made by PowerPC, and a 243 MHz graphics card made by ATI technologies. Those are all clearly inferior to PS3's power packing cards.

The franchises: All Mario games, Legend of Zelda, WarioWare, Super Smash Brothers, Backyard Baseball, Fire Emblem[B]

PS3 things not mentioned: Blu-Ray player (alone costs 500-700, amazing, plus with the PS3 bought at Christmas, you get 5 free ones (roughly $300))

Connecting to Media Servers (can download music and place it in certain games)

Software Updates (there might not even need to be another release of a Console if they keep up such frequent updates)

Plays CDs and DVDs (not sure if the Wii does)

You don't have to learn ANOTHER brand new controller to play

In warranty it's free to fix your PS3, if not, it's proven very simple to do.

You don't look like a pussy playing it.

I think it's apparent that with Blu-Ray, the PS3 easily wins this

MLB ERA

i own a wii and they r awsomme!
    With testimonials like that, the choice is clear.

I personally don't see any incentive to own a ps3, as I prefer xbox games. The wii on the other hand I'm dying to get. It has most of the great games IMO, and is a much more unique experience than either PS3 or Xbox, systems that are just advancements on the way we have always played.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    I personally don't see any incentive to own a ps3, as I prefer xbox games. The wii on the other hand I'm dying to get. It has most of the great games IMO, and is a much more unique experience than either PS3 or Xbox, systems that are just advancements on the way we have always played.
    PS3 and XBox are interchangeable, except XBox has Halo, PS3 has Blu-Ray, and PS3 doesn't have 44% of users reporting issues with their systems.

AAA ERA

Re: Which console is better??

PS3 has the official MLB games, like MLB '08
    What are you talking about? The Bigs and MLB 2k8 is on Wii. I know Wii didn't have 2k7, but oh well. It's all caught up with the major baseball games. It will also have NCAA 2009 this year. So all major sports titles will have a Wii version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    Don't forget all sorts of shooting games, Final Fantasy, hell anything not created by Nintendo
    Final Fantasy games will be on the Wii. There's already shooting games on it, in fact Wii's controls are perfect for FPS. Much better then PS3's. Read some reviews for CoD3 on Wii.
    HAHAHA no sports, no FPS, an equal # of quality RPGs...this is hysterical.
    I can make up things too. No sports, no FPS on PS3!!! wow... both systems have them.
    PS3 things not mentioned: Blu-Ray player (alone costs 500-700, amazing, plus with the PS3 bought at Christmas, you get 5 free ones (roughly $300))
    Having a Blu-Ray player is a nice bonus, but should never be used in an argument for which is a better GAMING system. Watching the Matrix in highdef does not make my game library better.
    Software Updates (there might not even need to be another release of a Console if they keep up such frequent updates)
    Wii has them as well
    Plays CDs and DVDs (not sure if the Wii does)
    Doesn't play them, but is capable. If you have an SD card you can put music/movies on them and plug it into the Wii. So you can have custom soundtracks and what not.
    You don't have to learn ANOTHER brand new controller to play
    I can't believe this was even said. This is the craziest thing I've ever heard. That's like saying "No need to improve on VHS. Screw DVD's this VCR will last forever!" in fact do you know why Six axis exist? And why it had no rumble? Because the original PS3 controller was much different and had rumble, but no six axis.

Sony added six axis last second when it saw all the hype Wii got at E3. It also went back to the old design because people didn't like the new design. The Wii controller is the FUTURE of controllers. Graphics kept getting better, but the controller has never been improved. Now with movement, it's like controls are going from 2D to 3D. This isn't something that's going away.
    You don't look like a pussy playing it.
    A pussy to who? I have yet to meet ANYONE who's played Wii and walked away saying it sucked. That's why the Wii keeps selling like hot cakes. Everyone loves this thing. Everyone from your grandma to the most hardcore gamer can play it. I guarantee you if you have a girlfriend. She'll think it's a lot cooler playing Wii Tennis or Bowling over MGS4.
    I think it's apparent that with Blu-Ray, the PS3 easily wins this
    Again, why are we talking about Blu-Ray in terms of gaming?
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

AAA ERA

For the record, I own a Xbox360 and a Wii. I also plan to get a PS3 this June. In terms of which is better, it all depends what you're looking for. Graphically the PS3 is more powerful then the Wii. No one is doubting this. The Wii has shown no where near what it's capable of though. Star Wars: Rouge Squadron was a LAUNCH title for GameCube back in 2001. It looks better then most Wii games.

Problem is that Wii gets a lot of Gamecube and PS2 ports. Twilight Princess, while it looked awesome. Was not buffed up from the GameCube build at all. They spent the extra time on content. Heck Resident Evil 4 on GameCube looks better then most Wii titles. I'd really like to see a developer push the Wii to it's graphical limits. Which will happen once Factor 5 releases a Wii game (people that made Rouge Squadron on Cube). As they are confirmed too.

Also the Wii is EASILY the better console to own if you play with your friends. I mean since the N64 days whether it was Super Smash Bros. for N64, or Brawl for Wii. All the Mario Kart's, Golden Eye, and all that crap that's been on Nintendo console over the years. These are the games you'll sit down with your friends and play for hours with. PS3 is more geared toward the hard core gamer.

But because third party developers definetly don't put the time into Wii games like they should. PS3 not at first, but is now starting to get more quality games. I mean GTAIV and MGS4 make the PS3 a must own system. Where as when it launched it had about one good game. Plus other things like GT5 are coming out on it. There's a lot of pluses, even though the controller is crap.

It all just depends on what you like. If you game alone, I'd recommend a PS3. More epic games so to speak. But if you like to game with friends, it's a diservice to everyone if you don't have a Wii.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast