Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carlos Lee to be dealt?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I think the Brewers can get a better deal than what the Yanks are offering.
    I concur...I think the Dodgers could pretty much get anyone they wanted if they're willing to part with the prospects...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Overbay doesn't play for Milwaukee now, does he?
    No but he did and very well I might add. Then they traded him for Bush and a young lefty named Zack Jackson who isn't doing too bad in AAA right now. Brewers also got Moeller in that trade if you want to speak of players that are still there.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So we can all agree that the Sexson deal was a good one for the Brew Crew, right? So what about this Lee sitauation? You guys think the same kind of deal can be made for an equally impressive slugger?

MLB ERA
    if teams like the Dodgers or Angels want him, then yea...but if teams like the Yankees want him, then no...only teams with deep farm systems would probably trade for him (or Willis or Zito) because they would still have specs in the system even if they had to give up 3 or 4...teams like the Yankees don't have as deep a farm system, so they're reluctant to give up what they do have. The A's are in a similar situation as all of their higher level specs are up now, so they're thin at the top currently...they probably wouldn't be able to add someone of significance without giving up someone already at the Major League level...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I would say he is the biggest bat on the block right now. So for the Yankees or the BoSox to go after him, it would not be outside of their realm. I actually see the Yankees being a huge possibility. Not the BoSox so much because they already have depth in the outfield and at DH. Do you guys think he is the biggest bat available for the deadline?

Oakland A's G.M.
    Rookie ERA
    Yeah he's a free agent next year and will be asking for a high price, they wouldn't seem to hate the idea of trading him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I see the Dodgers as a better possibilty than the Yankees. Yanks don't have near the talent the Dodgers do! Lee would put the Dodgers over the hump and take that NL West crown.

No reason for the Sox to go after him anyway, they have 3 OFs and a DH, and even if/when Nixon leaves next year, Pena slides in
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    The Red Sox would have more chips than the Yankees if they were interested.

The Yankees can want to acquire Lee all they want, but I don't think they'ld be able to get him unless the Brewers are dumb about it...the only way they get him is if they give up MLB players because they don't have the specs besides the one they don't want to give up.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    A possibility for the Yanks?

A month from now, in theory, Hughes may have a different employer. If the Yankees are lagging in the pennant race and Steinbrenner, the principal owner, decides he must have Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee or a front-line pitcher, he could order Hughes to be traded.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/26/sp...=1&oref=slogin

MLB ERA
    good 'ol Georgie porgie

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    If they could get Hughes it would be huge! This is the guy they need to look for. I think the Yanks and the Brew Crew have a good fit here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    A short item in the Chicago Tribune indicated Brewers leftfielder Carlos Lee told friends he would be interested in playing for the Cubs next year, should he make it to free agency. Lee kept his house here after being traded from the White Sox to the Brewers after the 2004 season.

Lee confirmed he made the Cubs comment.

"I'd be home again," said Lee.

The item also said Lee is looking for a five-year deal for around $75 million. "I didn't say that," said Lee.

Informed of that printed figure, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin seemed stunned.

"Derrek Lee didn't even get that," said Melvin, referring to the five-year, $65 million extension the Cubs gave their all-star first baseman last year.

"Everybody assumes we're going to trade Carlos," added Melvin. "We haven't said we're trading him."
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=444021

So Melvin has not said they are trading him? I think it would be very smart of him if he did, but the Cubs just wouldn't be a good fit because it would be trading within the division. I know he said if he were a FA, thats where he would want to go. But this just shows us that they are not even close to figuring this one out.

MLB ERA
    I read that 6 teams had scouts watching Hughes the other night...the A's were among those 6 teams, too. As were the Diamondbacks and the Dodgers.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees...eorge_king.htm

MLB ERA
    I heard yesterday that the Brewers should really consider trading Lee as his future might at the DH position because of his size...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=466963

and this guy says that if the Brewers keep playing how they have lately, then they should trade him and try to get something while they can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12