Thread: Could we get 2 awesome pitchers with one trade?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Could we get 2 awesome pitchers with one trade?

Adam Dunn is figured to make a hefty salary if/when he lands his LTC. What I gather is that the team signing Dunn and trading either Kearns or Pena for a pitcher is the most likely scenario. If that pitcher is worth anything, he will cost the Reds a lot more money than Kearns or Pena would. That means we have to pay for Dunn's LTC and a new pitcher's high dollar contract.

So what if we traded Dunn? The money used for his LTC could cover the pitcher we get in return for him. Or could come close. Then we still have the money we would have used on a new pitcher acquired after a Pena/Kearns deal. We could sign a FA pitcher in this sense for that would be money.

Rotation:
    Dunn Trade
    FA
    Harang
    Claussen
    Milton

We would still have a great outfield and powerful bats and we get two top of the rotation type pitchers. The question becomes, is Dunn worth two SP that could anchor the rotation?

MLB ERA
    Dunn's probably worth it, but nobody's got enough to give that up. We'd have to settle for, at best, a guy who can be an ace right now and a lower level prospect with ace potential.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Dunn for Roy Oswalt

Spend money to get Burnett. How'd that taste?
    rf28

MLB ERA
    unrealistic
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Not with the format that I have suggested. Probable? No because DanO is in the FO. But realistic? Absolutely. The Astros need some offense. Dunn loves Texas. Oswalt may not be available for a straight up swap, but we could put a package together with a few prospects for Oswalt. This would be a very hard trade to connect and that I would agree with. Because both of these players are the nucleus of their team. They are the franchise players on their respective teams. But they can also go to the next team and fit that same role while meeting the needs of those teams at the same time.

Imagine Oswalt and Burnett joining this team!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There is no way Oswalt is going anywhere from Houston. With the Rocket on the way out either this year or next year, Oswalt will be expected to lead that staff. The offers from Houston in regards to Dunn haven't even included their best prospects so I doubt we get their ace.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    That makes cut and dry sense. So Oswalt is definitely out of the scenario. But can this scenario still work?

MLB ERA
    The best hope in a Dunn trade is to acquire pitching prospects instead of proven arms. While delaying the benefit, it also maximizes the potential return on the deal.

You just won't get a Johan Santana for Adam Dunn.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

C you there
    MLB ERA
    i don't want to see kearns or dunn go