Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trade interests for Dunn

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Trade interests for Dunn

You know what my biggest concern is? If we stay in this and Norris Hopper is believed to be a replacement for Dunn (which he seems to be) and we deal Dunn (or Griffey) for "need." It makes me sick just thinking about it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

per MLB trade rumors

A new trade rumor has surfaced, though Kevin Towers may have already shot it down.
    The report on San Diego radio (specifically XX Sportsradio 1090) was that the Padres could send southpaw reliever Justin Hampson as well as groundball artist Clay Hensley to the Reds for Adam Dunn. Kevin Towers described this rumor as "not worth chasing" to the San Diego Union Tribune's Tim Sullivan.
    Hampson is the only lefty in the Padres' pen, and he's allowed just two earned runs in 22.1 innings. However, his strikeout rate is quite low and his history isn't that impressive. The Padres insist they don't need a southpaw in the pen, but could easily bring up Royce Ring if they trade Hampson.
    After a breakout rookie season in '06, Hensley hasn't been able to get on track this year. He's been battered around in 12 starts split between the Padres and Triple A. He had a fine spring but blister and groin injuries surfaced and Hensley ended up losing his rotation spot to Justin Germano.
    Kevin Towers and Wayne Krivsky have matched up on a trade once before. In March of 2006, Towers sent catcher Dave Ross to the Reds for right-handed starter/former top prospect Bobby Basham.
    I also heard Gregg Doyle's little piece on a dude's email stating that he had a source mentioning the same thing. I for one would absolutely hate this deal. But feel like there isn't much to talk about here, its that ridiculous.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    You know what my biggest concern is? If we stay in this and Norris Hopper is believed to be a replacement for Dunn (which he seems to be) and we deal Dunn (or Griffey) for "need." It makes me sick just thinking about it.

I keep wishing Bruce would be ready for next season. But he is not. Hopper has a slightly worse BA. A far worse OBP and a worse SB% to boot. He is not even on the same radar as Dunn.

I am only worried about a legitimate stop gap for next season. Bruce should be good late next season or early 2009.

2008 OF:

Freel
    Hamilton
    Griffey
    Hopper

2009 OF:

Bruce
    Hamilton
    ???

AAA ERA

I really don't think you trade Dunn if you hope to compete this season, although i have been suprised before, I know he has the best value, but truthfully with how far out we are we won't gain enough ground after a trade no matter who we get.. if he is traded i will take it as a sign of us packing it in really.. ultimately i still see this team doing what we always do, start off so bad that we are out of it by the break, fire the manager, hire another minor league manager who turns us around to come close to .500 ball, and gets a fat contract which in turn sucks it up again next year..

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033 View Post
    I really don't think you trade Dunn if you hope to compete this season, although i have been suprised before, I know he has the best value, but truthfully with how far out we are we won't gain enough ground after a trade no matter who we get.. if he is traded i will take it as a sign of us packing it in really.. ultimately i still see this team doing what we always do, start off so bad that we are out of it by the break, fire the manager, hire another minor league manager who turns us around to come close to .500 ball, and gets a fat contract which in turn sucks it up again next year..
    You have to bear in mind that I wrote that on the 13th where being 8.5 or 9.5 back looked improbable, but not totally impossible. I still wouldn't past Krivsky that he trades Dunn for partial need. Trading your second best bat is not the way to stay in it, but I can see him sacrificing the level of prospects we get to get a solid reliever (and the word solid is used loosely.)

As for the process, bingo. Dent will replace Narron, do poorly, the ownership will cite the strides he made and the interim is now the long-term coach and rinse, wash, repeat. For a team that had Sweet Lou, Davey Johnson and Jack McKeon in the 90's... to go to guys like Boone, Miley and Narron is just pitiful. I will flip when we get a REAL manager.

AAA ERA

You have to bear in mind that I wrote that on the 13th where being 8.5 or 9.5 back looked improbable, but not totally impossible. I still wouldn't past Krivsky that he trades Dunn for partial need. Trading your second best bat is not the way to stay in it, but I can see him sacrificing the level of prospects we get to get a solid reliever (and the word solid is used loosely.)

As for the process, bingo. Dent will replace Narron, do poorly, the ownership will cite the strides he made and the interim is now the long-term coach and rinse, wash, repeat. For a team that had Sweet Lou, Davey Johnson and Jack McKeon in the 90's... to go to guys like Boone, Miley and Narron is just pitiful. I will flip when we get a REAL manager.
    #1..lol... well i have figured they have been done for about a month now.. even the most optomistic of me went out the window when we didn't go on a huge winning streak after Homer started.

#2.. glad to see i am not the only one who has noticed this trend of horrible managers that we have had.. if Wayne is serious about winning, i think he really needs to look at that spot more than any roster spot.. we were always told the reason we had cheap managers were because of our build for the future, well if the future is now.. where is the good manager..

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Historically, the Reds have had both some amazing managers and also the worst of the worst. Your only as good as the people up top and hiring the cheapest options, sometimes with a history of mediocrity or below is not going to get you anywhere with borderline competing talent (at least that's how I felt about this team.)

MLB ERA

The team has a poor manager and I think their advance scouts are awful too.

I pick up things at/watching games that it seems the advance scouts should be able to but don't.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234