Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sox to boycott Japan trip?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Sox to boycott Japan trip?

The sense of international goodwill Major League Baseball was hoping to spread with the Boston Red Sox-Oakland Athletics trip to Japan has been threatened before the plane even leaves the tarmac.

At issue is whether the Red Sox coaches will be paid $40,000 each -- the same as each player will be getting -- for the Japan appearance, which includes two exhibition games as well as two games that will count in the standings.

According to the Boston Herald, the Red Sox will hold a players-only meeting Wednesday morning about the situation. The players are prepared to respond to Major League Baseball with an ultimatum -- if the coaches aren't paid, the Red Sox players will not get on the plane to go to Japan, the Herald reported.

The team -- and manager Terry Francona, in particular -- was incensed when it learned each coach would not be receiving the $40,000, a stipulation that was in the original agreement to go to Japan, the Herald reported.

Francona first found out there might be an issue two days ago, when he discovered Athletics coaches already knew they were not being paid. Francona told the Boston Globe that he has been trying to reach Major League Baseball officials for two days, to no avail.

He said he did not care about the money for himself, but for some of the coaches, $40,000 is two-fifths of a salary, a tidy bonus for an 18-day trip that also includes a coaching clinic and a visit to a U.S. Army base, the Globe reported.

The Red Sox were scheduled to have a send-off, with fans cheering them on as they board their buses for the airport following a 12:05 p.m. game against the Toronto Blue Jays at City of Palms Park.
    Good for them. Taking a standing against a bullshit ruling. Why wouldn't MLB pay the coaches? They should just let them get their bonuses and not make this into a troublesome thing when it doesn't need to be.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Sox to boycott Japan trip?

I agree completely, it's not like they are asking for private jets or 5 million bucks. It's only fair that the coaches get paid too.

MLB ERA

Agreed. Most of the coaches don't get paid NEARLY what the players do, and they still have to endure the time change, and all the hardships of a cross-country trip. Good for the players too, to stand up for their mentors.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Watch Bud Selig manage to screw up this situation. It's only a couple hundred thousand dollars. Pay the coaches. The negative publicity that he'll get, compounded with the bad relations with Japanese baseball would be much worse.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'm not aware of "hardships" of a free cross-country trip to Japan, so my message to Francona simply is "Get your ass on the ****ing plane."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I thought this was a classy move from the Red Sox. All for one or nothing at all. MLB tried to save some money and go back on their word and the players called them out on it.

Ya, good to see the players backing up the coaches. Although it sucks that it has to be on an issue such as this.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

I think this is a great move as stated above. But here's an interesting position a friend of mine took on the situation:
    Is this just a decoy as the Red Sox try to get their rotation out of the crapper?
    CONSPIRACY THEORY!
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

The Boston Red Sox will show up and play their games.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I think this is a great move as stated above. But here's an interesting position a friend of mine took on the situation:
    Is this just a decoy as the Red Sox try to get their rotation out of the crapper?
    CONSPIRACY THEORY!
    Why would this have anything to do with getting their rotation together? When they do get it together, its still better than the Yankees

Red Sox Re: Sox to boycott Japan trip?

The Red Sox went to bat for manager Terry Francona and the coaching staff on Wednesday, and in the end, they got a result satisfactory enough to avoid boycotting their Grapefruit League finale against the Toronto Blue Jays. A misunderstanding over whether the Red Sox's coaching, training and clubhouse staffs would receive stipends for making a trip to Tokyo got resolved about 40 minutes after the scheduled start of the game.
    "All the things I talked about prior to today about it being a quiet spring and just baseball, you can throw it right out the window," Francona said. "It was a long morning and a long day yesterday. We found out probably by accident that some of the communication was different than we anticipated. Because there's some parties that are in China, some are Japan, some are here, some are in New York, it was very difficult to communicate."
    Thanks to the matter being resolved between the Red Sox, Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, the team will depart for Tokyo as scheduled early Wednesday evening.
    "Everyone connected with the trip will be fairly compensated," said Rich Levin, senior vice president of public relations for Major League Baseball.
    "I want to make this real clear," Francona said. "This was not a case of players being greedy. This was a case of players uniting together. I think that's part of the reason we're good. There was no disrespect to baseball. We made sure the Blue Jays knew that. It was a very difficult position everybody felt we were in and it got resolved."
    The game against the Blue Jays wound up starting at 1:11 p.m. ET, one hour and four minutes later than scheduled. Daisuke Matsuzaka -- Boston's Opening Day starter -- ended up pitching a Minor League game instead of facing Toronto.
    It was a chaotic morning and early afternoon at City of Palms Park. The players became upset when they learned that Francona, the coaches and other uniformed members were not going to receive stipends -- worth approximately $40,000 -- for the upcoming trip to Tokyo. The players on both the Red Sox and A's are receiving that amount.
    Until Tuesday, Francona and the coaches were under the assumption that they were getting the same stipends as the players.
    When Francona informed the players that apparently was not the case, a players-only meeting was held in the clubhouse.
    Shortly after that, the Red Sox got on the phone with Major League Baseball and the Players Association and said that unless or until the matter was resolved, they would not play Wednesday and also threatened not to board the flight for Tokyo later in the day.
    "It was a misunderstanding," said Red Sox third baseman Mike Lowell. "I don't know who to lay blame on, but there has to be a way to resolve it."

News and features:
    Dispute resolved, Sox will go to Japan
    After months of planning, Sox head to Tokyo
    Youkilis thrust into spotlight as union rep
    Beckett hurls unexpected 'pen session
    Youkilis goes deep but Sox drop finale
    Delay shifts Dice-K to Minors game
    Multimedia:
    • Jason Varitek on dispute 400K
    Sox head to Japan gallery
    March 19 gallery
    March 15 gallery
    March 14 gallery
    March 13 gallery

Spring Training info:
    MLB.com coverage | Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

Red Sox player representative Kevin Youkilis and other players were in constant communication with Major League Baseball and the Players Association throughout the course of the morning until the matter was resolved.
    Red Sox president/CEO Larry Lucchino, general manager Theo Epstein and other club officials assisted the players on the matter, which Francona and Youkilis both said they appreciated.
    Francona also spoke to Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig twice via phone.
    "He was justifiably concerned about playing the game, which I completely understand," Francona said. "I've known him since I sat the bench in Milwaukee. He was very kind to me, is actually the way I would interpret it. Knowing that he has a lot of responsibilities and a full plate, he was very kind."
    Shortly before the regular scheduled start time, several Boston players came into the dugout, but there still wasn't a resolution.
    "We have to be prepared to take care of what was ultimately promised to our staff and to everybody else that's on the trip," Red Sox catcher and captain Jason Varitek said before the issue was resolved. "This isn't about us; this isn't about anything besides [the fact] that there's other people involved that are being forgotten about."
    Asked if the Red Sox would board the bus for the airport to leave for Japan on Wednesday without a resolution, Varitek said, "We will not."
    Early in the morning, the situation had cast a pall over the team's Spring Training getaway day.
    "What we want to do this morning is get excited about us playing a baseball game, and what I did was spend the morning apologizing to the coaches and being humiliated," Francona said. "That's all I know."
    If the game had wound up being canceled, the Boston players said that they were prepared to sign autographs for all of the fans on both foul lines. It never came to that.
    "These guys are outstanding guys, they're standup guys," Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills said of the players. "They do what's right. That's what makes them great ballplayers as well."
    Even the Blue Jays were touched by the lengths the Red Sox went to fight for their staff.
    "You don't expect to see that, but I was kind of glad it happened and I was kind of impressed with those guys," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons. "Not only are they a very talented team, they've got something special over there. That's a team. They stuck their necks out for the coaching staff -- those guys they admire and stand by --- and that helps us all. There's only two teams that can get away with that: Boston and New York. That's good to see."
    Youkilis spent time during the pregame hours discussing the situation with Vernon Wells, who is the player rep for Toronto. The Jays' players were understanding of the situation and didn't balk at the game starting later than scheduled.
    Red Sox right-hander Curt Schilling had made it clear how important the issue is to the players.
    "They're part of this team," Schilling said of Francona and the coaches. "They're as important as the players in our mind."
    Red Sox hitting coach Dave Magadan was touched by the support from the players.
    "To see how the players backed us and how they feel about the work that we do, that meant a lot," Magadan said. "It means a lot. Sometimes we feel like you can have a thankless job, but when things like that are done, you really appreciate and get a feeling for how the players feel about us."
    Francona said it was his understanding that the managers and coaching staffs of the Yankees and Rays received stipends for their season-opening trip to Tokyo in 2004.
    To Francona, the matter was a lot more about the coaches than himself.
    "For a coach, this is, in some cases, two-fifths of their salary for the year," Francona said. "This is a big deal. I don't agree that coaches are second-class citizens. That has never sat well with me, ever."
    Francona was the bench coach for the A's in 2003 when they were scheduled to go to Japan, only to have that journey canceled because of the war in Iraq. In that instance, Francona said that the manager and all the coaches were set to get stipends.
    Managers and coaches aren't members of the Players Association.
    "The coaches never have leverage," said Schilling. "In all the years I've been in baseball, they're the guys usually taken advantage of in situations like this. In this locker room, they're as much a part of this team as the guys on the field."
    In this case, the Red Sox's players, to a man, made sure their coaches got taken care of.

The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Red Sox stipend dispute resolved
    The trip will go on after all.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

hypocritical and selfish...they didn't give a damn when it was rumored that the A's players were going to get less pay than the Red Sox players, but when it's their coaches they say something. EVERYONE should be getting paid the same...not just the Red Sox. Thankfully, that is the case. I just wish they cared when it was the team being dragged over there to play them.

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

^^ They A's should care about the A's.

赤い硫素化合物は日本で着く

The BoSox Blog » Blog Archive » Sox Make It To Japan

After more than 15 hours in the air, the Red Sox have found their way to Tokyo. The team was well received at the airport with Daisuke obviously getting the loudest ovation.

A reported by RedSox.com, Boston took 28 players them to Japan, three also coming, but will be inactive for series. The 28 man roster is made up of 13 pitchers: David Aardsma, Clay Buchholz, Bryan Corey, Manny Delcarmen, Jon Lester, Javier Lopez, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hideki Okajima, Jonathan Papelbon, Kyle Snyder, Julian Tavarez, Mike Timlin and Tim Wakefield, three catchers: Jason Varitek, Kevin Cash and Dusty Brown, eight infielders: Sean Casey, Alex Cora, Mike Lowell, Jed Lowrie, Julio Lugo, David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis, and six outfielders: Coco Crisp, J.D. Drew, Jacoby Ellsbury, Bobby Kielty, Brandon Moss and Manny Ramirez.

Next up for the team is having a workout at Tokyo Dome on Friday, followed by Saturday and Sunday exhibition games against the Hanshin Tigers and Yomiuri Giants. The BIG games on this trip take place Tuesday and Wednesday of next week (March 25-26), when the 2008 Major League Baseball season starts up with the Red Sox and Oakland Athletics getting after it.

With all the nonsense of the “boycott” (which was NEVER going to happen) out of the way, I’m just ecstatic that regular season baseball is almost here. Even if I’ll have to wait until I get home from work to watch it.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

they're all players and it's a union. in that situation they should all get paid the same and as union workers they should care. clearly, you've never been part of a union.

MLB ERA

Well its like an employee from Southwest Airlines(who are Union) and America West Airlines(who are union aswell). Both of those companies employees dont give a rats ass about the other companies employees, and what they make, dispite the fact they belong to the same union.

And if the A's were/are that concerned about not making the same as the Boston, A's should have boycott as well. And what how do we know that Boston knows that Oakland are making less? As .406 stated Oakland should worry about themselves, as Boston did the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast