Thread: One Giant Big Unit

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants One Giant Big Unit

Randy Johnson has agreed to a one-year deal with the San Francisco Giants, FOXSports.com has learned.

Johnson, 45, needs just five wins to 300. He bounced back last season from an injury plagued 2007 to throw 184 innings with a 3.91 ERA for the Diamondbacks.
    Good signing for the Giants. His chase for 300 wins will pay for this signing alone. The marketing around three Cy Young winners in one rotation will also do the Giants well from the financial side. The Giants needed another starter because they cannot rely on Lowry being healthy and Bumgarner and Alderson will not be rushed. Johnson had a good year last year coming off another back surgery. Johnson is a risk but its only for one year and he is not blocking anyone. Sanchez could become trade bait now but I doubt the Giants will part with him. Johnson and Zito at the back end will do the Giants some good.

MLB ERA

Re: One Giant Big Unit

Yeah man, I was excited to hear about the Johnson signing! Next year our rotation has the chance to be if the not the best, but one of the best rotations in the Majors.

MLB ERA

Edwin for Sanchez seems to be making the rounds right now.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

I would never trade sanchez for edwin, keep the sick rotation... go get a wigginton, and get a discount corner OF veteran...maybe take a run at adam dunn
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

The worst thing that can happen is the Giants can sell a few tickets for his starts. The best thing is that Johnson could win a few games for the Giants and help them become a bit more competitive.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I would never trade sanchez for edwin, keep the sick rotation... go get a wigginton, and get a discount corner OF veteran...maybe take a run at adam dunn
    I don't want Edwin or Wigginton. Both are butchers at third. I do hope the Giants find a third baseman but not those two. Adam Dunn is also a no. I know he will bring power but his defense is very suspect as well. If the Giants felt comfortable with him at first with Ishikawa coming in late in ballgames, I could deal with it. I just don't like the idea of a guy with that many K's batting cleanup and little average batting cleanup.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

$8 million for Johnson is a damn steep price. Johnson offered to play for the Backs for $5 million!! Did the Giants outbid themselves again?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Johnson is from Cali, originally so naturally he would lean to the Giants over Arizona. Add the fact that he still has spring training in Arizona. The thing that gets me is, that he can make 5 million more incentives.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

He felt at home vs. Arizona, but all the California teams had simiar offers along with the Cubs, it was just a choice of where he wanted to play from what I've heard
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    Johnson is from Cali, originally so naturally he would lean to the Giants over Arizona. Add the fact that he still has spring training in Arizona. The thing that gets me is, that he can make 5 million more incentives.
    Yeah he said that was one of the major reasons why he signed with SF (because his hometown of Livermore is about 1.5 hours away from San Fran). An interesting note is that the Giants now have 3 Cy Young winners in their rotation (Johnson, Zito, and Lincecum). The last time any team has had that was the 2002 Braves. Pretty impressive, even if the pitchers aren't really in CY form anymore.

MLB ERA

I think it's cool how they have 3 Cy Youngers. Johnson and Zito, like you said HCG, aren't in Cy Young form anymore, but it says something about the rotation, and we all know Lincecum is just getting started.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I think out of everyone, Sanchez and Cain will benefit the most, when having Johnson's presence.