Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Padres payroll discussion

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padres Padres payroll discussion

Don;t ever TRY and fix something I wrote. Trevor did absolutely nothing wrong and fail to see how anyone can think otherwise!! How dare Trevor ask to meet with ownership!! Who does that?? Oh, a lot of people especially when they are trying to cut the payroll in half. Padres have zero right to be pissed.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: If this is true, KT is a pussy (Padres cut ties with Trevor over the phone)

I didn't try......I did.........

They aren't trying to cut the payroll in half.........they succeeded in doing that by not bringing back trash and old has beens........there was no need to try, or slash, or cut, or (enter any word with a negative connotation here) as payroll was going down regardless.

And yes Trevors side handled this poorly also......his agents IMO are mostly to blame......and got us to this point
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    I didn't try......I did.........

They aren't trying to cut the payroll in half.........they succeeded in doing that by not bringing back trash and old has beens........there was no need to try, or slash, or cut, or (enter any word with a negative connotation here) as payroll was going down regardless.

And yes Trevors side handled this poorly also......his agents IMO are mostly to blame......and got us to this point
    No, you tried and failed because no one is buying it.

Yes, in all reports the Padres are trying to cut the payroll in half, down to $40 million. They have not succeeded in doing that by not bringing back trash. They are trying to do that by trading Peavy, Greene and Giles. Plain and simple.

How has Trevor's side misshandled anything? They haven't andhave every right to be pissed at the Padres for pulling their offer and not meeting with their future HOFer. Its classless!!

MLB ERA

They could have been 9 million closer to that goal if only...

nevermind
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah we have been over that over and over and over.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    They could have been 9 million closer to that goal if only...

nevermind
    6m ......giles was getting 3 regardless.......but it goes to your point......if slashing payroll is what they are doing then you simply don't bring him back at all....

And Bullshit........

They weren't trying to trade Peavy originally.......that mess came to them.......but as explained many times, if they are overwhelmed with a deal then they might trade him, if not, then they wont....and they didn't....a straight dump and he'd be a Brave by now......

Green isn't a straight salary dump, it's a dump of a player entirely that's shitty who turned down a long term offer before last year, then proceeded crap on 2008 ending it by breaking his hand after throwing a hissy fit......

They aren't looking to deal Giles, and have said that publicly. Giles is the only one who has mentioned anything, and that was answering a question when prompted and he said that if the team were out of it by the DEADLINE then he might be open to a trade......

Hoffy's agents didn't even bother to try and negotiate while Hoffy was out of town......instead they tried to use his status as leverage and look to get a meeting with the owner who has NOTHING to do with contracts.....Circumventing the chain of command is NOT the proper course of action, especially when you didn't even bother to acknowledge the offer that was on the table at the time.

Hoffy's agents just might have caused the majority of this mess......
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA

Yes they were trying to trade Peavy!! The whole point to trading Peavy is to restock their farm and cut payroll in the future. Situations like that don't come to a team's lap, they make attempts to shop the guy.

I'm glad reefer and I agree on this one, because no one else seems to see my point about Hoffman. I think it's a bigger deal than a lot of people seem to think.

And padrefanforever, he looked for a meeting with KT, not with the owner, which is exactly where he should have gone
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I don't think anyone denied the fact that they were trying to trade Peavy, or that they're still shopping him.

The disagreement centers around whether they're trying to field offers to see if they can make bank in a trade for him, with the salary dump being an added bonus, or if they're just trying to dump him so they don't have to pay his salary anymore.

I'd think if it was the latter he'd be in Atlanta by now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And more bullshit!!

Towers made Peavy available and no one else. They made the mess, not the other way around. The only reason Peavy was made available was the fact that the Padres finished in dead last in a very weak division and the are in a rebuilding mode. The Padres will take the best deal available and Peavy will be traded this offseason. Towers has already said as much.

They are trying to dump Greene's salary for all the reasons you just mentioned Pads. he is overpaid and cutting his salary helps them get down to the $40 million payroll they want.

They are looking to trade Giles and that has come out publicly. Padres are doing their best to talk him into waiving his no-trade clause. They are trying to find a suitable partner for Giles who has a no-trade clause. its the same situation Peavy is in. It was either buy him out for $3 million or pick him up and trade for pieces that can help now or in the next year or so.

You are dead ass wrong about Hoffman and I have already proved you wrong. Hoffman was trying to get a meeting with Moores AND Towers and he was denied a meeting and had his offer pulled off the table? Why I wonder? Oh yeah, it goes towards their lowering of payroll. Hoffman wasn't going over anyone's head!! Hoffman's agent tried to call as did Hoffman only to get no answer from Towers or anyone else. The Padres were absolutely in the wrong and showed very little class to their future HOFer who stuck with them through the lows and highs. Hoffman was mistreated the last time he was up for free agency and the second time was worse. This is all on the Padres.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    And more bullshit!!

Towers made Peavy available and no one else. They made the mess, not the other way around. The only reason Peavy was made available was the fact that the Padres finished in dead last in a very weak division and the are in a rebuilding mode. The Padres will take the best deal available and Peavy will be traded this offseason. Towers has already said as much.
    Obviously they wouldn't be talking about trading him if they weren't in rebuilding mode.

But rebuilding means getting great prospects that are fair for an exchange for Jake Peavy.

When you say it's motivated by payroll that implies that they don't really care as much about the quality of the trade as they do about getting rid of his payroll, THAT is where I'm calling bullshit, and THAT is where I'm saying he'd already be gone if it were the case because they already had an agreement by the Braves.

If they only cared about dumping his payroll (ie not about only trading him if they get what they view as a fair deal) why turn down an offer from a team willing to take the payroll?

MLB ERA

Dumping payroll often goes hand in hand with rebuilding
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Yes it does, but it's a question of which is the main goal.

Is the main goal rebuilding a good team/farm, with the payroll cut being a side factor?

Or is the main goal cutting payroll and getting whatever you might be able to by chance get in the process?

If it's the former Jake stays in San Diego if they can't find a fair deal for him, if it's the latter they trade Jake to anyone who'll take him....and he'd be in Atlanta now because they already found someone who would.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, no and no!! You are taking about what YOU want from what I am saying and implying what YOU want. Not what I am actually saying. The only reason Peavy was made available was.....c'mon...you know this one Leo......salary. That's right! Peavy costs the most and can bring in the most. The Padres don't have to take the best deal now just to dump salary nor should they. You guys act as if it is May of '09 already. Free agency has been open for exactly four days!!! Padres have all offseason to get what they need from a trade. They don't have to move him now or next month and they can even hold onto him till the trade deadline next season but its unlikely. Towers has made it very clear what his intentions are as far as the payroll goes. He is already said Peavy is going to be traded. The Padres will take the right package when it comes around. This is about payroll and is the ONLY reason Peavy was made available in the first place. Not one of you has come up with an explanation otherwise. The Padres are cutting the payroll in half and Peavy will be traded at some point this offseason. Once the top free agent starters are signed to other teams, more teams will be in on the Peavy talks. This will be a while but don;t kid yourself in thinking this is nothing about ridding themselves of Peavy's salary and rebuilding at the same time. This is where you get confused. You think they it can only be either salary dump or rebuilding. They can do both you know?

MLB ERA

Yes, LTR, I understand salary is part of the motivation to make him available, I'm simply saying that don't think it's motivation enough to dump him no matter what.

With Jake having a NTC they can't afford to fool around with offers if the directive is to get rid of him by any means possible (ie get rid of his salary) If that was the main goal they'd be stupid having turned down an offer from one of the few teams Jake's willing to waive the clause for and allow them to fill their holes by other means.

And if you think that I think it can only be either/or (salary dump or rebuild) you're obviously not reading my posts.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

But you are acting like other teams are just going to offer crap and the Padres will just hand Peavy over. This isn't a firesale!! They aren't going to just dump him for anything. The Braves package was a damn good one, just not good enough right now. If a team comes along and can do better than Braves one, Peavy will be gone if the pieces fit right. The Cubs are still in the hunt just not as much with free agency upon us. Salary is the main reason and so far the only reason Peavy is available in the first place. The Padres don't have to dump him for just anything just to dump him. They want to dump his salary while getting pieces they need and want at the same time. You keep saying if it was just a salary dump, Peavy would be a Brave now and that's not true at all!! The offseason is very, very young.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast