Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Return of...Sammy Sosa?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Rangers The Return of...Sammy Sosa?

The Texas Rangers have offered Sammy Sosa a minor league contract and invited him to spring training, where the veteran slugger would have the chance to make the major league club, a source told ESPNdeportes.com Tuesday.

A baseball source also told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the Rangers and Sosa were working toward an agreement.

"Sammy seems hungry and somewhat humbled by the last two years,'' Texas general manager Jon Daniels said in an e-mail to ESPN.com. "This is about giving a second chance to a guy who did a lot for the game, and who wants an opportunity to prove he can contribute. We're not setting expectations, and he's not asking for anything other than a chance to compete."

It was not immediately clear how much the deal would be worth if Sosa were to make the major league club, but the source said that a big chunk of the money would be incentive-based.

"We've had productive discussions," Sosa's agent, Adam Katz, told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Sosa worked out for Rangers officials at Ameriquest Field on Monday and later had dinner with Daniels. If Sosa were to come to terms with the team, he would report to Rangers spring training on Feb. 22 in Surprise, Arizona.

The relationship between the Rangers and Sosa would be nothing new. Sosa signed his first baseball contract with Texas 22 years ago out of the Dominican Republic, and after four years in the minors, he made his major league debut with the Rangers at age 20 in 1989. He hit .238 with one home run (off Roger Clemens at Fenway Park) and three RBIs before being traded to the Chicago White Sox.

Rangers hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo managed Sosa in 1986 for the Rangers' rookie league team.

Sosa, a seven time All-Star and author of three 60-plus home run seasons, has 588 homers in a 17-year career, but he hit just .221 with 14 round-trippers in 102 games with the Orioles in 2005 and did not play last year.

"I think I still have a lot to give in baseball," said Sosa last month, when he began to work out in the Dominican.

Sosa, 38, turned down a non-guaranteed contract worth $500,000 from the Washington Nationals and opted to sit out the 2006 season.

"Now, I would accept an offer similar to that of the Nationals last year," said Sosa recently.

Sosa would give the Rangers a much-needed right-handed bat in the outfield. Three of Texas' current outfielders are left-handed hitters -- Brad Wilkerson, Kenny Lofton and Frank Catalanotto.

I have nothing to say to this. Nothing at all.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Please, is this a despreate measure to get people to see how much Sammy has shrunk since our last sights of Sammy. Come on Rangers, Dont make that mistake.

MLB ERA
    BF19- I dont know man, for the Rangers its a win win situation, they have nothing to lose but a 1/2 million in not garanteed money to Sosa. If Sosa hits 30+ HRs, and hits .270+ then its a bargain IMO.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If it was such a win-win situation, every team would be after that. This guy has nothing left. He hit .221 2 years ago...why should we believe he's any better unless he's back on the juice? This isn't going to last long at all.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Not only that, but if my memory serves me correctly, he was basically booed out of Wrigley and Chicago in general.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Sosa will never get the opportunity to hit 30 homers if he could even do it. He serves no purpose except to strike out and waste a roster spot for one of the young guys.

MLB ERA
    I wish I worked in a profession where 500K was considered chump change.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Amen!!! I agree!!!! Give it up Sammy!!!! Time to slip out of sight. Enjoy your retirement and all the money you have earned. If you want to play baseball, play it in the homeland!!! You have had your limelight, let someone else shine theirs now.

MLB ERA
    First of all how do you know he was juiced up? I ****ing hate you guys bring this shit up, you guys get so worked when I bring up the race card! Yeah he hit .212, he's a career .274 hitter, I'm sure he can hit that, plus playing in Texas would help also, its a hitter friendly park.

So paying someone 500k and IF he hits .270 25-30 hrs is not a win win situation?

MLB ERA
    We don't know he juiced up, but his sudden drop off that coincided with the roids issue coming into the limelight is pretty suspicious.

Don't take that as me saying he did juice up, just saying it makes him look suspicious.

MLB ERA
    Until Sosa admits to using them, than everything else is just rumors and unsupported opinions.

I always wanted to know what happened to him. It seemed like he just left the game all of a sudden. I don't blame him for leaving with all the heat that Mac was getting. He should just enjoy his retirement, I know I would.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Like Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro inquired about a comeback attempt with the Rangers. However, he was toled he wouldn't be a fit.
    The Rangers wanted a right-handed hitter, not another lefty. Palmeiro hasn't drawn any interest since saying a month and a half ago that he wanted to play again.
    Source: RotoWorld

Looks like Palmeiro is looking for a comeback but I don't think he should even try.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX
    Until Sosa admits to using them, than everything else is just rumors and unsupported opinions.
    The opinions are supported. Unfortunatly they're only supported by circumstantial evidence.

With Sosa, the circumstantial evidence is weaker than that of Bonds.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Its not like he just dropped off. He wanted a shit load of money to play and after his last year in Baltimore no one was going to pay him. He had a terrible year both offensively and defensively. If he is signed to a minor league deal, he won't get that much playing time unless he blets 10 homers this spring which is highly doubtful since he just now started working out. He would be a bench player at the most.

Rookie ERA
    Well hey, he was a baseball hero once upon a time, he did a lot for the game and a lot for the community. I hope he can finish his career on a high note.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast