Thread: Joba vs Greinke - Yankees vs Royals Game 3

Game Joba vs Greinke - Yankees vs Royals Game 3

A start isn't "just" a start for Joba Chamberlain. Not yet, anyway. The former reliever made it through just 2 1/3 innings in his much-hyped debut in the rotation on Tuesday against Toronto, but all eyes will stay on him when he heads to the mound against the Royals on Sunday afternoon.
    Chamberlain was visibly upset with that short performance, kicking the dirt as he exited. He gave up just one hit but was tagged for two runs, and the Blue Jays went on to defeat the Yankees, 9-3.
    To ease Chamberlain's transition from the bullpen, manager Joe Girardi limited him to a pitch count of around 65 for that first outing as a starter. But Chamberlain fell into a hole early against the Jays, who worked him for 38 pitches in the first inning, and he left the game after his 62nd toss.
    The hurler said that he won't change his throws, but he'll need quicker outs to increase the number of innings he can stay in a game.
    "I'll continue to attack, pitch out my fastball, but I've got to continue to get ahead. They know I'm on a certain pitch count," Chamberlain said. "I've got to take advantage of getting strike one, and try and get those guys out in three pitches or less."
    This time he'll have a few more tosses with which to work. Girardi has increased the pitch count, to 75 to 80, and said that he's looking for Chamberlain to throw five innings on Sunday.
    "That means there aren't any long innings, long-pitch-count innings," Girardi said. "That means he's attacking the zone."
    Chamberlain's first start featured mostly a rotation between his fastball and slider, but he said that if the situation calls for it, he feels confident using all the pitches in his arsenal. And he'll need to show off some curveballs and changeups as he faces batters multiple times at the plate.
    Despite the anticipation surrounding his move to the rotation, the 22-year-old said that nerves didn't play a factor in his debut.
    "It was actually the best I've probably felt, just being prepared, being ready," he said. "It is what it is.
    "You've got to continue to stay grounded and know that you've got to make pitches and continue to get outs. It's definitely something that you look forward to, and you know what comes along with it."
    Pitching matchup
    NYY: RHP Joba Chamberlain (1-2, 2.42 ERA)
    Chamberlain will look for his first win as a starter against Kansas City, a team he's thrown against only once, in 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief.
    KC: RHP Zack Greinke (5-3, 3.56 ERA)
    After a rousing start this season -- he was 5-1 after his first nine starts -- Greinke has hit a bit of a slump. On Tuesday night at Chicago, the White Sox pounded him for four home runs and eight runs. He took his second straight loss, and he hasn't won in his last three starts. In those three games, he's given up 17 runs in 19 innings. Against the Sox, he constantly had the ball up and hittable, something he'll have to avoid against the Yankees. He beat the Bombers, 4-0, with eight shutout innings on April 9 in Kansas City.
    Tidbits
    With two singles on Saturday, second baseman Robinson Cano recorded his third straight multi-hit game. ... Jason Giambi has two career home runs in 11 at-bats against Greinke. ... With right-hander Chris Britton landing on the 15-day disabled list on Friday with a strained left ribcage, the Yankees have now placed 14 players on the DL 15 times this season (Wilson Betemit twice), surpassing their totals from last season. ... A message board next to Mike Mussina's locker on Saturday morning read, "No one, and I mean no one, eats the cinnamon Munchkins."
    The Official Site of The New York Yankees: News: Chamberlain poised for rebound

Re: Joba vs Greinke - Yankees vs Royals Game 3

I really hope he pitches solidly today. He really really needs to cut down on the amount of walks he gives up here.

He's pitching solidly already, and the Yankees offense is hot AGAIN!

MLB ERA

anyone know if he has a pitch limit again this time? Last time it was 65-70. Just wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

They said 72-75

MLB ERA

I heard 85-90

MLB ERA

Michael Kay on YES said 72-75, although I could be wrong

That was not cool. Girardi said 75-80

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Joba doesn't last five innings and gives up two earned. Anyone else worried about this experiament taxing the bullpen?

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Joba doesn't last five innings and gives up two earned. Anyone else worried about this experiament taxing the bullpen?
    It's taxing Dan Giese who was brought up for that specific job so no I'm not worried that it's taxing the pen.

Joba looked better in outing 2 and the pitch count is going up, he should be able to get past the 5ht next time then be almost like a normal SP after that. It's nice to win while this tyransformation is taking place.