Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson To Long Relief?

Reds Wilson To Long Relief?

What's it going to take for the powers that be decide to put Paul Wilson in long relief? How bad does he have to pitch? This is problem #2 that I have with Dan O'Brien. Problem #1 is his lack of talent evaluation. #2 problem is that he compounds problem #1 by sticking with his mistakes for too long.

I understand Wilson is a hard worker and is a good influence on the younger pitchers. Why can't he be that influence in long relief?

Every outing Wilson is absolutely horrible. He gives up shot after shot. When he's lucky his fielders catch those shots. hat's the nature of baseball where even Hall of Fame hitters are retired 7 out of 10 times. But Wilson is not fooling anyone out there.

MLB ERA
    If he doesn't get put on the DL or sent to long relief after this latest poor performance, then I have to think O'Brien will never send him there. I would also think O'Brien is an even worse GM than I already do.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Exactly guys. Wilson has to go. Honestly, I loved this guy last year. But now it is hopeless when he is on the mound. He knows he is done and he should tell them what is up if he were the leader they say he is. It is not helping this team to try and get out of this funk when Wilson goes out to pitch every fifth day. I am not even sure that I would trust him in long relief. But that would be the best place for him now. I say if Claussen is healthy enough to get back for his next start, then put Ramirez in Wilson's spot. If not, have Ramirez pitch Claussen's game, then put Claussen in Wilson's spot.

Wilson should not start until he figures it out. if he starts again, I agree, DanO and Miley are a complete waste of management space. They are just guys getting paid to be there. Never will they be trusted to make the right move again.

AA ERA
    This is kinda of a wasted post but I agree with everything said here. I guess I should add that now they need to find out if Wilsons hurt. Get him to fess up.I would like to see someone like Kelly get called up and get a chance to start if Wilson is hurt.

MLB ERA
    I'm not ready to fry up O'Brien quite yet, because we are still in a semi rebuilding mode. We are starting to see the results of the new philosophy in doing deals and how we have been drafting.

We have Ryan Wagner via draft (when was the last time we developed a young arm who had anywhere near the success Wagner has), and Ramirez, Hancock, Claussen (granted not been as good as probably expected), Harang all acquired in various trades in recent time with many more from other deals that we are waiting a bit longer on like Bubba, Dumatrait, Bong, and others.

Mercker and Weber deals I agreed with at the time and still think they were good risks.

Weathers deal completely lost me as we already had a lot of questions going on with what to do with the "excess" of young pitchers at the time.

We all probably thought we could have done better than Milton for that kind of cash, but I dont think anyone predicted he would be as bad as he has this year.

We signed a solid ball player in Randa for a 1 yr deal, which was a very good investment and hes the best since arguably Aaron Boone at the hot corner, and Ive seen some argue best since Sabo.

Even the Aurilia deal was understandable once Machado was hurt and likely out for the year or close to it. We needed a backup, hopefully the time off has helped him and Miley realizes that Freel and Lopez are the future up the middle for this franchise.

I wouldnt rate him as completely clueless, nor would i rate him in Walt Jocketty range, when it comes to personel moves cause some have been poor decisions but we are still building from what we were left after Bowden left town.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AA ERA
    While I agree with most everything you say here Slyder, I disagree that this is a semi rebuilding mode. You dont spend that much cash on a Milton if you are looking to the future. Obviously management thought that this team could contend for the playoffs. Few have lived up to those expectations this year. Almost all are to blame for this start. I think the time is coming very soon to start looking to the future though.

MLB ERA
    I wish our rotation was this right now:
    Harang
    Ramirez
    Hudson
    Hancock
    Ortiz
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I feel exactly the same as you about all the moves of the offseason. What I was saying before is, if DanO and Miley do not move Wilson out of the rotation now, we will pay for it. I considered this to be Wilson's last straw, and he blew it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I wish our rotation was this right now:
    Harang
    Ramirez
    Hudson
    Hancock
    Ortiz
    I think we will see something like that come season's end. Thats if this does not turn around quickly.

AA ERA
    I cant say that I disagree with your assesment CRF, but where does Milton go? I agree with Wilson going to middle relief but I dont think the Reds are going to make Milton one of the top paid mid relief pitchers. Hes in the rotation unless hes hurt.

MLB ERA
    That's why I said I WISH that was our rotation.

Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    I'm not ready to fry up O'Brien quite yet, because we are still in a semi rebuilding mode. We are starting to see the results of the new philosophy in doing deals and how we have been drafting.

Mercker and Weber deals I agreed with at the time and still think they were good risks.

Weathers deal completely lost me as we already had a lot of questions going on with what to do with the "excess" of young pitchers at the time.

Even the Aurilia deal was understandable once Machado was hurt and likely out for the year or close to it. We needed a backup, hopefully the time off has helped him and Miley realizes that Freel and Lopez are the future up the middle for this franchise.

I wouldnt rate him as completely clueless, nor would i rate him in Walt Jocketty range, when it comes to personel moves cause some have been poor decisions but we are still building from what we were left after Bowden left town.
    Here's the problem. So O'Brien signs Wilson to anchor the rotation. Fine. But a quarter of the way into the season he's a human batting tee with an ERA of about 7. Do you leave him in there? No way!

Ditto for Weber and Aurilia. I'm fine with signing them. Neither is breaking the bank but when they show that they "haven't get it" then a good GM cuts bait. This GM has failed the cut bait test miserably.

AA ERA
    My bad CRF. I wouldnt mind seeing Keisler or Kelly get a shot at the rotation either.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I feel exactly the same as you about all the moves of the offseason. What I was saying before is, if DanO and Miley do not move Wilson out of the rotation now, we will pay for it. I considered this to be Wilson's last straw, and he blew it.

Here, here!

I agree totally. Let's watch this situation carefully. We'll know in 5 days whether O'Brien is a complete dunce

Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    My bad CRF. I wouldnt mind seeing Keisler or Kelly get a shot at the rotation either.
    We do need a LH or two in there. I think Milton can turn it around and I'm OK with giving Claussen some more starts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Koslowski in Cincinnati before the year's over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast