Thread: Drew Stubbs, sooner rather than later?

Drew Stubbs, sooner rather than later?

Stubbs' line so far this season:
    AVG .348
    2B 9
    3B 3
    HR 1
    RBI 9
    BB 11
    OBP .425
    SLG .543
    OPS .968
    and a perfect 13 for 13 in steal attempts.

http://sarasota.reds.milb.com/milb/s...pbp&pid=453211

That looks pretty impressive, even if it is only through 24 games. He batted over .300 for the latter half of last season too I believe after making some key adjustments, which can add to his sample size. Last year at this time the center fielder in Sarasota was none other than Jay Bruce, who flew through the other two levels of the minor leagues. I'm not comparing Stubbs to Bruce by any means, but with Stubbs age I could see the organization pushing him a bit to advance. If he proves successful, could we catch a glance in September? We all know he is already good enough to take over from a defensive standpoint. It is early to be jumping to conclusions, and his strike outs (27) are a bit distracting I will admit. But an outfield combo of Stubbs and Bruce are what dreams are made of. Thoughts?

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Re: Drew Stubbs, sooner rather than later?

i find people, especially GM's and managers, really jump the gun with hot streaks by minor league players. if this guy was supposed to be there a little longer, let him stay there a little longer. that way you don't kill his momentum of the kid's good hitting, and you also find out of it's just a hot streak and it ends, or if it is actually becoming something and it continues. i don't know, i just feel like people call up young guys too early and they struggle in the majors.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He's only in single A. Let's see what he can do in double and triple A.
    rf28

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    i find people, especially GM's and managers, really jump the gun with hot streaks by minor league players. if this guy was supposed to be there a little longer, let him stay there a little longer. that way you don't kill his momentum of the kid's good hitting, and you also find out of it's just a hot streak and it ends, or if it is actually becoming something and it continues. i don't know, i just feel like people call up young guys too early and they struggle in the majors.
    The problem is he isn't young. He is 24 and 2 years out of college, so being in A ball is a bit behind for someone with his prior experience.

GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    The problem is he isn't young. He is 24 and 2 years out of college, so being in A ball is a bit behind for someone with his prior experience.
    i didn't mean rushing him by age. i meant rushing him through the minors. guys that fly through the minors hardly ever do really well. joba's the only real example i can think of. other guys handle the transition between A, AA, and AAA, and then just can't adjust to the majors, no matter how old they are. guys take a hot streak and instantly promote them. they need time.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Until Stubbs makes a major correction to reduce his strikeouts and sustain an average somewhere around .250 in the majors, you won't see him advance that quickly. Think Mike Cameron.

Ya, the strike outs are what I think is really holding him back in the organization right now. That has always been his one big flaw, only time will tell if he can make the adjustments.

GET NOTICED.

AAA ERA

yeah, i mean lets see if he is in AA by the end of the season.. how he is doing..

UPDATE:

Stubbs line in 26 games at AA:

.315 avg .400 obp 8 2B, no hrs.
    Still had 21 ks, the only real worrisome stat. Apparently though they think he has figured it out and have promoted him to AAA. The line from his first game at Louisville:
    2-4 1 HR, 1 2B

Despite the odds to start the season, it looks like this may actually reach fruition if he can keep up on offense. I'd be very excited to see him in Cincy by the end of the year, and give us two things that we desperately need: A top defensive CF and possibly a leadoff hitter. I'd also like to see them move Valakia, as he has been putting up great numbers all year at Chattanooga and still hasn't gotten the call up.

GET NOTICED.

Alto Queso
    Rookie ERA

Mike Cameron wouldnt be that bad Too many people think of prospects as stars when reality prospects are those that can make an impact at the major league level.
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...Doro9/reds.jpg

"Don't cry, we're grilling JTM with Chris Welsh after the game."