Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Up Next Oakland

ERA
    Call NASA
    A WIN is the single most important thing a pithcer can do for his team. The more the pitchers win, the more the team wins. If they get enough wins, they all go the playoffs. NO MATTER WHAT ANY OTHER STAT MAY BE.

I don't disagree totally but if a team doesn't score behind him...then it is not his fault that he doesn't reach 20 wins.

Joek, this is my argument:

Who would you rather have:

Pitcher A:

9-14, 2.56 ERA, Tampa Bay

Pitcher B:

23-12, 4.22 ERA, Cardinals

Which one would you rather have the Yanks sign?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Joek, this is my argument:

Who would you rather have:

Pitcher A:

9-14, 2.56 ERA, Tampa Bay

Pitcher B:

23-12, 4.22 ERA, Cardinals

Which one would you rather have the Yanks sign?
    Excellent point General. First of all, the WIN METHOD does not select players based on any stat or stats. It selects players based on questions and answers during an interview process. The WIN METHOD could possible select both, one or the other, or niether. Secondly, if you ask me which pitcher helped their team more during this one particular year, there is no question, Pitcher B. Third point, if either pitcher is traded or moves on via FA, their individual circumstances change and their performance may change.

After the interview, I report the results solely to Mr.S.. Mr.S. then makes the final decision as to whether or not to sign the player. Over the past decade, many high quality individual stat players have been bypassed by the YANKEES. And after all the dust has settled, the YANKEES have hac more success than any other team in MLB. Our present farm system is going great, and a great emphasis was put on pitching in the drafts the past couple of years. Some of these guys, if they develop and don't get injured may prove very beneficial down the road.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by RLA68
    I don't disagree totally but if a team doesn't score behind him...then it is not his fault that he doesn't reach 20 wins.
    You do not have to win 20 games to be a top notch pitcher. There is absolutely nothing wrong your starting five winning 75 games and losing 40. That leaves 47 other games and if the rest of your staff can keep you at .500 ball, the team wins 97-98 games and can usually reach the playoffs.

If your team scores only one run, then you need to pitch a shut out. If your team scores a dozen runs, you can give up ten. After the two games you are 2-0 and have a 5.00 ERA. What counts the most? The WINS or the ERA?

Joe, lets say both pitchers pass the Win Method test, answering all of the questions admirably and interviewing great. Who would you choose?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    Secondly, if you ask me which pitcher helped their team more during this one particular year, there is no question, Pitcher B..
    That's fair, but its also just as logical to say that Pitcher A's team didnt help him. As is the case with Roger Clemens. If the Rocket got the run support that Chris Carpenter (taking nothing away from Chris) Roger would certainly have more than 11 wins.
    General - If the D-Rays had a starter that could hang that ERA, he'd have more than 9 wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    If your team scores only one run, then you need to pitch a shut out. If your team scores a dozen runs, you can give up ten. After the two games you are 2-0 and have a 5.00 ERA. What counts the most? The WINS or the ERA?
    Point taken. But you need to realize you're not going to score a dozen runs a game. Great! You're 2-0! Now play another 160 games with an ERA around 5.00 and see how your record turns out.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Joe, lets say both pitchers pass the Win Method test, answering all of the questions admirably and interviewing great. Who would you choose?
    That is the sticking point with many of you. I don't choose who or which. However, in my opinion, if I thought both could help the team win, and both where financially sensible (remember this is my opinion) I would go after both. But 'financially sensible' is in the eyes of the guy putting up the money.
    The entire gist of the WIN METHOD however, is that either, niether, or both could be WIN METHOD. Think back over the past several years, of all the possible free agents who had great stats and look fantastic on paper, and ask why the YANKEES did not sign them. Look at it this way, ANY team who signs a player who truly rather be with that team than anywhere else, and who may or may not take less money to play for that team, and would rather have a role in helping that team win as compared to achieving individual stats, makes that team better. A player can be WIN METHOD for one team and yet not for another. He can be WIN METHOD for several teams. It may seem contradictary, but it really isn't. Everbody is different, and has different wants, needs and goals. That is the purpose of the WIN METHOD. To put as many players together wanting the same result for the team as adverse to themselves.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    Point taken. But you need to realize you're not going to score a dozen runs a game. Great! You're 2-0! Now play another 160 games with an ERA around 5.00 and see how your record turns out.
    Agreed, your are right. In a very short period, there are streaks, negative and positive. Over a season things tend to even out. But a winning pitcher, in the end will have a winning record. Saying a pitcher for one team, if pitching for another team would have better or lesser results based on what each team has done, to me is not a valid argument. Once rosters change to any degree, from major (any everyday player), to minor (the 25th guy), the outcome and results and performances change. Nothing is perfect, and nothing in infallible, particularly stats, and in particular man made stats.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123