Thread: Jarrod Washburn?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Humor Jarrod Washburn?

ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports that the Yankees are taking a "serious look" at Jarrod Washburn.

Washburn's ERA sits at 4.75 on the season, but that's down over two full runs from his 6.99 high on May 23. He has also pitched well at Yankee Stadium, sporting a 2.82 ERA in six starts there over his career. He's under contract for $9.85 million in 2009, and the new Yankee Stadium is thought to benefit lefties just like the current one. With Andy Pettitte and Mike Mussina both facing free agency this winter, he could provide depth for the next year and a half.
    Washburn? Really? I am supposed to believe this is the best the most celebrated franchise in all of sports can do? This reminds me of the ill-advised trade for Jeff Weaver years back. Bad trade and will not have a huge effect on the team whatsoever. They are in bad shape if they are relying on Washburn.

MLB ERA

Re: Jarrod Washburn?

As a Red Sox fan if the yankees make this trade, Boston should host a parade!!! Washburn is almost worse than Ponson, at least ponson is a righty
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer's Jim Hickey says Jose Vidro is in the proposed Jarrod Washburn-to-New York deal being discussed.
    If that's the case, then Kei Igawa's contract would have to be going the other way. The Yankees probably wouldn't have to part with one of their better prospects if they were willing to take both Washburn and Vidro off Seattle's books. Hickey says talks are still in the preliminary stages for now. Washburn is capable of vetoing a deal to the Yankees, but whether he would or not is unknown.
    Igawa for two MLB ready players? HA! Seattle can't be that dumb can they?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer's Jim Hickey says Jose Vidro is in the proposed Jarrod Washburn-to-New York deal being discussed.
    If that's the case, then Kei Igawa's contract would have to be going the other way. The Yankees probably wouldn't have to part with one of their better prospects if they were willing to take both Washburn and Vidro off Seattle's books. Hickey says talks are still in the preliminary stages for now. Washburn is capable of vetoing a deal to the Yankees, but whether he would or not is unknown.
    Igawa for two MLB ready players? HA! Seattle can't be that dumb can they?

MLB ERA

those 2 guys shouldn't even be in MLB...they are terrible
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

One trade the Yankees could make now if they wanted would be Kei Igawa and a B-level prospect to Seattle for LHP Jarrod Washburn and DH/1B Jose Vidro. The Yankees would take on $16 million (plus a $500,000 buyout for Vidro) while shedding the $9.4 million owed to Igawa.

So for roughly $7.1 million, you get Washburn for this year and next and Vidro for this season. Washburn would likely want something to waive his no-trade clause, which includes the Yankees.

Washburn would be the No. 4 or No. 5 starter while Vidro would come off the bench. Neither has been very good this season, but they would replace Darrell Rasner and Justin Christian.

Washburn has pitched well of late, making it a deal worth pursuing. Dropping $7 million is pocket change for the Yankees. Take Vidro and DFA him if he’s awful. What difference would it make? Washburn is an upgrade for the rotation.

Washburn’s last eight starts: 51 IP, 54 H, 15 ER, 16 BB, 29 K, 2.65 ERA .722 opposing OPS.

Rasner’s last eight starts: 42.1 IP, 60 H 30 ER 17 BB 29 K, 6.38 ERA, .914 opposing OPS.

Per the Yankees LoHud Blog. I would absolutely do this deal, get Igawa the hell out of New York.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I just don't see the M's taking Igawa. They have no reason to.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

He's Asian.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

I completely agree with Brown. I actually think Washburn could do pretty well in New York, and if we can get Igawa out of here and even take a chance on someone like Washburn, I would be so for it. I agree with reefer also, I don't see why the hell ANYONE, let alone the M's, would want Igawa. But if they do, I'm all for it
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Igawa shit has to be NY usual bullshit because I cannot find one reason why the M's would make this deal. Washburn's stock is rising and Vidro is a throw in. The M's can do a lot better than Igawa and will. Absolutely no reason for the M's to try and dump salary by taking on salary. Makes no sense. Washburn will be Jeff Weaver all over again!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Mariners have reportedly asked the Yankees for Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner in a deal for Jarrod Washburn.

Apparently, they're also not looking to be saddled with Kei Igawa's contract. The Mariners have plenty of money, so they can hold out for an offer they like rather than simply dump Washburn's contract. However, this is a guy who is 22-38 with a 4.55 ERA over the last three years despite working in a pitcher's park. He wouldn't make the $10 million he's due next year if he were a free agent.
    Cabrera leaving doesn't sound like an option for the Yankees right now. I don't see this happening the way it is either.

MLB ERA

WTF if they give up brett gardner and melky for ****ing jarrod washburn, i would personally murder brian cashman. the M's are out of their mind if they think the Yanks would pull the trigger on that deal. in the outfielder situation the Yanks are in, why in gods name would they give up 2 starters? The M's are probalby just doing that as a way to get the Yankees scared out of interest
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.