Thread: Damon doesn't even get half what he supposedly wanted

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Damon doesn't even get half what he supposedly wanted

I heard 7 years @ $80 million or something crazy like that...well, Boston has offered a 3 year deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BOSTON -- Just a couple of days after publicly urging the Red Sox to present him with an offer, it appears Johnny Damon has gotten his wish.
    The Boston Globe reported on Thursday that the club submitted an initial offer to Damon worth somewhere from $27 to $30 million over three years.

Damon has said publicly numerous times that he is looking for a longer deal, perhaps five years or longer.

"I feel like with my body type, we can do it," Damon told MLB.com on Tuesday. "I'll play center field for the next four or five years and then move to left field and finish off my career."
    I wouldn't give him more than 3 years and if there were better out there I'd take that player instead.

Agreed. Damon's incredibly risky to give a 5-7 year deal with his history. In general, he's ranged from a slightly below average to slightly above average general hitter, and an average to above-average leadoff hitter. Over the past two years, he's been a good hitter, but there are stars (Pujols, Bonds, Clemens (sorry, kidding), Ortiz, Rodriguez, etc.), second-tier players (Wright, Matsui, etc.), and then there are third-tier players like Damon. CF with injury histories and at 32 years old do not get long term deals.

Much like every other team out there, going after Giles wouldn't be the worst idea or a stopgap in CF (like I suggested last year for SS and I suggested Polanco. Maybe I should have sent that to Theo).

I can't justify giving a player, who over his entire career has been a slightly above average hitter (and fielding/basepaths make him better than average), a big money deal.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    I can definitely see him staying with Sox and the Sox overpaying for him both due to Manny being traded (if he gets traded)...if they keep Manny, then I think they may let him go, but still...I can't see him playing for the Yankees and haven't really heard of any other teams being interested.

That's true as well. This reminds me a LOT of the Varitek situation. No other real suitors, the Sox would pay him best/most, and Sox ownership/front office overpays him. I figure they'll do it, and when he puts up a 280-350-400 line and is getting paid 10 million for the next 5 years, they'll regret it like they did in his first two years in Boston
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Is Boras his agent?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    It's not the size that really hurts, it's the length.

Just ask my ex-girlfriends.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

If Damon wants to stay with the Red Sox, he needs to give a "discount" the same way Ortiz and Trot did a couple of years back. The Red Sox are foolish if they overpay at all for him. He already said he wants to comeback, and there are alot better players available out there. If that pig Boras tries to other teams against the Sox, they should just end negotiations with him. I'd even be happier with Torii Hunter in center, we'd be without a leadoff hitter, but I think Hunter is an average player that could really excel in a strong lineup, like the Red Sox or Yankees, a lot like Bernie Williams has been. The Damon situation is nothing like Varitek last year. Varitek was the team leader, and an above average player in a position where there was no talent available. Damon is just a link in the chain that someone else can plug the gap.

MLB ERA
    http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=116269

DALLAS — The Red Sox and Johnny Damon still are involved in contract talks, but there were indications yesterday the Red Sox already have made their biggest jump in negotiations with the center fielder.

According to baseball sources, the Sox might not be prepared to move much from the four-year, $40 million offer currently being offered to Damon. Agent Scott Boras began the offseason by indicating Damon is seeking a seven-year contract, but reliable sources have indicated Damon actually is seeking a guaranteed five-year deal.

Whether that gap can be closed through the inclusion of an option year is unclear. A year ago, Boras began negotiations for Jason Varitek seeking a five-year deal for a reported $55 million before settling for a four-year, $40 million package that included no-trade protection.
    Sox have upped their offer to 4/$40 million, but seem to be firm about that being the max...sorry Boras

Rookie ERA
    So Damon wouldnt take a four year with a fifth year option.

MLB ERA
    http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=116648

No news on Damon

Lucchino said it was difficult to gauge when free-agent center fielder Johnny Damon would make a decision on whether or not to re-sign with the Red Sox.

The Sox are believed to have discussed three- and four-year proposals with Damon’s agent, Scott Boras. The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers and Baltimore Orioles are among the teams that have expressed interest in Damon. . . .

MLB ERA
    supposedly, the Yanks and Dodgers want him and the O's have dropped out.

Rookie ERA
    Well there is a rumor about the Sox trading Clement to the M's for Jeremy reed, so makes you wonder if their going to get a deal done.

MLB ERA
    I think the M's and Sox are both squeezing Boras. If the M's get Clement then Boras loses his top suitor for Kevin Millwood. If the Sox get Damon then Boras loses his top suitor for Damon.

Or maybe they're both looking for replacements.