Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traitor Bochy chooses Gnats

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres Traitor Bochy chooses Gnats

More than likely he just got sick and tired of being sick and tired of less than effective front office management. Can ya blame him for leaving? Now he is really the enemy.

Manager Bruce Bochy and the San Francisco Giants agreed last night on a three-year contract, leaving the Padres without a manager for the first time since 1994.

Bochy, the Padres' all-time leader in wins, defeats and games managed, ironed out the final details to manage the Giants last night in San Francisco. He and Giants General Manager Brian Sabean talked for six hours Sunday in the Bay Area. The deal is worth close to $7 million.
    3 year & $7 mil
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    How is Bochy a traitor? The Padres didn't offer him a contract.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    it's a done deal.......he just ink'd
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    2 division titles in a row.

In the playoff hunt in late September every year since PetCo opened.

Is this the "less than effective" front office management you speak of?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

AA ERA

Padres

Bochy had a contract in place, what the Pads didn't do is stop him from leaving or match their offer. All and all I can't blame him for leaving, I can't see the Pads matching that offer under the best of circumstances and the odds are his contract would not be extended here if he did not win it all next year. This keeps him on the west coast and puts him on a team that has a ownership that is known for making moves to win, after all who has the third baseman we wanted at the All Star break? Wouldn't of you taken the offer too?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    How is Bochy a traitor? The Padres didn't offer him a contract.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndbr
    Bochy had a contract in place, what the Pads didn't do is stop him from leaving or match their offer. All and all I can't blame him for leaving, I can't see the Pads matching that offer under the best of circumstances and the odds are his contract would not be extended here if he did not win it all next year. This keeps him on the west coast and puts him on a team that has a ownership that is known for making moves to win, after all who has the third baseman we wanted at the All Star break? Wouldn't of you taken the offer too?
    So, the team's desire to win rests soley on whether or not they acquired a third baseman at the deadline?

It has nothing to do with the fact that they've put a playoff team on the field two years in a row?

Nothing to do with the fact that they've been in the playoff race every year since PetCo has opened?

Nothing to do with the fact that they had the best pitching staff in the majors this year?

It all rests on the fact that they didn't want to trade their set up man for Wilson Betimit?

On a side note: Russell Branyan wasn't too shabby playing the position that would've been manned by Betimit.

MLB ERA
    To comment on the subject at hand.

This dissappoints me. Not so much that I really wanted Bochy to stay. (I did, but not to the degree that him leaving would really upset me.) But mainly because he's going to a division rival.

I'm worried the Giants are going to be really good now, Bochy knows how to make a winning team when given the right tools, and Sabean will do that.

I hope we hire Girardi after seeing what he did in Miami.

MLB ERA
    Actually the Padres didn't offer him a contract extension, thats why he left.

Also Bud Black is the front runner, Jirardi said he is going to do commentary next year.

MLB ERA
    Bochy had a year left on his current contract, there was no need to offer him an extension at this point........had he stayed they would have likely offered him one before the ASB in '07.........SA just doesn't give out extensions.....if you need a refresher course.....see KT last year

AA ERA

Padres

HollywoodLeo

Well it is nice of you to see if from the company’s viewpoint, I guess Bochy’s view point isn’t worth considering is it. Why don’t you put yourself in his shoes and see how you would feel. 2 years ago, we should have never been near the play offs, we got there simply by being in the right division in the right year, 7 other team had better records than we did that did not go because they had real competition to go up against and we were up against wannabie triple “A” teams in our division and we promptly proved that by getting dropped kicked out of the play offs in the first round, not even winning a single game if I recall correctly. The best you could say about our 2005 team is that we were the best of the worst and who gave Bochy credit for nursing that team as far along as he did? No one that I can find, hell they are cheering his departure on the Yahoo board right now, that is how much credit he’s being given.

The 2006 year should have been a year of redemption for him. Somehow, and I will be damned if I can see how, he got a lot of people to step up for him, he brought this team into the play offs again and it should have been a real play off team this year, but once again it wasn’t, it was better than last year true, but 2 teams did not make the play offs that had better records than ours and if it wasn’t for our division and the NL central we could not have made it again this year and once again we were bounced out in the first round, but hey we did improve, we did win one game in the post season.

Those things had to be hard for him to take and yes, one player did make the difference, are you really telling me that you did not notice all of those games that we lost after Castilla left because of the bungled play at third? Are you telling me that you missed all the dissatisfaction that was in the news about his dismissal from the players as well as the coaching staff (excuse me anonymous sources close to the coaches lol) {it is a rarity of the players and coaching staff to be on the same page about something like this} after he left? All they wanted KT to do was to pick up a decent replacement for him before making the move and not only didn’t he do it short term, but long term too and not only did that jeopardize our finishing in first place in the west, to the point we only got it by a tie breaker, but it once again reduced us to being the best of the worst, instead of WS contenders, like a Division Champion should be. The best of the rest title should go to one of the wild card teams, who got in under the wire, something to give their fans something to root for and bring in a few more bucks towards the end of the season when normally they would be looking toward football season, not a Division Champion and it not only happened to Bochy once, but twice and the second time it happened against everything he was advising and he caught all the flack for it, how would you like to be him?

On top of that, do you really think that he just signed that contract without offering the Padres the chance to match it or God forbid beat it? How would you like to be a 23 + -year vet of a organization, who has just took two teams to the play offs, even though everyone in the league will agree they had no business being there hence someone was doing something right {wonder who that could be}, catching all the flack for not going further than they did and not being able to get that organization to match that offer or God forbid go better to show how much they value you, like 3 years for 6.5 million?

I think it is real easy for you to sit on the side lines and sling the mud, I do not think you would have that same opinion if you were in his shoes with a organization doing things you advise against and not even willing to match the offer the other organization made to you.

I guess in my bassackwards way, what I am saying is so I only mentioned one reason, if you look at it from his view point you will see those reasons add up to a lot more than just one, but it is that one that pisses me off the most. KT went against everyone’s advice and just cut Castilla as if you can just plug-and-play a person into playing a position and that was just stupid. It jeopardize our season and who knows, if he might have made the effort to get the right person, we might have at least made it to the second round and that would have been some vindication over last year and what is worse in my mind, and I think Bochy’s, I think we were better than the Cards this year and it was the seeds that KT planted when he cut Castilla that eventually beat us in the play offs. If you ain’t got the talent, you got to go with the chemistry and KT messed with the chemistry big time with that one little move. It does not seem like much, but if you go back and look at all of the write ups about it back then and look around now at the writers bringing it back up, you know it made a hell of a impact.

I will give the Padres credit for one thing, they did not stand in his way of leaving, but I will tell ya I have a bad feeling about it. We found Bochy, so there really is no reason why we can’t find another as good as he is/was, but usually when you just toss something away like that you are not blessed a second time and the opposite of blessed is not a good thing.

John B.

PS in direct responce to your last, you do not cut what you have when you are not willing to make the trade for his replacement

On a side note: Russell Branyan wasn't too shabby playing the position that would've been manned by Betimit.[/quote]
    John B.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    2 division titles in a row.

In the playoff hunt in late September every year since PetCo opened.

Is this the "less than effective" front office management you speak of?
    We were expected to beat St. louis and instead happily didn't even show up. That is less than effective.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by OBBoltsFan
    We were expected to beat St. louis and instead happily didn't even show up. That is less than effective.
    Is that the World Series Champion St Louis Cardinals you're talking about?

MLB ERA
    HollywoodLeo

Well it is nice of you to see if from the company’s viewpoint, I guess Bochy’s view point isn’t worth considering is it.
    It has nothing to do with who's viewpoing i'm looking at. It has to do with the fact that management has produced a playoff team two years in a row. That happens to be their viewpoint, but whatever.

Why don’t you put yourself in his shoes and see how you would feel. 2 years ago, we should have never been near the play offs, we got there simply by being in the right division in the right year, 7 other team had better records than we did that did not go because they had real competition to go up against and we were up against wannabie triple “A” teams in our division and we promptly proved that by getting dropped kicked out of the play offs in the first round, not even winning a single game if I recall correctly.
    Whatever. I'm tired of this party line. The Padres won the division, bottom line.

The best you could say about our 2005 team is that we were the best of the worst and who gave Bochy credit for nursing that team as far along as he did? No one that I can find, hell they are cheering his departure on the Yahoo board right now, that is how much credit he’s being given.
    I give Bochy a lot of credit. I'm on record as stating i'm dissapointed that he's leaving. I'm also not the one calling him a "traitor" here. I simply took a double-take at the pot shot on management that has produced two playoff teams in a row, and has had this team in the playoff hunt every year since PetCo has opened.

The 2006 year should have been a year of redemption for him. Somehow, and I will be damned if I can see how, he got a lot of people to step up for him, he brought this team into the play offs again and it should have been a real play off team this year, but once again it wasn’t, it was better than last year true, but 2 teams did not make the play offs that had better records than ours and if it wasn’t for our division and the NL central we could not have made it again this year and once again we were bounced out in the first round, but hey we did improve, we did win one game in the post season.
    And if they lost 100 games they would've been out of it by June.

The funny thing about "if" is that it's not what happend.

The Padres won the NL West for the 2nd year straight and Kevin Towers/Sandy Alderson deserve some credit.

Those things had to be hard for him to take and yes, one player did make the difference, are you really telling me that you did not notice all of those games that we lost after Castilla left because of the bungled play at third?
    Are you really telling me they lost games because of not having Vinny Castilla in the line up?

Are you telling me that you missed all the dissatisfaction that was in the news about his dismissal from the players as well as the coaching staff (excuse me anonymous sources close to the coaches lol) {it is a rarity of the players and coaching staff to be on the same page about something like this} after he left?
    If the players can't take the departure of a guy who was hurting the team and let it effect their play it's their own damn fault.

Vinny Castilla, decent defense aside, was hurting the team being in the starting line up. If they can't handle that then it's on them.

I blame Bochy more than I do managment for that debacle. It's his job to keep the players focused on the game and not on the status of their boosum buddies and whether or not they're in the dugout.

All they wanted KT to do was to pick up a decent replacement for him before making the move and not only didn’t he do it short term,
    I'm not going to take the effort of remembering the specifics right now, but I recall an injury (I believe Chris Young) and the need to bring up Mike Thompson again.

Somebody needed to go to make room and the only other option would've been to send down Cla Meredith...which was not going to happen.

but long term too and not only did that jeopardize our finishing in first place in the west, to the point we only got it by a tie breaker, but it once again reduced us to being the best of the worst, instead of WS contenders, like a Division Champion should be.
    I recall the Padres finishing with a better record than the NL Central champions.

It happens that they didn't beat them in the playoffs, but that's on the players and the manager

The GM got them the players that got them there and the players didn't perform.

I didn't respond to the rest of your post because I get the impression that you don't think I understand why Bochy made his decision...which is not the case.

I think the "I need to look out for my family's financial security" party line is a bit much, considering the millions he's already made, but I can still comprehend why he made the decision. (in terms of contract offers and lack of counter offers, anyways.)

The one thing I fail to comprehend, however, is how management can be judged based soley off of one move...or non move in this case.

If you ask me the whole Betimit thing was a bad turn of events. I was a bit pissy about it as well.

Hell, I even lost a bet when Todd Walker out performed Wilson Betimit from the trade deadline forward and Scott Linebrink posted better than an agreed upon ERA. (3 IRRC)

But to say that management is "ineffective" and to insinuate that the loss in the playoffs and the fact that they didn't run away with the division all lies soley on that is a bit much.

Especially when the replacements that were acquired instead of Betimit (Walker, Branyan) actually out performed him... defensive miscues aside. (Betimit's no gold glove either, I might add...)

To insinuate that making one move would've meant a completely different turn of events for this season is a bit much.

This management that you call ineffective is the same management that got us Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez for Adam "DL all season" Eaton and Akinori Otsuka.

They have got us 2 division titles in a row. Somehow I doubt that THAT is the reason Bochy left....especially for a team that couldn't even finish in 2nd in either of the 2 years that you blow off the division champions of due to the poor competition.

If the Padres division championships the past two seasons are to be blown off due to the overused "best of the worst" party lines then why would someone want to go to a team who's been in even worse shape?

MLB ERA
    Hollywood......while I do think that Betemit would have made a difference on this team, and in the playoffs.......I agree with your entire post as a whole.....you're dead nuts on

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    Is that the World Series Champion St Louis Cardinals you're talking about?
    I don't care what they did, we are a better team than St. Louis and should have won.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast