Thread: Cubs to offer Furcal?

AA ERA

Cubs to offer Furcal?

The Cubs are planning to make a four-year, $36-million deal to Braves shortstop Rafael Furcal and to use rookie Ronny Cedeno at second base with Neifi Perez as backup for both, says the Arlington Daily Herald. (updated: 11/09/2005)

So this might work pretty well. Nefi would be an expensive backup, and Walker would play OF? But Furcal is a good SS. 9 Million though? Not usre if that's worth it.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Getting a leadoof man and a guy like Furcal would be worth that contract.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Getting a leadoof man and a guy like Furcal would be worth that contract.
    agreed. he would solve a lot of our problems in our offensive capabilities. i'm not even that concerned about his Dunston like arm (its a rocket, but does get a bit scattershot) since Derrek lee is a better defensive player than Grace was (who was very good himself, just not on par with Lee).

and offering him 9 mil would not break the bank with the increased budget.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

AA ERA
    That's true. Bringing the leadoff man part does increase his value, and with the way the market is going. Jeez. Salaries are too high, but I guess you gotta deal with it.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This would be a very big signing for the Cubs. The never stop impressing with their pickups. Furcal is just nasty. I think he would fit in with the Cubs nicely.

MLB ERA
    Furcal will sign for more than 9 million a year. He saw what Renteria and Cabrera made in 2004, and he has a better performance record.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Furcal will sign for more than 9 million a year. He saw what Renteria and Cabrera made in 2004, and he has a better performance record.
    i think the 36 million dollar deal will be a starting point for the cubs. rumblings around here are that they would be willing to go up to 40 or so. thats more than he would get from almost anyone else. certainly more than the braves will pay him.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    What do Furcal and Cubs fans have in common? They LOVE to get drunk

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    at least he wont have to drive if he lives anywhere around wrigley.

he cant be that horrible guy if bobby cox was willing to put up with him for 6 years. braves dont put up with crappy character guys for a prolonged period. he effed up, but he was like 24 when he did. who hasnt screwed up somehow at that age.

and as i said, if he lives within a mile radius of wrigley (where there are PLENTY of high priced buildings to live) he can just stagger anywhere.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Is it me or does calling someone a drunk with a username like "Love_That_Reefer" sounds a bit hypocritical? Anyway, on the Furcal signing. I hope the cubs get the Furcal deal done. I can't stand to see Nomar throw another ball into the visitors dugout.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    How is it hypocrital? Did I say I was against drinking? Everyone else got the joke so maybe that should tell you something.