View Poll Results: Who is your first half AL Cy Young winner?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cliff Lee (12-2, 2.31 ERA)

5 26.32%
  • Justin Duchscherer (10-5, 1.82 ERA)

6 31.58%
  • Joe Saunders (12-5, 3.07 ERA)

1 5.26%
  • John Danks (7-5, 2.67 ERA)

0 0%
  • Daisuke Matsuzaka (10-1, 2.65 ERA)

1 5.26%
  • Mariano Rivera (23 Saves, 1.06 ERA)

6 31.58%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Half AL Cy Young

Re: First Half AL Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    Just because Rivera is a closer he gets no love.
    NO!!!, Just because he's not deserving he gets no love. The only guy that should be lower on this list than him is Dice-K.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    NO!!!, Just because he's not deserving he gets no love. The only guy that should be lower on this list than him is Dice-K.
    explain yourself please
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Halladay_is_God View Post
    K-Rod's ERA is only 2.36 (which is 4th among AL Closers with over 20 SV), WHIP is high though at 1.26
    o my bad. for some reason i remember him having a higher ERA. either way, Mo's is over a whole Run lower

MLB ERA

Agreed, but Mo has also lost a couple of games where he came in with a tie. Yeah, it's not a blow save, but he did BLOW the game itself. I agree with your pressure innings argument to a point, but if a starter goes deep into a game and is tied, and he holds the other team there for the 6th and 7th innings and allows his team to take a lead, at least he played a role in earning a win....the save....his team already took the lead. Basically, he's doing what he's EXPECTED to do. So, yes, Mo is having an EXCELLENT year, but he's not the Cy Young.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Agreed, but Mo has also lost a couple of games where he came in with a tie. Yeah, it's not a blow save, but he did BLOW the game itself. I agree with your pressure innings argument to a point, but if a starter goes deep into a game and is tied, and he holds the other team there for the 6th and 7th innings and allows his team to take a lead, at least he played a role in earning a win....the save....his team already took the lead. Basically, he's doing what he's EXPECTED to do. So, yes, Mo is having an EXCELLENT year, but he's not the Cy Young.
    that situation with a starter is different though LJ. A closer is instantly thrust into the pressure situation. a starter has been allowed to pitch for 6 or 7 innings prior, and is probably in a groove. the closer has to have it right out of the gate. that's a whole different mentality and a whole lot more difficult

MLB ERA

Idk, it depends. a 3 run lead with one inning to go is a save situation. So, just because it's a save situation doesn't mean it's THAT much pressure. Any major league pitcher should be able to get out of the 9th up 3 runs...

MLB ERA

Idk, it depends. a 3 run lead with one inning to go is a save situation. So, just because it's a save situation doesn't mean it's THAT much pressure. Any major league pitcher should be able to get out of the 9th up 3 runs...
    exactly LJ. which is why i think Mo's 0.37 ERA in save situations vs. K-Rod's 2.23 ERA is so much more amazing than K-Rod having more saves. because K-Rod comes in with 3 run leads, gives up 1 or 2 runs, and still gets the save. Mo doesn't allow ANY runs.

MLB ERA

That's not true. He's LOST more games than K-Rod. Again, I still say Mo is the best closer in the game, but I just don't think he's a Cy Young...I mean, 12 of his saves, Mo came in with a multiple run lead.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I mean, 12 of his saves, Mo came in with a multiple run lead.
    The nerve of him!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bias doesn't exist, just like Alf and the Easter Bunny.

If Reefer put Trevor Hoffman on either of the Cy Young polls, he would have gotten Leo's vote.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

That's not what I'm saying. I am in no way disrespecting Mo, I feel like I've made it very clear that I think there are none better. However, I wouldn't give him my vote for CY(assuming I had one).

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    explain yourself please

Well, first off I believe a starter is far more important than a relief pitcher. A starter must go through the lineup multiple times to be effective. He must alter his pitching attack a little each time through the lineup to keep the hitters off balance. Closers can potentially come in, pitch to three batters that haven't seen him in weeks and get a "save". You stated that closers come in in "pressure situations", well if a starter is in a close game, say it's scoreless going into the 7th, he's been under pressure ever since the second or third inning when it became evident this was going to be a pitching duel. Those 3 outs that he comes into get in the 9th aren't any different than the 3 outs that the starter got in the 1st. I do agree with you that wins are somewhat out of a pitcher's hand, if the team can't score runs, then the pitcher doesn't get a win. Why did I put Dice-K below Rivera? Like I said he's a starting pitcher that is averaging 5.5 innings per start, that's pathetic. He's relying on his team more than anything. He walks to many, throws too many pitches, and regardless of what others have posted in this topic, if he keeps walking guys he will get burnt. It's a good thing Boston has plenty of quality starters to follow Dice-Walk up, because if their whole rotation was like him the bullpen would be full of dead arms by now. Quite honestly, John Danks should probably be below Rivera too, I kind of forgot about him. You keep putting a lot of emphasis on ERA, and WHIP and none on Saves, Wins and Innings... So by your standards where would you put Brad Zeigler of Oakland? He hasn't given up an earned run yet, so has he been more effective than Rivera?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123