Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey traded to Pirates for Dave Williams

Dont trade Kearns Dano you nut.

DanO might be able to get something better for kearns, and i'd be wary about trading withing the division, but hendry has been all over kearns for a while and this seems like a pretty decent deal to me.

Nolasco could be a september call up if he has some success at AAA, and williams could step into the rotation maybe even as high as the 3rd starter and he's only 23. Williams over his major league career has given 38 HRs in 65 games over 383 innings. That's the type of guy that will really excell in GABP. If you aren't getting burned by HRs you have a much better chance.

A major league ready 23 year old starter and a solid AA SP prospect seems like it's probably about as good as it's going to get for kearns.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    I like Jerome Williams. Williams and Nolasco for Kearns is definitely a deal I could dig, since Williams could immediately step into the rotation and be one of the better starters on the team.

MLB ERA
    I'm getting at least some decent indication that the Reds could well make a move by either later this evening or at some point tomorrow.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

i just read hal's article today that said the red sox offered youk and arroyo for casey. I can't believe this is the case, it's too good to be true, but if it was AND the williams and nolasko deal was for real, the reds would have to pull the trigger on both.

We'd be getting 2 ML starters, the 23 yr old sothern league pitcher of the year, and a first baseman who'll put up around an .800 OPS - all for kearns and a first baseman who'll put up around an .800 OPS.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

"youk and arroyo for casey"

If they did that, and the Reds aren't picking up a nice portion of Casey's deal, someone dies. I don't know who, someone.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I would assume any deal involving Casey and talent in return (whether it's Youk and Arroyo or just one of the two) will have the Reds pick up a good portion of that contract.

But if such a deal could be accomplished where we send Casey and cash off for those two.... Dan O would get a Christmas card from me (seriously.) Sounds too good to be true though.

MLB ERA
    Ken Rosenthal reports the Reds/Pirates are close on a trade involving Casey to the Pirates for Dave Williams. I'm currently attempting to confirm this and find out any other possible details.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Williams is about the definition of a 5th starter. Nothing at all wows you and at best, he might post an ERA of around 4.50 like he did last season. If the Pirates take on the entire contract and we follow up by locking Dunn up, I can't complain too much. But then again, if we dump him and foolishly spend the money we just saved, I'll be pissed.

Check out these home and away splits... no wonder the Pirates want him out of Pittsburgh:
    (BA/OPS)
    HOME: .312 / .991 AWAY: .215 / .619

MLB ERA
    Hopefully he'll be as good on the "road" this season.

Seriously, if we lock up Dunn with the money, I'll like the deal a lot. Or perhaps we are already planning on doing that and will make a late push at Kevin Millwood.

MLB ERA
    If thats what we get for Casey.... Even at 8.5 mil hed be more valuable to this team than Williams. Williams is just like Hudson, Hancock, Bong, a couple guys in the pen, and some in the AAA rotation filler, at best, for most other teams that are competing for World Series.

If that is what we get for the Mayor O'Brien needs relieved of duties immediately because that type of deal does not improve the team and hurts it significantly. As always this is IMO.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Casey is getting older and had a bad year last year. His contract is huge. Williams will probably be our 3rd best starter right away.

Plus, this could well open up the possiblity of us locking up Dunn, adding a FA starter or getting a high-priced starter as part of another potential trade.

MLB ERA
    Casey for Williams is horrible. He's a fatass 26-year-old with average at best stuff, shaky control, not much stamina, and a penchant for giving up homers. He can't get lefties out despite being a lefty, and I really don't think he could claim a spot in our rotation. Horrible trade if it goes down.

MLB ERA
    Casey has been a below average first baseman over the last couple of years. Williams have been an average starting pitcher. Plus, we are adding 8.5 mil. to address other needs basically.

In other news(not sure if it's related to the Reds), the Cubs are apparently having an 8 PM EST press conference to announce a trade.

Getting rid of Casey for even a marginal pitcher is worth it. The reds save money, dump an average 1b...open a spot for Dunn and the 3 OF. Plus, of course they can use the money they are wasting on him to sign someone who might actually be worth the money. I have wanted Casey gone for years....the guy is simply massively overrated b/c he is a good guy. I dont care about good guys, I care about good players.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast