Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn: MLB Edition (8-3)

+++

Mofo?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sell. Hernandez would have to average 20 wins for 15 seasons or 15 wins for 20 seasons for him to get 300 wins. Even in Safeco field, the pitching haven, it is tough for pitchers to average that much wins in the age of 5 man rotations and crappy bullpens. Randy Johnson only has 257 wins so far in his career. Felix has a shot, but give us a dozen years before we can determine that.

++++

Witlon?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Twenty-two players in major league history have won 300 games. This guy hasn't even won one yet. With injuries and how pitching prospects fizzle out so easily these days, I must sell.

+++

Bipster?

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    I'll sell this, for a simple reason....injuries. In this day and age you have too many injuries to deal with. Felix has already had to sit out for a month this year with minor bursitis. Don't forget that everyone was raving about Kerry Wood too, after 7 years his stats are more comparable to Chan Ho Park and Park isn't going to win 300. Nolan Ryan barely made it to 300 wins (324 to be exact) and the only reason why he did that was because he pitched for 26 years. Greg Maddux made it, but it took 17 consecutive year of 15+ wins. My point is, talent and stuff doesn't get you 300 wins, you have to have a good team to go along with a whole lot of luck to be able to make it to 300 wins nowadays. Felix will be very good, just not 300 wins good.

+++++ Very nicely done Bipstah.

Final Buy or Sell: With Atlanta now leading the division, and the Nats fading away slowly, buy or sell Atlanta-Washington being 1-2 in the NL East at season's end. Around the Horn to Witlon.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm selling. Florida simply has more talent on their roster. Mike Lowell and Juan Pierre are coming around, not to mention AJ Burnett. The Nationals are a great story, but I don't see them having enough pitching or hitting to finish higher than the Marlins in the standings.

+++

Redsrbetter?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Sell. It will be Marlins-Braves by season's end. With the Reds beating the Braves tonight and perhaps tomorrow as well, the Marlins will be ready to pounce. I just don't see how these teams can hold the marlins with the keeping of Burnett. Just mark my words, Marlins will take the East!

+++ Bold prediction by Redsrbetter. I'll hold you to it come September.

Bipster, what say you?

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Sell, the Nationals are fading faster than an old persons eyesight. One thing is for sure, the Braves will finish first in the division the same way they have the last 12 million years. But as for the Nationals they simply don't have the talent yet to hold off the likes of the Marlins and the Phillies. The Expos of Washingtons' players are just now competing in their first playoff stretch run and it is showing on a daily basis that they don't know how to win for a full season. The Marlins, who have been underachieveing all year long still has most of its team still around from the World Series Championship....they know how to win the big game(s), and will take over second.

+++

Mofo, finish off buy or sell.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sell. Washington has fallen from 1st place in the division to 5.5 games behind Atlanta. Meanwhile, the Marlins have rose from last place to 1 game back of Washington. Washington's pythagorean record indicated that the Nats gained a handful of lucky wins in the 1st half of the season. At one point the Nats' pyth record was .490, meaning they were supposed to have a losing record instead of a .587 winning percentage. Now their pythagorean record is catching up to their actual record.

++++

That ends buy or sell...and with 2 rounds in the books..we need to drop some dead weight. Tally time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast