Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey traded to Pirates for Dave Williams

Getting rid of one of the worst first basemans in baseball who is making 8.5M is a good enough plan in itself.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Why was everyone so convinced the BOS deal would go through? There were several rumors that were mentioned other than that one.

It wasn't a convincing for me. It was just the best deal for us. I understand that we don't EVER get the best possible deal and thats how the business works. I just hope that DanO made the best move and right now I don't see it. It all depends on what he does with this extra 5 mil.

We have another unproven starter and our team is not better still. No reason to be happy over this. Again, something else better be in the works. And it better not have been a sale to get enough money to lock up Dunn either. Castellini, you want to win now? Secretly let it be known that we already had that covered.

MLB ERA
    I personally think Williams will be lucky to stay in the rotation all year. Seriously, this is a guy with almost no potential to improve. The deal makes absolutely no sense if we're paying any part of Casey's contract.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    I'm happy Casey is gone... Period!

I don't understand why everyone is crying over an overpaid doesn't care about winning first baseman who can't even hit 10 bombs out in a season playing in GAB?
    I am not upset over Casey gone but the fact that we're not really saving that much by doing so. And again, if Dan O comes out and says that trading Casey was neccessary to sign Dunn to a long term contract, I am fine with whatever with Casey. Casey is what he is, a GIDP machine who is among the lower tier of the 1B and happens to be an extremely nice guy.

I am just surprised that Littlefield got Dan O to help out with that much of the salary.

MLB ERA
    Casey is slow and has gotten worse and worse over the years. His VORP is not very good at all. To expect anything other than an average pitcher(Williams) for him isn't very realistic.

His BA doesn't matter since that shows nothing at all.

At least Williams is younger and we are getting a little over 5 mil. to spend on other things.

I don't like this deal as much as I did at first, but I don't think it's a BAD deal. It's OK and could be pretty good if we use the money smartly that we get from Casey being gone. That's the big key to this deal.

We need to let things play out.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    I personally think Williams will be lucky to stay in the rotation all year. Seriously, this is a guy with almost no potential to improve. The deal makes absolutely no sense if we're paying any part of Casey's contract.
    If he doesn't improve at all, he could wind up with an ERA over around 4.50 or somehwere in that neighborhood, which makes him about an average pitcher.

Casey has almost no potential to improve much either. It's even possible he could get worse.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Williams is a scary guy to get, since he'll only K about 2 guys every 3 innings (career rate) with a lot of flyballs and even with the nice road split, a lot of that was dependant on a difference in slugging which can't be helped by GAB.

Still, Arroyo isn't exactly better than Williams really, but Bronson has some pretty sick stuff and in 2004, he was arguably a Top 10 SP in the AL (9th in ERA+, 6th in WHIP, 8th in K/BB rate).

Still, when you finally trade the fan favorite...you kind of hope to get more than Williams.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Plus the fact its to a team that is in the division steams me ever more. Gah please new owners as your first move FIRE O'BRIEN.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I don't like this deal as much as I did at first, but I don't think it's a BAD deal. It's OK and could be pretty good if we use the money smartly that we get from Casey being gone. That's the big key to this deal.

We need to let things play out.
    Despite my negative outlook in regards to us sending cash with Casey... I agree with you for the most part. But using this extra cash "smartly" is where the problem lies.

MLB ERA
    Him being a fan favorite means nothing except to those who don't "get it." Casey simply hasn't been a very good player over the last couple of years...and I like him as much as anyone.

MLB ERA
    We won't get a 4.50 ERA out of him. His WHIP is ugly, his K/9 is ugly, his HR/9 is ugly, and he's got nothing in terms of plus pitches.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Plus the fact its to a team that is in the division steams me ever more. Gah please new owners as your first move FIRE O'BRIEN.
    I personally don't find giving divisional teams below average players a bad thing.

MLB ERA
    5 mil extra wont help get Dunn signed LTC. I'm sorry Dan O just got skewled by the Pirates and how often can we say that about anyone being skewled by the Pirates. This deal is worse than what we got for Paul O'Neil, Scott Williamson, Gabe White, or Todd Walker. AND WE DIDNT EVEN GET ANYTHING FOR WHITE I THINK.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    We won't get a 4.50 ERA out of him. His WHIP is ugly, his K/9 is ugly, his HR/9 is ugly, and he's got nothing in terms of plus pitches.
    He allowed fewer H/9 IP than any other starter on the Reds staff idd last year. The HR are a concern, but I could see an ERA in the 4.50-4.60 range or so.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    5 mil extra wont help get Dunn signed LTC. I'm sorry Dan O just got skewled by the Pirates and how often can we say that about anyone being skewled by the Pirates. This deal is worse than what we got for Paul O'Neil, Scott Williamson, Gabe White, or Todd Walker. AND WE DIDNT EVEN GET ANYTHING FOR WHITE I THINK.
    How do you figure it won't help get him signed? Any extra money could help with getting Dunn signed, as the team would have to pay him less "out of pocket" cash than they thought they would. If we use the money to help "afford" a FA starter, I wouldn't be very upset either. Perhaps they've been told they could have spend up to $5 mil. on a FA starter but now could get a $10 mil. starter because of the extra $5 mil. Or maybe they are going ot use the money in order to afford a pitcher in another trade who costs a decent amount of money? I'm going to wait and see what happens before I get too upset about this situation.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast