Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade interests for Dunn

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Trade interests for Dunn

per MLB trade rumors:

Rosenthal says the Padres are also eyeing Adam Dunn, for whom their pitchers' ballpark would present less of an obstacle. Two hitches: Dunn can become a free agent after this season if he's traded, and the Reds will ask for a lot. The Padres' best pitching prospect, Cesar Carrillo, recently had Tommy John surgery. Their best hitting prospect, Cedric Hunter, is trying to figure out Low A ball. Third baseman Chase Headley is hitting well in Double A, and I'm sure plenty of teams would like to have him. Headley is somewhat blocked by Kevin Kouzmanoff. Honestly, though, the Padres don't have much in the minors to trade. At the Major League level, they might be able to part with Cla Meredith and get a decent hitter in return.
    At first glance you think you have to go after Carillo. The guy tops out at 93 and already has a nice changeup and an excellent sinker. Yep, sinker!

But his stats for this season in AAA are horrible. Granted it is only 15.2 IP which is a very small sample size. But he is sporting an 8.62 ERA and a 2.30 WHIP. Ugly!

Not sure we would even have a need for Hunter. Why trade Dunn for another outfielder when we already have a surplus of talent coming up?

Headley makes little sense. Especially when we are likely to draft a 3B this year because there are so many projected to be available by the time the 15th pick comes around. (Dominguez and Ahrens to name a few.)

I just don't see a fit. But the Pads do have interest.

MLB ERA

Re: Pads interested in Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    But his stats for this season in AAA are horrible. Granted it is only 15.2 IP which is a very small sample size. But he is sporting an 8.62 ERA and a 2.30 WHIP. Ugly!
    Keep in mind he was pitching with a shoulder that needed Tommy John surgery shortly thereafter.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Pads interested in Dunn

Not trying to take a shot at Dunn here, but I don't think he is the answer for the Padres. He strikes out way too much and PETCO is harder statisically to hit HR's. I feel the Padres need a player more in the Lyle Overbay type or or mold of a player. Hits more for an average, has doubles/alley power, and makes better contact. I must admit, I love Prince Fielder in Milwaukee, but really miss Overbay bat in the line-up for just that reason. Overbay really came into his own in Milwaukee once he was given the opportunity to play regularly. If we were in the AL still, I would have loved it if the Brewers kept him and DH'ed Fielder. Plus Overbay is a better than average defensive firstbaseman.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Pads interested in Dunn

Oh yeah, I know the Padres dont need Overbay, they have Gonzalez, I was just using his model of a player for an example... He was just the first player that I thought of. If the Padres are looking for outfield help, maybe they can ask the Cubs for J. Jones or C. Floyd as a one year rental player. These two guys are good second half ballplayers. They seem to play much better baseball as summer rolls in and in the second half of the season. Just a suggestion again Padres fans.. Trying to think of potential possibilities for you and some players that may actually be attainable by other ball clubs.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If the Reds trade Dunn, they better go into full scale rebuild because the offense will suck with a capital S. Bruce is at least a year away (and even then, rookie production is questionable) and Votto as we all know can struggle initially with a level before tearing it up.

Then again, if Rosenthal rumors were all true, this team would look quite different.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

I want to make it clear that we really need to keep Dunn long-term. Otherwise our offense will be truly pathetic. Votto and Bruce are not replacements for Dunn at all. They are replacements for Hatteberg and Griffey. We have no replacement for Dunn in the system. If we trade Dunn we have to get a stud, power-hitting outfielder or first baseman in return or the trade will be a loser. Dunn has led the Reds in runs scored and RBIs every single year since 2004, so despite the strikeouts he has been our best offensive player by far.

If we do trade Dunn to San Diego I bet it will be Scott Linebrink that Krivsky will go after. Krivsky has an extensive history of overpaying for relief pitchers. Bray, Majewski, Cormier, and Stanton are a few examples in Krivsky's brief tenure.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Rumor is that Clay Hensley and a minor leaguer would be the return. That's nowhere near enough for Dunn IMO.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Rumor is that Clay Hensley and a minor leaguer would be the return. That's nowhere near enough for Dunn IMO.
    Who's that rumor from? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Padre fans have been suggesting Clay Hensley, Cla Meredith or Scott Linebrink, and a top prospect and I wasn't even sure if that would be enough.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Honestly, if Krivsky trades Dunn for anything less than a 1.000+ OPS potential player, I am in full support of firing him.

We do not need Hensley (and I don't even like the kid when he's going good, let alone when he pitches like rubish and has small injury after small injury.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Who's that rumor from? I'd do that in a heartbeat.
    .... as I taste the vomit in my mouth.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Honestly, if Krivsky trades Dunn for anything less than a 1.000+ OPS potential player, I am in full support of firing him.

We do not need Hensley (and I don't even like the kid when he's going good, let alone when he pitches like rubish and has small injury after small injury.)
    If the minor leaguer was Chase Headley you wouldn't have to call for firing him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    If the minor leaguer was Chase Headley you wouldn't have to call for firing him.
    Not a fan of Headley, he's an good prospect but he doesn't have team changing skills. His plate discipline and strikezone judgement is supposedly very nice and he should hit at a good average at the MLB level.... but at best from most reports I read, he has 15-20 homerun power and even then his power is questionable with how it will translate down the line.

The Reds simply do not need to be doing another brain retarding move such as trading quality for quantity again, even if the rumored quantity we would be getting back (again, rumored) isn't near as bad as what we actually received last year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Not a fan of Headley, he's an good prospect but he doesn't have team changing skills. His plate discipline and strikezone judgement is supposedly very nice and he should hit at a good average at the MLB level.... but at best from most reports I read, he has 15-20 homerun power and even then his power is questionable with how it will translate down the line.

Sounds exactly like a Krivsky player. As we move toward becoming the Twins, can't you see the disticnt likeness? Oh yeah, can he play defense?

The Padres probably have the worst minor league system in baseball, they didn't have a single Top 100 prospect coming into this year and their best pitching prospect is out for a year with TJS. Headley's doing great this year in the minors...but it's still the minors and it's out of line for his career.

Hensley has a lot of red flags for a young pitcher. Mediocre K rate, worse K/BB rate. His best quality is his GB percentage.

If all Krivsky can get for Dunn is Hensley and Headley (and that's just a rumor), he should be fired right now.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
    The Padres probably have the worst minor league system in baseball,
    That's changing, and rather quickly

Headley will be in the top 100 next year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast