Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Rodriguez moves to...

AAA ERA

Alex Rodriguez moves to...

...Centerfield?

I just heard this on Mike and the Mad Dog. Mike threw it out there and its not such a crazy idea. Not for this year, but maybe next year. A-Rod's a big, athletic guy with arm enough for the outfield. The Yankees love having a big star out there holding down CF. How does that strike you guys? A-Rod as the anchor out there for another 8-10 years, winning pennants, chasing records. Plus we could get another season or two out of Bernie as the DH.

Just an idea. What do you guys think?

ERA
    Call NASA
    Well since he is a sieve at third base and has made a mockery of that positon, he maybe can't do any worse in CF. The question is will he do it if asked?

Wouldn't it make more sense to move Jeter to center? He's built more like your typical center fielder.

ERA
    Call NASA
    In my opinion, you don't move the best shortstop in baseball out a position he owns and has dominated. However, I'll bet if he is asked, he wouldn't hesitate. But then you leave a gapping hole at SS.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Impossibles
    Wouldn't it make more sense to move Jeter to center? He's built more like your typical center fielder.
    No that wouldn't make a bit of sense. Jeter has earned SS in the Bronx as long as he is breathing.

A-Rod is not built like a typical CF either. He's built like a freakin' wide reciever. And to be honest I'd rather have A-Rod split out wide than Plaxico Burress, but that belongs in another forum. He mastered the toughest position on the field when he won his Gold Glove at SS, so I think he could handle it well. Granted, he played a decent 3b last year, but he struggling now. I don't think its matter of if the Yankees ask him. I think he'd have to offer his CF services to Joe Torre.

He has a pretty good arm, would make an awesome CF.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    In my opinion, you don't move the best shortstop in baseball out a position he owns and has dominated.
    But that's what A-rod did...didn't he win the gold glove at SS a few times? and lead in other offensive categories? Jeter being the best SS in baseball is another debate...he's obviously up there, but I don't think he's the best. I'd love to have him on my team if I had to pick people, but not if he was my first pick...if I had to pick a SS first, it wouldn't be him. Basically, I mean I'd pick some other positions and then pick him. I think right now I'd rather have Tejada IMHO

AA ERA
    It would look so wierd to see A-Rod in center, but I would have said the same thing about 3B.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I think its pretty funny that you guys think Arod can just up and go to CF. I also think it is funny that after a season and a few months you think Arod is gonna be the best third baseman. It takes time to learn these positions. Arod is still learning and you have to give him time. Moving Arod to center would be one of the dumbest moves in all of baseball. Same for moving Jeter. If anyone could be moved, it would be Cano. Best thing you could do is go out and find a CFer.

And even if by some miracle A-Rod winds up in CF, where are we going to get a 3B?

Best thing you could do is go out and find a CFer.
    Yes, because we can just find them laying around, right?

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I think its pretty funny that you guys think Arod can just up and go to CF. I also think it is funny that after a season and a few months you think Arod is gonna be the best third baseman. It takes time to learn these positions. Arod is still learning and you have to give him time. Moving Arod to center would be one of the dumbest moves in all of baseball. Same for moving Jeter. If anyone could be moved, it would be Cano. Best thing you could do is go out and find a CFer.
    What makes you think he can't play CF? He's the best pure athelete on the Yankees. Craig Biggo was a cather that wound up in CF. If he can do it why can't A-Rod? Robin Yount was a SS that wound up in CF. If he can do it why can't A-Rod? A-Rod is a better 5-Tool Guy than both Biggio and Yount.

Why would it be one of the dumbest moves in all of baseball? That sounds a bit sensational. You need production out of your outfield positions. Production that a pop-gun singles hitter like Cano will not give you.

What's more expensive this off-season: A productive CF or a productive 3B? What's going to be more readily available?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Having seen AROD play in Person in Seattle. Hes just another athlete than could probably play Catcher if he wanted too. Hes got the Arm, the Speed (he stole 40 bases once), But does he have the instincts to play CF, that would be my concern (having seen Randy Winn in CF last season). I think Jeter could have the purt grit to be a solid CF my self but the captain has earned SS as long as he wants in NY.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Did I ever say he couldn't play CF? Nope sure didn't. Bringing up Biggio is pretty lame as we all know he was not a good one. Robin Yount was pretty average in CF too. Sure Chuck Knoblauch moved from second to left but did that make him good? Nope. It takes years to learn and craft a position is what I was saying. He hasn't even learned how to play third completely. Now you are gonna give up on him and move him to center? He gives the same production out of third that he would center so I don't get the point that your outfield needs more production. Either way Arod would be in the lineup. If you put Cano in Cf or Arod you still got the same guys in the lineup. Let him develop as a third baseman is all I am saying. If George wants a true Cfer, he will get one. You should know that.

MLB ERA
    Taking defense into account, it would make more sense to move Jeter to center, Rodriguez back to short, and find a third baseman. It makes even more sense to know if there are any third baseman or center fielders available before you do something like that.

Derek Jeter's defensive style should make any transition easy. He's well known as the best in the game at tracking fly balls, but can't get any grounders to his left to save his life. Robin Yount is a great comp here.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

It does make sense, but it ain't happening. Jeter's the captain; you don't move the captain, unless he volunteers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast