Thread: Why? Keith Olbermann joins MLB.com

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Random Why? Keith Olbermann joins MLB.com

The latest addition to the MLB Advanced Media roster needs little in the way of an introduction.

Most Americans know Keith Olbermann for his political work, but the award-winning journalist always has been a self-described "baseball nerd." Now he'll be writing about the sport he loves as an at-large columnist for MLBAM.

"I've long respected MLB.com's editorial independence and I'll be delighted to test it," Olbermann said.

His appropriately named Baseball Nerd MLBlog launched last month, and he is currently blogging three times a week. He has blogged about the debuts of both New York ballparks, including photos from his visits.

Olbermann asked that his full salary for his MLBAM work be split equally among three charitable organizations: the Baseball Assistance Team, St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital and the Jayden Braden/Ariana Marzano College Fund, established in support of the late John Marzano's grandchildren. Marzano, a former Major Leaguer and MLB.com host, died a little more than one year ago in a home accident in Philadelphia.

"Seriously, it's an honor to be able to write about all the obscure things I love inside the game I love, and to help some worthy causes in the process, and to honor an old friend," he said. "Not to mention that it will be my politics-free oasis. Unless another cat jumps up at another Governor."

The host of MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" got his broadcasting start in sports journalism with CNN and ESPN. After leaving ESPN, Olbermann became a sports anchor and producer for Fox Sports Net from 1998 to 2001, during which he hosted several World Series broadcasts. The past two NFL seasons, Olbermann has served as co-host of NBC's "Football Night in America."

Olbermann becomes the first national journalist to join the digital newspaper initiative that MLBAM has scheduled to launch in May.

Dinn Mann, Executive Vice President of Content for MLBAM, spoke highly of Olbermann, saying, "Keith is not just a student of the game, he is an unmistakable personality who combines punch line instincts with journalistic drive. This is an exciting step in the landscape of sports commentary and MLBAM."

Given the nature of his political commentary and the highly charged emotions of that crowd, Olbermann offered this advice for any fans eager to flame him on the comments of his MLBAM content: "I don't care."

On April 14, Olbermann was a guest on MSNBC colleague Rachel Maddow's show and they talked at length about Olbermann's MLBlog and his baseball views, from the Cubs' alleged curse of the Billy Goat (which he suspects is "made up") to the intricacies of the balk. "I have just one more question," Maddow said at the end of the chat, "can we do this all the time?"

Baseball fans who follow Olbermann's commentary here will be able to relate.
    Hopefully it's better than his butchering of Football Night in America.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Why? Keith Olbermann joins MLB.com

Baseball is Olbermann strongest subject and one of the most knowledgeable anchors Sportscenter ever had. He will be a great addition.

MLB ERA

Olbermann is better than having that douchebag Costas on there.

MLB ERA

Not only is Olbermann knowledgeable, he will remind you of that fact often, just in case you forgot.

MLB ERA

Why did someone have to bring his football stuff up, thats cruel and unusual punishment, but he'll be better at baseball for sure
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    Olbermann is better than having that douchebag Costas on there.
    Costas is the furthest from douchebag you can possibly get

And I hate Keith Olbermann because he is the true douchebag, but I at least respect him because he knows what he's talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Not only is Olbermann knowledgeable, he will remind you of that fact often, just in case you forgot.
    I forget, what is Olbermann knowledgeable in? Differentiating male and female ducks?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    What a fantastic comment.

Olbermann, despite his show being pretty intolerable (even if you agree with him), is a passionate baseball fan who can have a pretty good sense of humor. Anything to create more exposure for baseball, and having "names" attached will do that, is good in my book.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Costas is the furthest from douchebag you can possibly get

And I hate Keith Olbermann because he is the true douchebag, but I at least respect him because he knows what he's talking about.
    Oh yeah? When Costas ****ing questions one of the greatest play by play announcer, John Miller's integrity on national radio, then yeah he is a douchebag!