Thread: Clement the Cardinal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Clement the Cardinal

Cardinals signed RHP Matt Clement, who had been with the Red Sox, to a one-year contract with a club option for 2009.
    Clement figures to join Adam Wainwright, Braden Looper, Mark Mulder and Joel Pineiro in the Cardinals' rotation. If all five are healthy, that'd leave Anthony Reyes and Todd Wellemeyer on the outside looking in. Chris Carpenter will miss at least the first half of the year following Tommy John surgery.
    Not a bad deal for the Cards since they needed any kind of pitching they could get. Clement will be a lot better than Maroth and Reyes or at least I hope he will. Cards still need another pitcher since Looper and Mulder are also big question marks for next year. Cards won it all in 06 and are free falling badly.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Clement the Cardinal

Matt Clement is guaranteed $1.5 million under the terms of his deal with the Cardinals.

Clement will receive $1.25 million in 2008 and the chance to earn $5.25 million more in bonuses based on innings pitched. The Cardinals have an $8.75 million option for 2009 with a $250,000 buyout. The option would increase to $9 million and the buyout $500,000 if Clement reaches 160 innings this season; $9.5 million and $1 million for 180 innings; $10 million and $1.5 million for 200 innings and $11 million and $2 million if Clement finishes in the top five in 2008 Cy Young Award balloting.
    First glance and this looked like a good deal but this contract is ****ed up. Why would anyone structure a contract like this?

MLB ERA

Incentive laden contracts are interesting to say the least. If Clement can regain the form that made him one of the more sought-after pitchers in the past, he could be a good guy to go with Carpenter. If not, he's a cheap option to get the team through the season until some of their kids are ready to go -- Jamie Garcia could be ready as soon as mid-season.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

If healthy, I like this signing for the Cardinals. Especially with a return of Carpenter to the rotation will be a boost as well...

MLB ERA

I'll be honest, I like this rotation. Wainwright is a very decent young starter, and despite Braden Looper's struggles at times, I think he shows serious potential at times. Mark Mulder is older, but he's still Mark Mulder, as great of a veteran presence as you can get for these young guys. Joel Pinero is also a good starter, and has had a good amount of experience as well, and has some room in front of him as far as age goes. And Clement is another guy who has a good amount of potential. There isn't anybody dominant on this staff, but on the outside chance they all come together this could be a good staff. Look for this rotation to be a sleeper in '08.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I'll be honest, this rotation isn't that good, and Mark Mulder is worth nothing.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Come on! Wainwright is pretty good, but he's no ace. Mulder has had 2 shoulder surgeries in 2 years, Braden Looper......is Braden Looper. Joel Pineiro is a mediocre 4 or 5 starter, when he has his A stuff.
    And I guess Clement and Anthony "0-10" Reyes will compete be the next two. Clement could be another mediocre starter, and Reyes..has to mature a lot. The Cardinals are not going to be very good this year...sorry

MLB ERA

ok, i said nothing about anthony reyes. if he gets in that rotation then it's gonna get shot. but i stick by my opinion.

and as for braden looper, i'm sure as a mets fan you know, he showed some promise as set-up man and closer. he was inconsistent, but i know as a proud (yes, proud) fantasy owner that he was decent
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

He never pitched in setup relief for the Mets, and as a closer, he was pretty mediocre. Last year, Looper posted (in 175 innings) something close to a 4.95 ERA, a WHIP of 1.35, and somehow, a 12-12 record. With the loss or Rolen and Edmonds, and the addition of only Troy Glaus (who may or may not stay healthy for 90 games), that offense may not be able to give him as much run support. I mean...the problem is that Wainwright is NOT an ace, Looper is NOT a 2 starter, and the other three starters are just mediocre.