• Non-first ballot Hall of Famer

15 46.88%
  • Not Hall of Famer

12 37.50%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: McGwire a HOFer?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Sorry but comparing Dave Kingman to McGwire holds zero weight. Reggie Jackson is the one you should compare and Jackson is in the HOF!

MESSAGE SENT TO ALL "SO-CALLED" 'ROID USERS!!! Is Bonds next? I think he should be prepeared to be denied also... Record or no record. I mean if the media is not going to put in Big Mac, then they will probably be even MORE HARSH on Bonds.
    Absolutely not because every baseball man knows that Bonds was a HOFer before 2000 when everyone thinks he started using steroids. Bonds was still going to be the only 500-500-500-500 guy plus he was a great fielder. Plus no other player has three MVPs and not be in the HOF.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    If you think he was crying in front of Congress b/c he used andro you just don't have a clue.
    I didn't know whatever you do in congress affects your baseball game? Interesting, because I did not hear McGwire say " Yeah I'm sorry I took roids" he didn't admit to anything.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Sorry but comparing Dave Kingman to McGwire holds zero weight. Reggie Jackson is the one you should compare and Jackson is in the HOF!

Absolutely not because every baseball man knows that Bonds was a HOFer before 2000 when everyone thinks he started using steroids. Bonds was still going to be the only 500-500-500-500 guy plus he was a great fielder. Plus no other player has three MVPs and not be in the HOF.
    Plus there is no scientific test that proves steriods help you hit HRs.
    And if you guys remember McGwire was a skinny dude and he did a rookie record 48-49 HRs, so we knew he had that potentional from the get go.

Rookie ERA
    I know that is didn't suprise me that Mark McGwire didn't get in the HOF this year. Since everyone is still talking about the whole problem. But there is always next year.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer

Jackson also has an amazing history of coming throuhg in clutch siotuations whereas Mcgwire does not. yes Reggie struck out alot like Kingman but like Kingman McGwire could hit HRs and do nothing else.

reggie also had over 2500 hits while McGwire had just over 1600, reggie won an MVP and 2 WS MVPs something mcGwire never did. Reggie had legendary moments, the only legendary moments Mcgwire had were chasing HR records thanks to performance enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    I didn't know whatever you do in congress affects your baseball game? Interesting, because I did not hear McGwire say " Yeah I'm sorry I took roids" he didn't admit to anything.
    so he broke down and cried b/c he hadn't used them? It would have been easy to say no if he hadn't used them but he couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    Plus there is no scientific test that proves steriods help you hit HRs.
    And if you guys remember McGwire was a skinny dude and he did a rookie record 48-49 HRs, so we knew he had that potentional from the get go.
    Again '87 was the juiced ball year, look at the HR #s up and down each league then check out the previous years and successive years. McGwire had reached 40 Hrs only one more time(42) before he got huge and started hitting 50 and 60 and 70 HRs comnsistently.

AAA ERA
    Yes when enough time has passed he will get in. But time once again will be the judge.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Kingman hit .230 something, McGwire hit .263 or os just like Reggie. Reggie was all or nothing too but like you said he hit the timely homeruns. Reggie also played a lot more tha=n McGwire explaing the hit differential. Kingman

MLB ERA
    Marc McGwire lost about 2 full seasons to injuries. Giving him 45 homers per year over those 2 seasons would bring his home run total to about 675. He was the fastest player (in games played) to 500 home runs and was the leader in his leagues many times. He was the most feared hitter of his generation. Was his ability chemically enhanced? It is tough for me to believe that steroids allow someone to hit a baseball more often. That ability comes naturally and McGwire had that ability.
    He will be enshrined eventually, as will Pete Rose (posthumously in this case, I'm sure).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345