Thread: Ask Hal: Don't miss the last question!

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Don't miss the last question!

Ask Hal on Baseball: Reds wearing out welcome with retirees

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

You have the questions, Hal McCoy has the answers. To submit questions about baseball, e-mail hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com. Sign up for Hal McCoy's Reds Connection and receive exclusive content not published in the paper or on the Web site.

QUESTION — A bunch of us Ohio retirees get together at Bud's Sports Bar in Boca Raton but are thinking of quitting because of the Reds' dismal record. We have come up with some ideas. How about scoring 18 runs a game, how about Zen meditation, how about bringing Marge Schott back? I'm from Ohio State and I say they should ram it down their throats, but they can't make it three yards down the basepaths without falling. — Rod, Boca Raton, Fla.

ANSWER — With this pitching staff, Eight is Not Enough, and 18 probably isn't, either. Pitcher Joe Valentine practices Zen and he is doing it in Louisville now. Mrs. Schott is dead, but so is the team. If she came back, I'd be on a diet because she would again revoke my dining room privileges, as she did several times. Three yards and a cloud of dust? I say try a few less fumbles.

Q — When the Reds are mired in a losing streak and are playing gosh-awful baseball, what do you do during the games? Read and answer e-mail, do the New York Times crossword puzzle, pull out a pair of binoculars and scan the crowd or nap? — Craig, Dayton

A — Sounds as if you've been scanning the press box. We take turns. One guy watches the game (sometimes), one guy naps, one guy uses the binoculars ... but all of us have to work the puzzle. It's too tough for one of us. We also drink coffee, do e-mails and moan a lot about how long the Reds take to lose a game.

Q — We can thank goodness we aren't Kansas City Royals fans because they are on pace to lose more games than the first-year New York Mets (120 losses). — RHC, Dayton

A — Have you checked the Reds' pace? Or pulse? The last three weeks they've averaged about one win a week. The Cincinnati Bengals wish they could do that.

Q — This Reds team is talented enough to win now, despite recent struggles. The team reminds me of the 2003 Florida Marlins team that started like the Reds, fired Jeff Torborg and hired Jack McKeon and won it all. Do you think a similar leadership change would help the Reds? — Mike, Dayton

A — Hey, the Reds had Jack McKeon and let him go, much to their demise. And compare the '03 Marlins pitching staff to the '05 Reds pitching staff. Yeah, see what I mean? The combination of Sparky Anderson and John McGraw couldn't win with the way the Reds are playing.

Q — Is Paul Wilson related to Jimmy Haynes? He sure pitches like him. — Parsin, Dayton

A — That's cold. Paul Wilson, on his worst day — which is often right now — is Roger Clemens compared with Jimmy Haynes. Somebody, though, should check Wilson's glove and shoes to see if they once belonged to Haynes.

Q — What will it take for the Reds to field a quality team? And we were told that would happen when they moved into new Great American Ball Park. — Cliff, Charlotte, N.C.

A — That promise was made by former general manager Jim Bowden, now making the same promise to Washington Nationals fans. What will it take to make it a quality team? How about Albert Pujols, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Dontrelle Willis, Eric Gagne, Pudge Rodriguez and Ichiro.

Q — I can understand Sean Casey being in a meeting with the manager and GM, but why Joe Randa, who has been a Red for only a month and is on a one-year contract? Why not your franchise player, Ken Griffey Jr.? — Michael, Dayton

A — Some of the writers wondered why we weren't included. We'd fill their ears. Marty Brennaman, too. And one veteran player who wasn't included, not Griffey, said, "They didn't invite me because they wouldn't like what I would tell them." Only the brass knows why Casey and Randa were selected and not Griffey or others. We all know, though, that talk is cheap. Do it on the field.

Q — With all the moaning and groaning going on with the Reds lately, why haven't I heard anything about the loss of Barry Larkin's leadership? — Craig, Dayton

A — Good point. Excellent point. If Larkin were still around (wasn't he better than Rich Aurilia?) they probably wouldn't have needed a summit meeting with Sean Casey and Joe Randa. Larkin would have taken care of things. There hasn't yet been a players-only meeting yet, either. If Larkin were around, there would have been at least one, probably more.

Q — I'm surprised people are writing off Rich Aurilia after only five weeks, especially after the huge year he had in 2001. — Bill, West Point, N.Y.

A — I'm not. That big year was four seasons ago, a baseball lifetime, and Aurilia didn't do well last year either. He is not producing — offensively or defensively — and if Felipe Lopez, who is doing well, is the shortstop of the future, he needs to play ... now. With Aurilia hurt, you'll see a lot of Lopez, and that's probably a good thing.

Q — Infielder Kevin Howard and outfielder Chris Denorfia are doing well at Class AA Chattanooga. Are they considered good prospects? — Gary, Dayton

A — At this point, not really. Denorfia is not on the 40-man roster, but played quite a bit during spring training. But if they keep up what they're doing, they have to be considered. Both are young and can develop. At this juncture, with the state of the team and the state of the farm system, anybody hitting .300 is worth more than a cursory glance.

Q — Why take out Aaron Harang when he had given up only one run and three hits in eight innings? — Mark, Bloomington, Ind.

A — That's the question du jour this week. The company line is that he had thrown 115 pitches. Big deal. Florida manager Jack McKeon and Chicago manager Dusty Baker consistently let their pitchers throw 130 pitches if they are doing well. You can't do much better than Harang did. If it's me, I let Harang start the ninth until he gets into trouble — and he showed no signs of trouble the entire game. It's real easy from the press box.

Q — It seems to me there needs to be a trade because the Reds lineup is unstable, too many guys who need to start, and the players seemed confused. Trading D'Angelo Jimenez would be helpful, something to free up this glut. — Michelle, Springboro

A — Poignant trades are difficult this time of year. Significant trades come at the deadline. Mr. Red for Mr. Met is about the best they could do, although I'd prefer The Phillie Phanatic. They wouldn't get much for Jimenez (Mr. Met?) right now, and that's assuming somebody wants him.

Q — If Adam Dunn hits 50 home runs this year, don't you think he'll demand more than what the Reds can or will pay? — Greg, Fairborn

A — If Dunn hits 50 home runs, they'll pay him — probably in UDF milkshakes or American Financial stock. Dunn is a keeper, a franchise foundation. Let's see Dunn get to 50 homers and see what happens.

Q — Going into the ninth inning, you probably have your story written, then comes the surprise turn-around ending and there goes your story. Right? — Bill, Villa Hills, Ky.

A — If I were paid by words written, I'd be a millionaire several times over and be retired on the Riviera. By rough estimate, I've written 5,000 Reds game stories in my career ... the ones that made the paper. You can add about 2,500 stories written on deadline that never made the paper because the games changed in late innings. If practice makes perfect, I'd be Mr. Perfect. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Q — Thought I would save you time and effort on your June 15 column and tell you what is going to happen. Here's the headline: "Wilson goes on Disabled List." — P.Z., Dayton

A — Might be before that, P.Z. There is suspicion that something is amiss with Paul Wilson's health. Pitching coach Don Gullett keeps asking and Wilson keeps saying he is fine. But that isn't the real Paul Wilson right now and the Reds have to hope pain or injury is the cause. If not, well, more than Houston has a problem.

Q — Do you think all the "team issues" that have popped up publicly recently will cause Dave Miley to get fired? — Evan, Cincinnati

A — Blaming Miley for what is happening is like blaming Joe Torre for what is happening to the New York Yankees. He can't hit and field for them. And don't blame pitching coach Don Gullett for the pitching miseries. He can show them and instruct them, but he can't pitch for them. Miley is criticized for juggling lineups and batting orders, but he is trying to find the magic mix. If he sent the same players out there and used the same lineup every day, he would be criticized for not playing this player or that player. He has 25 guys and they all have to do their part. Few are doing any part right now.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Q — Do you think all the "team issues" that have popped up publicly recently will cause Dave Miley to get fired? — Evan, Cincinnati

A — Blaming Miley for what is happening is like blaming Joe Torre for what is happening to the New York Yankees. He can't hit and field for them. And don't blame pitching coach Don Gullett for the pitching miseries. He can show them and instruct them, but he can't pitch for them. Miley is criticized for juggling lineups and batting orders, but he is trying to find the magic mix. If he sent the same players out there and used the same lineup every day, he would be criticized for not playing this player or that player. He has 25 guys and they all have to do their part. Few are doing any part right now.
    .................................................. .................................................. ................

Directly from part of my chats with him this past week
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30

.................................................. .................................................. ................

Directly from part of my chats with him this past week
    BUT that still doesn't explain making silly actions like sitting guys when they are Hot.. Freel, Lopez, Kearns and Pena early

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good job on that last question CRF! Keep doing that and give me the address so I can do it as well.

MLB ERA
    Hal's e-mail is hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hey thanks CRF. I will come up with a question for this week. Hopefully we will see it answered.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I could not get the question submitted. I had some errors and I will have to try and figure it out. I will try again later.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on that CRF! Pretty cool to be selected amongst all the questions Hal gets.

MLB ERA
    Yeah. The only one he'll include almost weekly is Dave from Centerville/??/Wherever, and that's only to make him look bad.