View Poll Results: Larry Walker, Hall of Famer?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 20.00%
  • No

12 80.00%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Walker, hall of famer?

MLB ERA

Re: Larry Walker, hall of famer?

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Some people consider them shafted. The way I see it, you have to have one thing that sticks out (AT LEAST 1 thing). Whether it's 3000 hits, 500 HR, 300 wins, 3000 K's, etc. Larry Walker was a very good player. His home run numbers were good. His average was very good. His hits were good. But he is just not a HOF player. I think there are plenty of guys in who shouldn't be. I think you proved that. But just because he was a very good player doesn't mean he gets into the hall of fame. Because, you know what, you're right. It's a popularity contest. READ THAT AGAIN. It's the hall of FAME! Believe it or not, fame is one's widespread reputation. Larry Walker doesn't have what it takes to get in. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but it's true.
    this is true, a very valid point
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    Did you see me lay down the law? I AM THE LAWGIVER!
    Your girlfriend let you type that?
    Some people consider them shafted. The way I see it, you have to have one thing that sticks out (AT LEAST 1 thing). Whether it's 3000 hits, 500 HR, 300 wins, 3000 K's, etc. Larry Walker was a very good player. His home run numbers were good. His average was very good. His hits were good. But he is just not a HOF player. I think there are plenty of guys in who shouldn't be. I think you proved that. But just because he was a very good player doesn't mean he gets into the hall of fame. Because, you know what, you're right. It's a popularity contest. READ THAT AGAIN. It's the hall of FAME! Believe it or not, fame is one's widespread reputation. Larry Walker doesn't have what it takes to get in. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but it's true.
    We'll see...fact of the matter is, if it was about Fame, Pete Rose, Jose Canseco and all the Black Sox would be in. It's called the Hall of Fame, but it's called that because it's meant to honor the best players in baseball.

Walker was one of the Top few OFers in his time. Just because you can't reconcile that fact only means you're shortsighted...that's it.

And saying Yogi and Duke don't belong in is STUPID...of course they do...and so does Larry Walker.

MLB ERA

I'm not saying that he wasn't one of the best OF of his time. But Mark McGwire was one of the best 1B of his time. Should he get in?

I'm not saying Duke and Yogi don't belong in, but there are guys who don't. I'm not sure what got George Kell in, for example. I just think you have to realize that at this point, Larry Walker's stats are good but not great. He may get in in a weak year, but he is not a guy who you can say is a shoe in

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    No, it's a Toyota commercial reference, stupid

We'll see...fact of the matter is, if it was about Fame, Pete Rose, Jose Canseco and all the Black Sox would be in. It's called the Hall of Fame.
    No, then it would be called the Hall of INFAMY. There's a large difference

MLB ERA

I'm not saying that he wasn't one of the best OF of his time. But Mark McGwire was one of the best 1B of his time. Should he get in?
    If you knew what I thought, you wouldn't type this...of course McGwire belongs in, at the time, he wasn't breaking any rules...

If a spitballer from the dead ball era could be in (a guy who's career was made from something that was deemed to not be sporting) than McGwire should be in too.

I'm not saying Duke and Yogi don't belong in, but there are guys who don't. I'm not sure what got George Kell in, for example. I just think you have to realize that at this point, Larry Walker's stats are good but not great. He may get in in a weak year, but he is not a guy who you can say is a shoe in
    Duke and Yogi were two of my comparisons...Kell was a VC guy...and if you think Walker can get in, why didn't you vote yes? He's not a shoe in, but he stands a good chance...I'd say he gets 45% his first year...and he will get in.

MLB ERA

He may get in in a weak year, but he is not a guy who you can say is a shoe in
    He's not a shoe in, but he stands a good chance...I'd say he gets 45% his first year...and he will get in.
    guys, it's SHOO in. A shoe is something you wear on your foot, incase you didn't know. Get it right

MLB ERA

I voted no, because in an average year, I wouldn't put him in. If he gets a year where his competition is Julio Franco, Joe McEwing, and Sammy Sosa, then yes, he'll get in. But for the most part, no. The difference between McGwire and Walker is that McGwire had that one stat that forces you to say yes, despite his AVG being .263, and having only 1600 hits.

MLB ERA

No, it's a Toyota commercial reference, stupid

No, then it would be called the Hall of INFAMY. There's a large difference
    See, Fame and Infamy are the same thing...it's like displacement...the negative, or in, just denotes direction.
    guys, it's SHOO in. A shoe is something you wear on your foot, incase you didn't know. Get it right
    You would care about that

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

+ rep
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That would explain a lot
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Infamy and Fame are similar. However, they are definitely not the same thing.

MLB ERA

Saying he doesn't deserve to be in because of Coors is bullshit...so do Ted Williams and Babe Ruth not deserve to be in because they both had park aids also (Monster and Short Porch)...
    How did I miss this?...are we really comparing Larry Walker to TED WILLIAMS and BABE RUTH...arguably the 2 greatest hitters ever, and with little argument 2 of the top 5...

MLB ERA

The difference between McGwire and Walker is that McGwire had that one stat that forces you to say yes, despite his AVG being .263, and having only 1600 hits.
    Let's not bring McGwire into this, because if there was no steroids controversy surrounding him he'd be a first ballot Hall of Famer, and there's no chance otherwise. You give me one good reason Mark McGwire shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame on numbers only and you'd be wrong, by the numbers he would have been a first ballot guy easy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jesus, no wonder there's 400 plus posts since I was last on this morning. You all went hardcore with the Larry Walker thread. I'm surprised, I did not expect Walker to generate this much attention. But it looks like he's our first cut in the S3F o' Fame
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Next up: Bubba Crosby

...wanna get Dry REALLY riled up?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast