Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing Sheffield

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Saber, what exactly is your team?

I can't post here now?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

No.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    why so quiet in yankee land?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    nyjunc, you are ther one being naive. Columnist make up crap all the time and why? To sell papers. Not even Cashman is dumb enough to propose this trade.
    True. This trade doesn't really make sense for either team.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    nyjunc, you are ther one being naive. Columnist make up crap all the time and why? To sell papers. Not even Cashman is dumb enough to propose this trade.
    They don't make stuff up, I guarantee you the Yanks and Mets had discussions and those names came up. They may embellish a bit sometimes but it all stems from what they hear. They are not simply making stuff up to sell papers, that is utter nonsense.

AAA ERA
    New York Times did it. Newsweek did it. 60 Minutes did it. I don't put it past the media to create news if there is none. The Post at its core is just a tabliod and tabliods feast on rumors and unreliable sources.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    New York Times did it. Newsweek did it. 60 Minutes did it. I don't put it past the media to create news if there is none. The Post at its core is just a tabliod and tabliods feast on rumors and unreliable sources.
    those are very rare instances and not sports related but politically motivated in a much more highly competetive industry of the News business. The Post is a tabloid and their rewg articles are slanted but you can trust their sports news(maybe the headlines are misleading but the content is based upon facts). If things were being made up we'd know about it b/c teams would go nuts.

There are definitely times reporters are fed wrong info by teams in trying to get their message out but that is not the reporter's fault, he or she is using info they received. They don't just completely fabricate stories.

AAA ERA
    Well to put this thing to rest, at about 2:20 on Mike and the Mad Dog, Mike asked Cash about the Sheffiled to the Mets deal. I'll paraphrase his answer:

"I told the reporters that this is the time of the season when a lot of rumors are going to be flying around and I'm not going to confirm of deny anything. You will have to rely on your sources and I will tell you 'No comment' when asked. But I'll help you out with this one: You (reporters) would be dead wrong if you wrote that."

That's what Cahman said on the radio, draw your own conclusions.
    Last edited by Hmark6; 07-01-2005 at 03:07 PM. Reason: grammar

MLB ERA
    Sounds like there could be a deal. But Shef for Cameron to me is no a good deal. Cameron plays better in the field and Shef's bat is way better. Who know maybe the deal happens and it will spark both teams.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan
    Sounds like there could be a deal. But Shef for Cameron to me is no a good deal. Cameron plays better in the field and Shef's bat is way better. Who know maybe the deal happens and it will spark both teams.
    You're kidding right?

MLB ERA
    Just saying it could very well happen. A trade to shake up both teams. Yankees have sucked this year. I am glad for that. But sooner but I hope later that the Yankes get going to make it a race with Boston and Baltimore.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Like I said before, even if the rumor were true, the Yankees have other problems to tackle, and better ways to tackle them. Gary Sheffield is a whiner and a liability in the field at this point, but he's pushing the Yankees where they want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Columnist make up shit. If you think otherwise, have fun with Michael Jackson in Neverland.

There is no doubt in my mind that this wasn't at least floated out there. Cashman has never liked Sheffield and doesn't want to deal Cano or Wang. The Yankees are floundering and need major help in CF if they are going anywhere. Would this deal ever go down? Obviously not, but when asked about it Torre basically said, "Cash told me he said 'no thanks' to the deal," so it was probably at least discussed. And really, it makes perfect sense that such a deal would be discussed. The Yankees call the Mets and ask if Cameron is available. The Mets respond, "sure, we'll send him your way plus prospects for Sheffield." Sounds perfectly plausible to me. I would think very little of any GM if he did not explore ALL options to fixing a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12