Thread: For some reason, most Reds fans I know think trading Dunn would be great.

MLB ERA

For some reason, most Reds fans I know think trading Dunn would be great.

And since this is one of the most active Reds forums on the board, and has more intelligent Reds fans than most other boards, I figured I'd see if anyone here can possibly agree to this.

If you believe this, could you please justify it? I can not see any way in which trading someone as offensively incredible as Dunn could possibly be a good move, unless in return they get one of the top 10 pitchers in the league.

AAA ERA
    no what you said seems to be the general consensus among us, it would be stupid unless we got an absolute stud pitcher for him, and not an old fart either.

How about Dunn for D.Willis.. or Mark Prior...

Most people look at Dunn and see alot of strikeouts and want him gone. Most of them aren't huge fans and don't look deep into the numbers. Showing how high his OBP is, how high all his other stats are. And they are force fed by the media that that he is horrible because he strikes out and doesn't have a sac fly.

Dunn is the best player on this team.

i will say that i don't want Dunn to be traded, but i think his value to the team is somewhere in between where the purist batting average guys put it and the sabermatricians put it. The batting average people will say that he doesn't hit, and that he k's too much and should be delt because we could get something good for his HRs. The sabermatricians will tell you that he's one of the top bats in the game because of his high OPS and should be considered the franchise player.

I lean more towards the latter, but i think at some point you have to understand that all numbers have their place, and that OPS doesn't tell the whole story. Dunn is a guy that has always had a high OPS and never produces like one of the elite bats in terms of runs scored or rbis. Yes he had a hundred of each last year, but a lot of good players did also. With his power and OPS he should be producing more than that, and the k's certainly hurt his chances to do that. I mean, a guy with 46 HR's and just over 100 rbi? what is he doing the rest of the time?

The thing about dunn IMO, is that he is still very young, and he has shown signs of hitting for a better average and being more prouctive, so we can assume that he'll get better. If he could hit .280, keep the walks and power, and k 130 times a year instead of 200 he would really be one of the top few guys in the game, and i think he can do that eventually.

I wouldn't trade him for just a good young pitcher either. Good bats play every game and they get hurt a lot less than good young starters, who only play 35 times a year, if that. Dunn for Willis? I say no.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    "What is he doing the rest of the time?"

Sitting around wondering why the hell none of the Reds ahead of him can get on base.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033
    no what you said seems to be the general consensus among us, it would be stupid unless we got an absolute stud pitcher for him, and not an old fart either.

How about Dunn for D.Willis.. or Mark Prior...
    i think id do that...after all we do have 4 great outfielders and no pitching...but i wouldnt trade dunn for any thing else.

MLB ERA
    Depending on what we get in return is what side you see me on. Right now he would give the best return in any deal, if we get an AJ Burnett, Dontrell Willis, or another young ace already established then I would be for it, otherwise dont even bother.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Yes it would have to be for a Prior,Willis type SP.And even then they would have to throw in a good minor league SP prospect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy
    Yes it would have to be for a Prior,Willis type SP.And even then they would have to throw in a good minor league SP prospect as well.
    i would like to see a prospect as well, maybe not top teir, and maybe not an SP, but more than just a pitcher.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

I would take Willis. I don't know about Burnett, he seems a little injury prone. I would also like a Carlos Zambrano. LOVE to have him.

MLB ERA
    i would trade dunn out of the div so we don't have to face him every 2 weeks

//edit if he did end up getting traded, which i'm hoping not
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    I don't want him traded unless we got an ace and a number two pitcher in return. An ace is an ace, but would only pitch in a limited number of games throughout a season. Dunn has turned into one of the better players in the game, and is in the lineup for almost every game.

I am scared to see what O'Brien might get for him in a trade within the next month or two.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    Dunn is one of my favorite players. so i dont want him to leave. i think over time the K's will decrease but he is a huge part of our offense. i def think that he is a keeper. Now if we can deal away Pena for some youth pitching that would work too b.c we really dont need pena and i just seem him as Dunn 2 and we dont need more than that. Power is explosive but still would like to see what we can get for that kid.

MLB ERA
    There are probably a few worse players the Reds should trade before they move their singularly offensive force.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.