Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Breaking News: Randa traded to Padres

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Adding control with stuff is an awesome thing, one that us Reds fans experience in a small ratio with other teams. Either we have a pitcher who can locate it pretty well, except his stuff is average to sub-par, the coaches advise him to let the hitters 'hit their pitch' and we all know how that turns up.

OR.

We have a pitcher who has tremendous stuff, it's just a shame Jason LaRue can't consisently catch pitches above his head or in the dirt in addition to having MLB hitters swing for those type of pitchers.

Then we just got the guys who have nothing.

Chick impresses me despite the poor stats. He's young and seems to have a lot of the qualities you would want to see in a young pitcher. From everything I've read on him, I can see him ending up a very solid MLB #2, if not better, and a good finish in the minors will get the scouts all over him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Reds have traded 3B Joe Randa to the Padres for RHP Travis Chick and RHP Justin Germano. San Diego has been feeling the heat to do something to stop their current slide. They wanted/needed to shake things up. Having said that, they paid a pretty penny to change their mix.

The Reds did very well in this deal. Chick and Germano are pretty much opposites when it comes to their abilities, but both have talent. Chick is a power pitcher who is still learning how to pitch. His low-90s fastball is currently his best pitch. He's still looking to refine his change-up and slider. Chick has struggled at Double-A this season but when you consider he skipped over High-A and just turned 21-years-old, you can understand why. He projects to be a #3 starter in the majors or a power reliever.

Germano is a control righty who knows how to pitch. He uses his high-80s fastball to get ahead of hitters and then he looks to finish hitters off with his good curveball. He use the bender in any count. Since Germano's fastball is merely average, he doesn't project as highly as Chick. His ultimate major league role will probably be as a 5th starter/long reliever. There's a chance he could develop into an innings-eating 4th starter.
    http://www.ondeckbaseball.com/

MLB ERA
    I would be thrilled if they even ended up as a 3rd and 5th starter. We would be kept in most games with them on the mound, which is what the team needs if we keep the nucleus together.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Cheap young pitching will also allow us to keep together a soon to be expensive offense.

If we can have middle of the pack pitching, we can win with our bats. I really believe that.

MLB ERA
    I totally agree.

If we can keep Harang, get Claussen to return to form again, and add Germano/Chick over the next couple of years, we could have a decent rotation foundation. We still need to try to add/get a proven top of the rotation guy if we can, but I think we are in a lot better shape with these two guys now around. If we pull a couple more deals before the deadline that net pitching(without destroying the nucleus), we could be in pretty good shape.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I agree. I also think Dumatrait is a guy that could surprise us. I really like his makeup and his potential.

MLB ERA
    If Chick can translate to a number three starter, the Reds could have a solid staff in a few years. Bailey is a future ace, Harang is going to be a very solid two or three, and then we've got Chick, Germano, Gardner, Claussen, Wood, Dumatrait, Pauly, and if we're lucky, Howington or Gruler to make up the rest of the rotation, with a few in the pen.

just got back. saw this on tv saturday while watching tv in the motel. I couldnt wait to see who we got. nice deal. danO actually made a nice trade for once.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Welcome back bro. Enjoy your trip?

hell yea. lots of hot girls down there. plenty of partyin too.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I bet man. Miami is just flatout hot (in all aspects. lol)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Welcome back AD44!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456