Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Nats Blurbs

Triple-A New Orleans' Larry Broadway followed up a five-RBI game on Saturday by going 3-for-4 with a home run and four RBI on Sunday.
    Broadway is hitting .339/.387/.544 with seven homers and 39 RBI in 48 games for the Zephyrs. With Nick Johnson signed for three years, Broadway can be considered one of the Nationals' best pieces of trade bait.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Looks like Soriano's proving me wrong about his lack of power in RFK.

Jose Vidro went 3-for-4 with a two-run double and three runs scored Friday in the Nationals' 10-4 defeat of the Brewers.
    Vidro denied earlier this week that he was having knee troubles. He may have convinced manager Frank Robinson tonight that he is healthy. Vidro had been hitless in his last 13 at-bats and 4-for-28. J

Jose Guillen (hamstring) has started running and could play in an extended spring training game on Monday or Tuesday.
    "The key is he gets the leg well this time," Manager Frank Robinson said. "Not 90 percent, 95 percent. No. We need 100 percent, even if it takes a little extra time." Guillen has been playing at less than 100 percent for most of this season.

Livan Hernandez recorded a victory despite yielding four runs in six innings against the Braves on Monday.
    Hernandez has now won four straight starts while posting quality starts in the previous three. He's lowered his ERA from 6.52 to 5.16 in his last five starts. He'll get the Phillies at RFK Stadium later this week, so he's fine to use in NL-only formats.

The Nationals selected 3B Chris Marrero with the 15th overall pick in the 2006 draft.
    Marrero was originally slotted towards the end of the first round, but several teams reportedly targeted him leading up to the draft. He goes to Washington, where Marrero will almost certainly move to the outfield or first base as long as Ryan Zimmerman is around.

MLB ERA
    and after Marrero they picked up Colten Williams, a 17 year old pitcher with a very good fastball but some bad other pitches.

Two high schoolers, though, I'm iffy of that, but I can't complain as it's a different route from what they've been taking, and that really hasn't worked out so far (except for Cordero and Zimmerman).

Looks like Marrero's already agreed to a move to the outfield, which is nice. Good sign of maturity and willingness to follow the team and not himself.

Willems was ridiculous in high school and he throws about 95+ MPH. Don't know much about him beyond that, but here's something I like - he signed a letter of intent with Miami, but instead of skipping out on that entirely, he's going to take online classes while playing pro.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    Triple-A New Orleans' Larry Broadway followed up a five-RBI game on Saturday by going 3-for-4 with a home run and four RBI on Sunday.
    Broadway is hitting .339/.387/.544 with seven homers and 39 RBI in 48 games for the Zephyrs. With Nick Johnson signed for three years, Broadway can be considered one of the Nationals' best pieces of trade bait.
    Broadway has some talent. I fell in love with him when I edited the rosters of MVP 05 to be realistic. I did the Nationals, got bored, and played with them. But the minors were so realistic, and a lot of my predictions were right. If Broadway doesn't make the roster out of spring training the Nats need to reevaluate.

MLB ERA
    Going to be tough for him to make it; he can't play the outfield and Nick Johnson is a far better hitter (And defender) than him at first. In all likelhood he'll be traded for a playoff run or traded to get yougner better prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Going to be tough for him to make it; he can't play the outfield and Nick Johnson is a far better hitter (And defender) than him at first. In all likelhood he'll be traded for a playoff run or traded to get yougner better prospects.
    But, do you trust him to stay healthy? Johnson always has at least one stint on the DL each year, and misses games here and there with little nicks. Broadway is a solid guy to have on the bench for that. Better yet, see if a sucker will take Nick Johnson in a trade. His injuries always come at the worst time, and to me, not worth the trouble in keeping him.

MLB ERA
    He played 131 games last year and has played 59 of the 59 team games this year. It's really not semeing to be an issue anymore.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Soriano hit yet another one making it 22 for the year!!

John Patterson (forearm) felt great a day after his first minor league rehab start.
    Patterson pitched Wednesday for Single-A Potomac. He will make a second minor league rehab start on Monday.

Nationals activated outfielder Jose Guillen from the 15-day disabled list.
    The Nationals will have to hope that he's really healthy this time. Guillen isn't starting today, but he should be back in right field for Sunday's game. His return will result in fewer at-bats for Marlon Anderson, Marlon Byrd, Daryle Ward and Damian Jackson.

MLB ERA
    Great news.

He looked good in his rehab assignments, and everyone else they were using sucks.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast