Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News: Randa traded to Padres

MLB ERA
    The Reds only need average pitching to win with our offense. I think these guys could bring that, and sooner than later.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Really, ghettochild? I was thinking more along the lines of you taking whatever RotoWorld says and making it sound like it was your own brilliant analysis.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    Really, ghettochild? I was thinking more along the lines of you taking whatever RotoWorld says and making it sound like it was your own brilliant analysis.
    look at who he's got going against him.

homer bailey, richie garner, phil dumitrait, the lizard.

by the time this guy develops he won't be nothing than a middle rotation guy because he's got the likes of those guys ahead of him.

i'm not saying that he WILL be, but come on.

and as for geranamoooooooooooooooooooooo its pretty self-explanitory, he's either gunna end up a career AAAA player or a MR.

before you go off an take assumpsions look at the reality of shit.

goddamn
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Travis Chick - S - CIN

Reds acquired RHP Travis Chick and RHP Justin Germano from the Padres for third baseman Joe Randa.
    A nice haul for the Reds. Chick has been a disappointment this year, going 2-9 with a 5.27 ERA, 109 H and 92/40 K/BB in 97 1/3 IP for Double-A Mobile, but he just turned 21 last month and he throws 92-94 mph. He'll probably make his major league debut next year and he could develop into a No. 3 starter in 2007. Jul. 23 - 2:56 pm et

RHP Justin Germano was traded from the Padres to the Reds in a three-player deal.
    Germano, who made five starts for the Padres last year, was 7-6 with a 3.70 ERA, 111 H and 100/32 K/BB in 112 IP for Triple-A Portland. The Reds are assigning him to Triple-A for now, but expect him to make at least a few starts in the majors before season's end. His below average fastball leaves him with a limited ceiling, but he could still be a fifth starter or quality middle reliever. Jul. 23 - 2:53 pm et
    I got each of those directly from RotoWorld. I find it very hard to believe that your analysis would be the exact same thing they said regarding both prospects.

MLB ERA
    Oh, and for the record, Chick should develop well before all of those pitchers you mentioned. He's higher up in the organization than all of them, and his stuff is major-league ready.

MLB ERA
    This comes from the Portland minor league site about these guys:

"Padres Mortgaging Future to Try and Win Worst Division in Baseball
    Appears that the Padres are trading Justin Germano and Mobile starter Travis Chick to the Reds for 3rd baseman Joe Randa. In other words, they're trading the #4 and #7 prospects in the system - and 2 of their top 3 pitching prospects - for a 35-year old journeyman with a lifetime OPS of .765.

Are Sean Burroughs/Geoff Blum really that bad? Do you really want to give up 2 of your top young pitchers for a mediocre 3rd baseman?

And instead of moving Xavier Nady to 3rd base, they want to move him to 1st base, by trading the chronically injured Phil Nevin to Baltimore for the chronically fat Sidney Ponson. That's Sidney "6.04 ERA, league hitting .329 against you" Ponson. The Padres really must be sick of Phil Nevin."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Not surprisingly, EdE has been called up to take Randa's place on the roster.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Excellent trade! The bottom line is, we needed pitching prospects that should be able to help us out in the near future. Chick and Germano give us a few more pitchers to go along with:

Harang
    Claussen
    Hudson
    Bailey
    Wood
    Ramirez
    Gardner
    Pauly
    Dumatrait

The pitching in this organization has gotten better today. We dealt a stopgap that had a great season with the Reds this year. DanO put this together nicely and I really like this deal. Chick has had his problems this year though, so I hope he can get something worked out. Germano sounds like anothet Hudson/Hancock to me. But, that could easily amount to a good MRP. Another thing that we may need soon.

AAA ERA
    well i just wish randa good luck in SD> ...i know im a lil late on this but just learned of this trade by espn.....but hey well see joe this week in san diego again.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Lizard is not that good of a prospect ghetto. Gardner has looked off.The only one I would say for sure ranks ahead of him is Bailey without a doubt. And Dumatrait would be close to call. Chick gives us another high caliber prospect to go along with Bailey.

And like CRF mentioned, we just need average pitchers so if Germano can post around a 4.25 ERA, give or take a few, we should be good to go with a few of our pitchers. I love the return, it's much better than the rumored deal with the Twins involving Lohse and considering what Randa was, we couldn't of asked for much more IMO.

Kudos to Dan O!

(BTW, with the Nevin deal earlier, did anyone else predict this happening? I thought to myself right when I heard that the Padres will need a bat and I bet something is going down.)

MLB ERA
    I think Chick was rushed to AA this year. He just turned 21 last month. With his strikeout/BB ratio, he'll get better soon. I think the ratio in one of the above articles showed him as having a 4:1 + K/BB ratio at one point. Very, very impressive!

And Germano does sound like a 5th starter or MR, but I think he could keep us in games as a starter, which is certainly something we still need with Milton in the rotation.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    (BTW, with the Nevin deal earlier, did anyone else predict this happening? I thought to myself right when I heard that the Padres will need a bat and I bet something is going down.)
    Yup. I was thinking the same thing at the time.

And as someone mentioned elsewhere, this sounded a lot like a trade Brad Kullman might have played a large part in based on the way it was built.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    With Dan O suffering from rigor mortis from that offseason of failure, I am sure he is seeking advice more so than usual which is a good thing if indeed he is because you can trust Kullman will at least make a satisfactory deal if not better. But I still got to give Dan O credit. I am still 100% for getting rid of him, but he showed some brains on this one and I don't think we could of got a better return for a 35 year old experiencing a career year.

MLB ERA
    I give him credit too.

I am still stunned that he actually made a move that could turn out good and possibly even very good!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If Chick hits his ceiling and if Germano at least turns out to be a decent #5 (a cheap #5 pitcher is always nice, even for the bigger payroll teams) this will be one hell of a steal. Randa just won't be able to hit like he did in GAB at Petco.

Trade Casey and maybe a reliever or two, and call it an offseason Dan O. This offense will score runs if you keep the young nucleus together.

And say hello to our starting 3B Edwin Encarnacion!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast