14. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

4 28.57%
  • no

10 71.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd wild card?

2nd wild card?

should the mlb introduce a 2nd wild card berth like football, i am saying yes, it just makes hte season more competetive.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2nd wild card?

No because the football playoffs suck ass with the extra wild card making them longer. November baseball is terrible!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The football playoffs are awesome. As for a second Wild Card, absolutely not
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

i am in agreement. the playoffs are perfect the way they are. why fix what ain't broken. absolutely no 2nd wild card necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

why not, i think it would make more teams competitive at hte end of the season.

MLB ERA

it would make teams less competative because they know there are 2 spots they could grab, not 1. if 3 teams are fighting for 1 spot rather than 2, they will fight that much harder
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Plus a bye week would have to be involved and teams already complain about the long layoffs between series. Playoff baseball is meant to be played in October!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

When that many teams make the the playoffs, the honor a team receives for reaching the playoffs is diminished. Personally I like knowing that the 8 teams who made the playoffs were damn good and chances are that next year, a solid majority will come back and nearly all will usually put up a strong follow-up effort. The fact that the baseball season is a long journey that isn't fruitful for every team makes it all that much more special when your team does make it.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The difference with the NFL is that major league baseball has a 162-game regular season, so at the end, everyone knows who the good teams are. In the NFL, you have a 16-game season, so it's hard to tell whether a 10-6 team is that much better than a 9-7 team. The extra wild card in football settles that. Besides, they have 4 divisions, so they need two wild cards. In baseball, you have three divisions, therefore only one wild card is needed.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

No way, that's too many teams. The only reason there is a wild card berth in baseball is because there are three divisions and one berth was needed for a four team playoff.

This would also add an extra round to the playoffs and that would push the World Series back into November when it needs to be played in October.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    The difference with the NFL is that major league baseball has a 162-game regular season, so at the end, everyone knows who the good teams are. In the NFL, you have a 16-game season, so it's hard to tell whether a 10-6 team is that much better than a 9-7 team. The extra wild card in football settles that. Besides, they have 4 divisions, so they need two wild cards. In baseball, you have three divisions, therefore only one wild card is needed.
    Excellent points.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Plus a bye week would have to be involved and teams already complain about the long layoffs between series. Playoff baseball is meant to be played in October!
    I could care less what month it's played in, but I agree with the rest of your points.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Pronk48 View Post
    No way, that's too many teams. The only reason there is a wild card berth in baseball is because there are three divisions and one berth was needed for a four team playoff.

This would also add an extra round to the playoffs and that would push the World Series back into November when it needs to be played in October.
    Why does the WS need to be played in October?

Don't get me wrong, I voted no on the poll for many of the reasons stated in this thread (especially DK's post) but I don't get that part of the argument.

If a 2nd wild card team made sense (it doesn't, but if it did) and the only thing that was stopping them from introducing it was that the WS, heaven forbid, would then be played in November instead of October I think that would be a rather silly reason to not introduce it.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

I have always said to either realign the MLB playoff structure change it to a 6 team playoff instead of 4. I'm getting sick and tired of teams playing there asses off for 162 games and fall short by .5- 2 games at the end.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Why does the WS need to be played in October?

Don't get me wrong, I voted no on the poll for many of the reasons stated in this thread (especially DK's post) but I don't get that part of the argument.

If a 2nd wild card team made sense (it doesn't, but if it did) and the only thing that was stopping them from introducing it was that the WS, heaven forbid, would then be played in November instead of October I think that would be a rather silly reason to not introduce it.
    Because these guys have been playing baseball since February! Ten months of baseball is too much for these people and the fans. MLB already messed up last year trying to cater to the NFL with the postseason schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast