View Poll Results: Who will Win the N.L. Central?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cincinnati Reds

3 15.79%
  • Chicago Cubs

3 15.79%
  • Houston Astros

0 0%
  • Milwaukee Brewers

7 36.84%
  • Pittsburgh Pirates

0 0%
  • St. Louis Cardinals

6 31.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will Win the N.L. Central?

C you there
    MLB ERA

Who will Win the N.L. Central?

Lets see who will all come in here to vote

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I gotta say, I like the Brewers. If their young core can put it together and Sheets can stay healthy, that would be a dangerous mix. The potential is there, the question is just if they realize it.

It's a weak division so it could come down to again having three teams or so in the mix until the very end and having a mid-80 some game winner. I could see one of several teams (including the Reds) winning it based on the different variables of their team composition, but it just really depends on how it plays out as there is no truly overall strong team.

MLB ERA
    The obvious choice is the Cardinals.

They ended up as the best team in baseball last year and have some injured parts and the like returning this year.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I'm curious as to how the Cubs, Brewers and Reds voters reached their conclusions.

I just don't see the Cubs having enough. Soriano was a nice addition, but they still have plenty of other pitching health issues and some talent issues (particularly in the bullpen) and their lineup still has some holes.

The Brewers appear a bit overhyped to me. I could see them possibly competing this year, but I just don't think they have enough parts to mesh into a division winner.

And we all know the issues the Reds have. They didn't address the three and four spots in the rotation and still could use a power bullpen arm. Also, the lineup has some questions at the bottom and could have used another power hitter.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I went with the Cubs. But this is a wide open division in my opinion. I agree with mission that the Brewers did not meet the level of playing they were predicted to. But they are a year older and should exceed last year's standard. The Cubs are my choice though because they just got it done big time this off season. Their arms have never been healthy, but I think the new additions to the rotation will help some. As for the Cards, their rotation is worse than the Reds IMO. They do have the best player in baseball and one of the best pitchers, but they are getting old and injured in key areas and they will stumble because of it.

Pirates are the Pirates and they have a chance like anyone else, but I just wish the can define themselves sometime. That leaves the Stros who have added to their lackluster offense with Lee, but losing Clemens and Pettitte will take its toll.

Oh yeah, and Go Reds! They are the wild card and hopefully can surprise all of us this year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Do you really think the Cardinals have the depth to compete? I am not entirely aware of their minor leagues, but they do have injury prone players and even losing a guy like Weaver has to hurt them considering his influence in some of those playoff games. I am not saying they won't be in the mix (or even win it), but with a pretty tame offseason, it's one of the few times I am willing not to guarantee the champs the division. If Rolen is healthy and Mulder comes back to form, it could be a different story of course (with their win total) so I guess I can see how you could pick them.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    The Brewers appear a bit overhyped to me. I could see them possibly competing this year, but I just don't think they have enough parts to mesh into a division winner.
    My assumption is that the wild wild wild... err, NL Central, will be yet again a wide open division that's up for the taking. If that is the case, I could easily see the Brewers taking it (as I could see about any other non-Pirate related team doing). The Brewers are a team I could see getting at the lowest, 80 wins, and the maximum of 90 wins which could be enough (depending on how healthy they are and how their young guys progress, but it could be changed with a major move.) And frankly, I want to root for the underdog. I am getting tired of the Cardinals, Astros and Cubs being the division winner and I think it would be great to see one of the usual dogs of the NL Central's past to claim victory. It's really anyone's game though.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I went with the Cubs. But this is a wide open division in my opinion. I agree with mission that the Brewers did not meet the level of playing they were predicted to. But they are a year older and should exceed last year's standard. The Cubs are my choice though because they just got it done big time this off season. Their arms have never been healthy, but I think the new additions to the rotation will help some. As for the Cards, their rotation is worse than the Reds IMO. They do have the best player in baseball and one of the best pitchers, but they are getting old and injured in key areas and they will stumble because of it.

Pirates are the Pirates and they have a chance like anyone else, but I just wish the can define themselves sometime. That leaves the Stros who have added to their lackluster offense with Lee, but losing Clemens and Pettitte will take its toll.

Oh yeah, and Go Reds! They are the wild card and hopefully can surprise all of us this year.

I really think the Cubs' offseason activity is significantly overrated. Sure they are a lot better than last year, but still not good enough. Adding Sweet Lou as manager is always a good thing, but they still have a very poor GM, IMO.

I think the Cards have a better rotation. They have some young talent such as Wainwright and Reyes to go with Carpenter and Mulder who could be much better this year. The Reds have Milton and Lohse...yikes.

Their bullpen has more power arms.

Their lineup has more clutch performers and we all know how clutch players such as Spiezio, Bennett, Molina, etc. etc. always seem to come to light for them. Sir Albert is so clutch he can carry the lineup by himself at times and we have to remember he had some injury issues last year (which the Reds took advantage of when they beat up on the Cards in St. Louis).

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Do you really think the Cardinals have the depth to compete? I am not entirely aware of their minor leagues, but they do have injury prone players and even losing a guy like Weaver has to hurt them considering his influence in some of those playoff games. I am not saying they won't be in the mix (or even win it), but with a pretty tame offseason, it's one of the few times I am willing not to guarantee the champs the division. If Rolen is healthy and Mulder comes back to form, it could be a different story of course (with their win total) so I guess I can see how you could pick them.
    Absolutely.

They always discover "peak" players who suddenly reach the top of that mountain when they play for the Cards, such as Spiezio.

They lose Weaver but add a seemingly healthy Mulder.

The rotation has some young talent such as Wainwright and Reyes to go along with Carpenter. They have the most feared hitter in the game and a solid bullpen that features some power arms.

I'm not saying they will win the division, but I think they very well could and are clearly the favorites because I think their "down" year last year was just a poor year, particularly when they were later proven as the best team in baseball when all was said and done.

I just don't think they have lost much and quite possibly added to the team that was proven as the best in baseball last year.

MLB ERA
    My assumption is that the wild wild wild... err, NL Central, will be yet again a wide open division that's up for the taking. If that is the case, I could easily see the Brewers taking it (as I could see about any other non-Pirate related team doing). The Brewers are a team I could see getting at the lowest, 80 wins, and the maximum of 90 wins which could be enough (depending on how healthy they are and how their young guys progress, but it could be changed with a major move.) And frankly, I want to root for the underdog. I am getting tired of the Cardinals, Astros and Cubs being the division winner and I think it would be great to see one of the usual dogs of the NL Central's past to claim victory. It's really anyone's game though.
    I think the Brewers will be a .500 team...maybe a little better, but I think the win total for the division winner will be higher this year than last year and I'm not sure their win total will cut it, even if they are better than last year.

I would like an underdog (namely the Reds) to win it too, but I'm just not so sure it's going to happen.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This is what is so exciting for the itch of Opening Day. Here we are talking about who will be the best choice as the winner for the division. I think a lot of your points are valid CRF as are everyone else's.

To be honest, I don't really like talking down about the Reds and in times like these you have to. I hate to give credit to any divisional rival, but when it is due, it is due. I think once the season starts, we should get a feel for the direction each team is going. Hopefully the Reds will be on top!

AAA ERA
    I gotta say, I like the Brewers. If their young core can put it together and Sheets can stay healthy, that would be a dangerous mix. The potential is there, the question is just if they realize it.

It's a weak division so it could come down to again having three teams or so in the mix until the very end and having a mid-80 some game winner. I could see one of several teams (including the Reds) winning it based on the different variables of their team composition, but it just really depends on how it plays out as there is no truly overall strong team.
    I agree, with the addition of Suppan and another year of experience for a talented young club, they seem poised to make a move for the division. Bill Hall is also extremely underrated and they have the specs to make a big time move if they mind themselves one or two arms or bats short.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

AAA ERA
    I'm going with the Brewers this year. They have a strong team with Sheets, Cappy, Cordero, Jenkins, Hall, Fielder, and even Hardy back in the lineup. If they can stop the injuries from occuring as much as they have then they truely have a great shot.

MLB ERA
    I would say the Cards but I would like to see the Brewers take it this season.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I picked the Brewers as well...but I can't believe 7 people actually voted for it.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast