View Poll Results: Which Team Had The Worst Offseason?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Minnesota Twins

0 0%
  • St. Louis Cardinals

2 13.33%
  • Pittsburgh Pirates

0 0%
  • LA Angels

0 0%
  • Milwaukee Brewers

7 46.67%
  • Toronto Blue Jays

2 13.33%
  • Arizone Diamondbacks

0 0%
  • Seattle Mariners

0 0%
  • Chicago White Sox

0 0%
  • Cincinnati Reds

1 6.67%
  • San Diego Padres

2 13.33%
  • Other

1 6.67%

Thread: Who Had The Worst Offseason?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB Who Had The Worst Offseason?

Who do you think had the worst offseason? Was it the Angels who missed out on Sabathia and let Teixiera go to the Yankees? Was it the Cards who did practically nothing to better themselves after a winning season? Same for the Astros, Twins and Brewers? The Pirates for refusing to spend again? Who do you think was the worst? Please vote and explain your answer.

MLB ERA

Re: Who Had The Worst Offseason?

I voted the Padres simply because I think the whole Peavy situation was totally mishandled, and can really rip apart a team. If you are a player on that team, and you're not sure a) what direction your management wants to head in, and b) whether they still want the best player on the team, it's just really confusing and kind of deflating. And if you're Jake Peavy, who is one of the only things about that team that puts butts in the seats at the moment, you aren't sure if the team wants you. Again, deflating. It's just not a good situation all around. They either should have kept that stuff VERY quiet (which is possible), or make a definite decision on whether you want to trade him or not. And they were way to wishy-washy
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Jose Canseco injected me Buckcheeks's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Other.

Astros.
    LeagueTeamGM Recordcurrent seasondivisionWCLDSLCSWSYears active
    TBSLHouston Astros78-842011000002010-Present

MLB ERA

Cincinnati for the first time in many years had an opportunity to make a couple moves to improve and maybe compete in a division (arguably) in the worst shape that its been the last 5 years via FA, in a market tailor made for bargains for the lower level media markets, and most newspapers talking about how the Reds were going to be active going after a big bat.

They come up with is getting bit by Weathers agreeing to arbitration. Follow that up with their "big" acquistions are Ramon Hernandez, panicking and paying a sack of fast crap 6 mil over 2 years after being non tendered by one of the worst teams in the NL, and Arthur Rhodes a Loogy to replace our one solid long reliever...

Thats not even going into the opportunity of Duhhhsty to hang himself with former cub Jacque Jones competing for an OF spot (which I fully expect him to "win" regardless thx to Duhhhsty), a guy who couldnt hit the ball off unless it was on a tee, and some other projects.

While people are going after Pat Burrell for 8 mil, Dunn gets 10x2, our #1 priority at the Winter meetings was...

*wait for it*

*just a bit longer*

*are you annoyed yet*

Jerry Hairston, Jr.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

I say the Cards. Again, the NL Central isn't a great division, and they are only a couple of pieces away from being a very good team. As it stands, they could still compete for the division, but they are a hitter and a pitcher away from being real contenders. Orlando Hudson would've been a perfect fit for them, and they passed. Someone like Derek Lowe would've also been a great fit. So I pick the Cardinals because, with one or two strong moves, they could have had a very good team.

Also, I wonder why the Cubs aren't an option. They basically lost DeRosa, Wood, and Hill and replaced them with... Milton Bradley. Not the best winter, if you ask me. They are a worse team than they were last year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

There was an other option for any team I missed. I agree the Cubs will have a worse year and I had Milton Bradley as my worst offseason pick.

I too had the Cards because they now have an OFer playing second base, a position he has never played before and did not get a closer after having the most blown saves last year. The market was stacked full of closers and the Cards released Kennedy with no real backup plan and they let Miles go who was a very good bench role. Plus they failed to add anything around the best player in the game.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bcshorts View Post
    I say the Cards. Again, the NL Central isn't a great division, and they are only a couple of pieces away from being a very good team. As it stands, they could still compete for the division, but they are a hitter and a pitcher away from being real contenders. Orlando Hudson would've been a perfect fit for them, and they passed. Someone like Derek Lowe would've also been a great fit. So I pick the Cardinals because, with one or two strong moves, they could have had a very good team.

Also, I wonder why the Cubs aren't an option. They basically lost DeRosa, Wood, and Hill and replaced them with... Milton Bradley. Not the best winter, if you ask me. They are a worse team than they were last year.
    They even minus DeRosa are a strong team and not out of the Peavy sweepstakes, if they choose. Even if/when Bradley gets hurt then they still have options. They still have a stronger rotation to start the season (note I dont say on potential) than anyone in the division and no one has done jack to improve themselves (even the Reds). Granted their offseason wouldnt be ranked as good but its far from the worst when you consider no one in the central has done jack I'd put the Cubs far from the bottom.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Rookie ERA

I voted for the Brewers because they lost their two aces in Sabathia and Sheets (I know he's injured). It's not necessarily their fault, but it still was an atrocious off season. They went from a good, wild card team to a team that will likely win 75ish, in my opinion.

MLB ERA

I agree with the Brewers. They replaced Sabathia and Sheets with who? Braden Looper???

MLB ERA

And what did they get for Sabathia and Sheets combined... 1 2nd round pick, not the 4 1st rounders they were envisioning last summer
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rangers also had an awful offseason. Just thought I would throw that out there.