Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoSox, Teixeira close to deal

AA ERA

Red Sox BoSox, Teixeira close to deal

The Boston Red Sox have taken strides toward completing a deal for first baseman Mark Teixeira, major league sources indicated on Thursday evening, to the point that team executives may have face-to-face negotiations with Teixeira's representative, Scott Boras, in the forthcoming hours
    Link
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: BoSox, Teixeira close to deal

WTF? I read on the internet that he signed overnight with the Orioles!

MLB ERA

Tex shouldn't sign with the Sox he should stay with the Angels.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AA ERA

I see no other reason why you would say that other than a potential personal bias. The Red Sox have won 2 World Series in the past 5 seasons and are likely going to pay him the most $$. The Red Sox have also owned the Angels in the playoffs the past few years. Not to mention he still will not be that far away from his family. All in all, if this deal is finalized, I say he came out a winner in just about every category of concern he had.

Not to mention the numbers he could put up in Fenway, I'm already drooling at the mere thought of it.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA

redsox.mlb.com

In an e-mail to members of the Boston media by Red Sox principal owner John Henry on Thursday night, he explained the club's position: "We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him. After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."

I'm surprised why Tex would take 10 yrs 200 million instead of 8 years 184 million, is there a "mystery" team we are not aware of? Or is this just negotiation strategy taken to the next level?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

AA ERA

I just read that on MLB.com. I have a feeling if the 10-year, $200 million figure is true it's going to be the Nationals. I don't see the Angels stretching themselves that far, although I'm not going to say that for certain.

Keep this in mind also, I believe this is the Red Sox front office trying to call Boras' bluff. You may end up seeing Boras' run back to the Red Sox with his tail tucked between his legs if the rumored 9-10 year deal doesn't exist. I'm very happy with the way the Red Sox handled this situation.

MLB ERA

If Tex signs with the Sox, this might be the best call of a Scott Boras bluff that an organization has ever done
    MSLSeattle0001

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Boston Red Sox owner John W. Henry came out of a meeting Thursday night with free agent Mark Teixeira and his agent, Scott Boras, all but declaring that Boston was out of the running for the switch-hitting first baseman.

“We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him,” Henry wrote in an e-mail. “After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor.”

It was a stunning turnabout after it appeared the Red Sox had become the leaders in the chase for the 28-year-old slugger. Henry, CEO Larry Lucchino and general manager Theo Epstein traveled to Dallas for the meeting.

The Red Sox had an eight-year offer on the table in excess of $160 million. Sources close to the negotiations said it was less than the $184 million reported by Boston WCVB sportscaster Mike Lynch, who first reported that the meeting would take place. Boras is seeking a 10-year, $200 million deal, but a Red Sox executive said earlier that would be “ridiculous.”

The Los Angeles Angels, Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals also have made offers to Teixeira, but to date none of those offers are believed to be for more than eight years. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman also met with Teixeira earlier this month, but that was before the Yankees committed more than $240 million to sign pitchers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, so it appears unlikely they would make a grab for Teixeira as well.

Boras also represents free-agent catcher Jason Varitek, the Red Sox captain who declined an offer of salary arbitration from the team. Boston has not made another offer to Varitek since, though the sides continue to talk. A third Boras client, free-agent pitcher Derek Lowe, also is of interest to the Red Sox, but they have not made him an offer and are expected to do so only if he drops his price. Lowe is believed to be seeking a five-year deal in the $75 million range.

Teixeira, who turns 29 on April 11, has averaged more than 30 home runs and 100 RBIs in his six big-league seasons, while posting a .919 OPS and playing Gold Glove-caliber defense. The Red Sox envision him as a middle-of-the-lineup presence to offset last July’s departure of Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers. If Teixeira signs with the Red Sox, they would move All-Star Kevin Youkilis from first to third base while looking to trade third baseman Mike Lowell, the 2007 World Series MVP.
    Henry says Red Sox out of running for Teixeira - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

MLB ERA

THANK YOU GOD. Just keep him off the freakin Red Sox
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Relax GF, this is probably a negotiation tactic, ala the Yankees saying that they wouldn't sign A-Rod, then A-Rod came back to the Yankees so don't get too excited yet
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

Just make him go back to the Angels, or by some grace of god Brian Cashman offers him a mega-deal (although I know the chances of that happening are 0.00000001%, I can still hope). Or even him going to the O's or the A's or something. But for god's sake not the Red Sox.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Relax GF, this is probably a negotiation tactic, ala the Yankees saying that they wouldn't sign A-Rod, then A-Rod came back to the Yankees so don't get too excited yet
    The problem there is that Arod and the Yankees ****ed up. No one else was going to pay him that kind of money and then the Yankees outbid themselves for his services.

The Angels can still match any team's offer out there is they choose to.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The problem there is that Arod and the Yankees ****ed up. No one else was going to pay him that kind of money and then the Yankees outbid themselves for his services.

The Angels can still match any team's offer out there is they choose to.
    You make it seem like Tex's #1 choice is to play in LA, if that was the case why aren't the Dodgers or any other California team in the hunt? It's cause Tex really wants to play closer to home, how close and how much he wants to win remains to be seen.
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, I make it sound as though the Angels really need this guy because they do. Saying they can match any offer isn;t saying Teixeira's first choice is LA. The Dodgers don't need him. They already have a first baseman who is under their control for years.

MLB ERA

Yes, and CC wanted to play close to home as well.

Now he's only a 42 hour drive away!

$$$ talks
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast