Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn: MLB Edition (8-3)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Palmeiro is still a hall of famer. Why? Because, unlike Pete Rose, he has not been given a lifetime ban from baseball. Baseball writers can still vote Palmeiro in for the hall of fame based on his stats. It's still hard to vote against 3000 hits and 500 home runs.

+++

Redsrbetter?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Palmeiro is still a Hall Of Famer. But that is not what I would do. But with the way the MLB and the Player's association have handled things, he still is allowed to make it. I fear most HOF voters will vote him in on the reasons he should if he did not cheat the game. But, since he did cheat the game, I am all for keeping it out of reach from him. This guy has been a role model too many people, and he has gone out of his way to speak out against using steroids, yet he ruined the whole thing. Palmeiro is a cheater in my book, and no cheater should be allowed to even play the sport that they are so gifted to play.

++++

Guys..Palmeiro used a pretty damn strong steroid. He lied to Congress. And yet he's in the HOF?

Well, you vote for him, not me.

Next up, the Giambino, who hit 14 Hrs in July without steroid help. Since his bout with an intestinal parasite last year and the discovery of a benign pituitary tumor, Giambi is constantly having blood work done by doctors and MLB has access to those tests.

With that in mind...is Giambi contributing more than expected for the Yanks this season? Around the Horn to Mofo.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think Giambi has. Expectations couldn't have been lower after the season he had last year with his health problems and the discovery of his use of steroids. Brian Cashman was open about trading him in the offseason and there was some speculation that the Yankees would release him. For him to come back and contribute the way he has, I would say yes, he has been contributing more than expected.

++++

Witlon?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't see how you can say he hasn't been. This guy was getting benched earlier this season to get at bat for Andy Phillips! Forget the 14 HR's for a second, he's hit .344 over the last month! This guy has to be baseball's biggest surprise of the season.

+++

Redsrbetter?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I must say, I am shocked! After seeing what Giambi did in the early stages of this season, I thought he was finished. Cashman threatening to put him in AAA may have put a charge into him though. His approach is a lot different as he has gone away from trying to spray the ball to all fields. He went back to being a dead pull hitter and is benefiting from it. He has gotten his AVG. up to .246 with a .990 OPS. Thats a 1B that the yankees didn't expect to see. I just hope his health will be behind him after this season. But he gets the comeback player of the American League if I did the voting.

[Mute} .283 AVG, .443 OBP, .547 SLG., .990 OPS. Where do you get your stats from?

+++

Bipster, finish off the first round.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Absolutely he is contributing more than expected....he contributed more in July than he was expected to for the whole year. Everyone has to remember that the Yankees wanted to demote Giambi to the minors (that alone tells you that much wasn't expected) earlier this year, to get whatever swing he had back. You also can't discount the fact that Tino had that spurt in May of 10 homers in 13 games. At that point Giambi was reduced to a cheerleader and sat on the bench, obviously the Yankees or anybody didn't expect much from him at that point either. Despite all of that Giambi is still on pace for 29 homers to go along with a .283 avg, and lets not forget that Giambi is first in the AL in OBP at .443, 9th in the AL in SLG, and 3rd in the AL in OPS. The Yankees, in the best possible dream couldn't have imagined that Giambi would come back like this for any team, let alone to do it in the bright spotlight of New York City

++++

*HORN*

Well, we're through one, and here is how they stand:

Bipster and Realmofotalk at the top with 7. Witlon and Redsrbetter bringing up the rear with 6.

Time to pay the bills via a commercial break; when we return, we dim the lights for a little Buy or Sell.

Buy now, sell later!

First up...Steroids..again. With Ryan Franklin also suspended 10 games..bur or sell Franklin being a bigger loss to his team than Palmeiro? Around the Horn to Witlon.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm selling. Seattle's not in the race, and Franklin's nothing more than an average pitcher(4.61 ERA) that gives up way too many homers. Baltimore needs Palmerio in order to stay in the wildcard race, and Franklin doesn't really matter.

+++

Mofo?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast