Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Nats Blurbs

MLB ERA
    Brandon Claussen (shoulder) said Monday that he's hoping to return in May.
    The Nationals have said they are looking for him around midseason. "They've kind of held me back a little bit, which I completely agree with," Claussen said. "That's their job. My job is to throw strikes. But I think that's a pretty realistic goal."

Manager Manny Acta said Monday that Cristian Guzman (shoulder) is scheduled to play the field for the first time on March 7.
    In an effort to keep his surgically repaired shoulder healthy, he'll work strictly as a designated hitter until then.

Travis Lee missed the Nationals' two intrasqaud games because of a stained left oblique.
    He's day-to-day. Lee is contending with Larry Broadway, Robert Fick and Dmitri Young to act as the primary first baseman while Nick Johnson is out.

The Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman are reportedly working on a multiyear contract.
    Zimmerman has yet to officially agree to terms for this season, in part because of the ongoing negotiations. He's not eligible for arbitration until after 2008, however, so it's unlikely that a contract would buy out any of his free agency years. It'd take a six-year deal for the Nationals to accomplish that.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Ryan Zimmerman had a two-run homer and an RBI single Friday against the Dodgers.
    It's hard to be optimistic about Zimmerman matching last year's total of 110 RBI while batting third behind Felipe Lopez and Cristian Guzman, but the 22-year-old could raise his OPS from last year's 822 mark. He also might turn some of those 47 doubles he had last year into additional home runs.

The Nationals will continue talks with Ryan Zimmerman regarding an extension on Sunday.
    The Washington Post believes the two sides could be using David Wright's six-year, $55 million contract with th e Mets as a bench mark. Zimmerman will be arbitration eligible after 2008 and a free agent after 2011.

Billy Traber threw 2 2/3 innings of shutout relief Saturday against the Orioles.
    He allowed three hits, walked none and struck out three. Traber is one of about a dozen candidates for the four openings in the Washington rotation. He probably wouldn't be a very good $1 pick if he gets one, but he would be worth keeping an eye on during April.

Joel Hanrahan was lit up for five runs in one-third of an inning by the Orioles on Saturday.
    Hanrahan was added to the Nationals' 40-man roster after agreeing to a minor league deal, but he's one of the longer shots to make the team's rotation this spring. He needs to head to Triple-A and try to work his way up from there.

John Patterson allowed one run and three hits in two innings Saturday in his start versus Baltimore.
    Patterson is healthy after July surgery to take care of a nerve problem in his forearm. Now he just needs to show he can stay that way. He was one of the NL's best pitchers in 2005 and could be again, but he's not a very good bet to last 200 innings.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Travis Lee, who has been sidelined with a right oblique strain, took batting practice on Friday and Saturday and didn't feel any pain.
    He hopes to be in the lineup on Monday or Tuesday.

Cristian Guzman went 0-for-3 on Sunday and is 0-for-5 as a designated hitter over the last two days.
    Guzman, still troubled by his surgically repaired throwing shoulder, is scheduled to play shortstop for the first time on Wednesday.

Matt Chico picked up a victory by allowing one hit over three scoreless innings Sunday against a Dodger split-squad.
    The lefty only had to face two regulars and both were left-handed hitters -- Juan Pierre and Andre Ethier. Still, it was a fine start for his chances of making the Nationals. It'd probably be for the best if he heads to Triple-A initially, but he should receive an opportunity at some point during the first half.

MLB ERA
    Nationals manager Manny Acta said he would like to put Nook Logan at the top of the batting order by the second half of the season.
    We've been hoping that Logan, like Brandon Watson before him, will be little more than a bad memory by the second half of the season. Still, the Nationals are already planning to hit Cristian Guzman second, so it's not like it'd matter much if he was moved into that spot now. The plan is for him to hit eighth initially.

The Nationals and Ryan Zimmerman talked contract Sunday, but it was a one-year deal, not the rumored multiyear pact, that was the primary subject of discussions.
    "We are just worried about the one-year now -- regular contract things like that," Zimmerman said. "We haven't done any specific stuff. Nothing bad is going on. There aren't any arguments. We had a good talk. Everything is good and positive. We are not going to decide on anything in one day." There have been rumors that Zimmerman would get a deal similar to the six-year, $55 million contract David Wright signed with the Mets last season.

MLB ERA
    Travis Lee, who has been sidelined with a strained right oblique, homered Monday in an intrasquad game.
    He should play in an exhibition game within the next couple of days.

Tim Redding, who was ineffective in Monday's exhibition game against the Braves, is struggling to master changes to his delivery recommended by pitching coach Randy St. Claire.
    That Redding is coming off successful seasons in Triple-A and in the Venezuelan Winter League made him look like a top candidate to be the Nationals' No. 2 starter. Still, the team has decided to have him try something different. "I got some things I'm trying to go through and change," Redding said. "I'm looking at film, having Randy look at me from the side. He said there are some things that I need to change. I'm trying to do some things mechanically that I'm not accustom to doing. I'm trying to change what he thinks is the benefit of my ability to be consistent. I had three or four bullpens and an intrasqaud game to work on it, so it's still rough and it needs to be ironed out."

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    That Redding is coming off successful seasons in Triple-A and in the Venezuelan Winter League made him look like a top candidate to be the Nationals' No. 2 starter.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    George Lombard suffered a sprained thumb ligament and will be sidelined for at least one week.
    X-rays were negative, but Lombard will reportedly be reexamined in 5-7 days.

Travis Lee had a two-run double and walked Tuesday in his first appearance of the spring.
    Lee, one of the candidates to fill in for Nick Johnson at first base, had been sidelined with a strained oblique.

Emiliano Fruto surrendered a pair of solo homers in 1 2/3 innings Tuesday against the Braves.
    Fruto has given up six runs in 2 1/3 innings to date. He has a promising future out of the pen, but it looks like he could be one of the Nationals' early cuts this spring.

MLB ERA
    D'Angelo Jimenez went 2-for-3 and got through a start at shortstop without committing any errors on Wednesday.
    Jimenez had made four errors through three games. He's 5-for-11 with a couple of walks at the plate, but it doesn't matter what he hits if he continues to mishandle every other ball sent his way.

Shawn Hill pitched three innings and allowed one run Wednesday in his start against the Astros.
    With the DH opening up a spot for Richard Hidalgo and Mark Loretta getting the nod at shortstop, Hill was facing a better lineup today than the Astros will use during the regular season. He's given up one run in five innings so far, strengthening his position in the competition for rotation spots.

Alex Escobar, who is making his way back from shoulder surgery, was unavailable to DH Wednesday because of left quad tightness.
    The Nationals like Escobar, but it's doubtful he'll ever stay healthy enough to emerge as a major contributor. He could begin the season on the DL.

MLB ERA
    Cristian Guzman (shoulder) played three innings at shortstop in a "B" game Wednesday.
    It was Guzman's first time in the field this spring, but he's scheduled to serve as the Nationals' designated hitter Thursday. Manager Manny Acta said that the team will "take it easy with him" by not playing Guzman defensively two days in a row.

Nationals reassigned OF George Lombard, INF Tony Blanco, INF Melvin Dorta, INF Jorge Toca, OF Wayne Lydon, RHP Felix Diaz, RHP Anastacio Martinez, RHP Eduardo Valdez, LHP Luis Martinez and LHP Bill White to minor league camp
    No real surprises here. Lombard could have stuck around longer if not for a thumb injury, but he had little chance of making the team. The pitchers are candidates to see time in the majors later this year, especially Diaz and White.

Nationals released infielder Tony Womack.
    Womack looked like a pretty good candidate to make the team before the Ronnie Belliard signing ruined his chances. He was 0-for-7 this spring.

Josh Wilson went 3-for-3 with a walk Thursday and is 5-for-12 with four base on balls this spring.
    If the Nationals decide they're better off without Cristian Guzman playing regularly, they'll probably just shift Felipe Lopez back to short and use Ronnie Belliard at second. However, Wilson is another viable option at shortstop. The soon-to-be 26-year-old hit 307/.376/.475 in 335 at-bats for Triple-A Colorado Springs last season. He qualifies as a deep, deep sleeper.

After relieving Jason Simontacchi, Jason Bergmann pitched three scoreless innings Thursday in the Nationals' win over the Astros.
    Simontacchi surrendered three runs in his four innings. Both pitchers are among the candidates for the openings in the Nationals' rotation, though they face longer odds than some of the others. We still believe Bergmann makes more sense in the billpen, but he wasn't very effective in either role last year, compiling a 6.46 ERA in six starts and a 6.88 ERA in 34 innings as a reliever. He's pitched five scoreless innings so far this spring.

Nationals optioned outfielder Frank Diaz to Triple-A Columbus and LHP Mike Hinckley to Double-A Harrisburg.
    Diaz would be a viable option in center for the Nats if he hits, but he was a big disappointment last year, batting .259/.296/.373 Harrisburg. Hinckley in a long shot to regain his former status as a top prospect.

MLB ERA
    Matt Chico was pounded for four runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Orioles on Friday.
    Chico pitched three scoreless innings against the Dodgers his first time out, but he wasn't facing anything close to their regular lineup. In today's game, he was facing every regular Oriole except the ailing Kevin Millar. As the quality of competition continues to improve, Chico will probably show that he belongs in Triple-A to begin the year.

Regardless of how the rest of the spring goes, Nationals manager Manny Acta said he's committed to beginning the season with an outfield of Ryan Church, Nook Logan and Austin Kearns.
    Logan's job seemed secure entering camp, but it was expected that Church would have to beat out Chris Snelling, Alex Escobar and maybe Kory Casto. Church has earned the assignment with his performance in his opportunities the last two years. However, it's still probably safe to assume the Nationals won't have a lot of patience with him if he gets off to a poor start. Snelling should be next in line for an opportunity.

Tim Redding was ineffective again Saturday, giving up four runs in two innings against the Mets.
    The changes Redding has made to his delivery aren't helping yet. His status as a favorite to occupy a spot in the Washington rotation is in jeopardy.

Jerome Williams limited the Mets to a solo homer over three innings in the Nationals' 7-6 win on Saturday.
    Jose Valentin hit the homer. Williams was rocked in his first start, so he needed this to stay in contention for a rotation spot. He struck out two and walked none.

MLB ERA
    News from the 11th of March.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Cristian Guzman, who hasn't played in the field in a Grapefruit League game because of a shoulder injury, could make his debut at shortstop on Wednesday.
    Guzman missed all of last season following surgery on his right shoulder. He played five innings in the field during Friday's minor league intrasquad game and went 0-for-3 against the Mets on Saturday as the DH. Following another minor league game, Guzman should play Wednesday against St. Louis in Jupiter.

Alex Escobar sat out for the fourth straight day with tightness in his quadriceps Saturday.
    Escobar did say that he felt ready to return. "I'm just waiting for them to tell me when I can go." He's been one of the most injury prone players in the game the past few years and could possibly even start this season on the shelf.

Colby Lewis was pounded for four runs in 2 1/3 innings of relief by the Dodgers on Sunday.
    Lewis had a similar outing his first time out. The former Ranger and Tiger entered camp in the mix for a rotation spot, but it looks like he'll begin the year in Triple-A.

MLB ERA
    News from the 12th of March.
    The Washington Post reports that Luis Ayala (elbow) may not be ready for Opening Day.
    Ayala is reportedly on schedule, but there's no timetable for him to throw in an official spring game. "He's going to have another simulated game, and we'll go from there," manager Manny Acta said. "Obviously, if he doesn't get to do that, then the chances of him heading up north are not as good."

Nationals reassigned LHP Chris Michalak and OF Darnell McDonald to minor league camp; optioned RHP Jermaine Van Buren and RHP Brett Campbell to Triple-A Columbus.
    We thought the 36-year-old Michalak would stick around right until the end. He'd be a poor option in the rotation, but at least he could eat innings and it might be better to throw him to the wolves than to go with someone like Matt Chico. He had allowed four runs -- two earned -- in 5 1/3 innings this spring.

Ryan Zimmerman had a homer and two doubles in his three at-bats Monday versus the Mets.
    One of the doubles also would have been a homer if not for a breeze holding it up. Zimmerman is 10-for-22 with two homers this month.

Shawn Hill limited the Mets to one run over four innings in a no-decision Monday.
    Four of the five hits he allowed were singles, and he got eight outs on the ground. With a 2.00 ERA through nine innings, he might be the second Nationals pitcher to lock up a rotation spot.

Chris Snelling hit a three-run homer off Jon Adkins in the bottom of the eighth to help the Nationals beat the Mets 9-6 on Monday.
    Snelling played the whole game and apparently avoided getting hurt, even though he was hit on the foot by a pitch from Chan Ho Park. The Nationals have already decided on their starting outfield and Snelling isn't in in, but since the former Mariner is out of options, it's likely that he'll have a place on the bench. He's something of a sleeper despite the likelihood of injury.

The Nationals have told Billy Traber he's no longer in the mix for a spot in the team's rotation.
    It seemed to be the case after he threw just one inning in his last appearance. Traber does have a real chance of winning a spot as a middle reliever.

MLB ERA
    News from the 14th of March.
    Facing his former team, Jason Simontacchi went five innings and gave up two runs Wednesday in a no-decision versus the Cardinals.
    Simontacchi, who last pitched in the big leagues with St. Louis in 2004, is in the mix for a spot in the Nationals rotation with a 5.25 ERA in 13 innings this spring. There isn't any upside here, but he could eat some innings.

Despite mixing in breaking balls for the first time in his latest mound session, Luis Ayala (elbow) is expected to begin the season on the DL.
    "Unless something changes dramatically, then Luis Ayala [will join] Nick Johnson and Mike O'Connor on the disabled list," GM Jim Bowden said. "We are going to take the conservative approach with Luis. We are not going to rush him while he's coming back from Tommy John surgery." Ryan Wagner is likely to get more work in close games with Ayala out.

Cristian Guzman played five innings Wednesday in his first official appearance at shortstop this spring.
    Guzman had gotten in some time in the field during intrasquad games. It doesn't appear that his shoulder will prevent him from being in the Opening Day lineup, though the Nationals might have a better chance of winning games during April if he does experience another setback.

Felipe Lopez missed Wednesday's game because he got stuck in traffic, but the Nationals aren't holding it against him.
    Lopez missed the team bus for the game in Jupiter. He said he'd drive to the game, but the Nats told him to head to the complex and work out there instead. "There weren't any bad intentions, whatsoever," manager Manny Acta said. "He has done a lot this spring. He has worked very hard."

Kory Casto has started taking balls at first base in an effort to be considered for a roster spot.
    It's not going to happen. Casto thought he'd have a chance to compete for the left field job this spring, but he's instead spent most of his time at third base. He's not going to have a chance to beat out Larry Broadway or one of the veterans for a starting job at first.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    is nick johnson hurt again that theyre looking for a 1st baseman?

MLB ERA
    News from the 15th of March.
    Shawn Hill will join the Nationals' rotation to start the season, according to manager Manny Acta.
    "It's just about being healthy [for him]," Acta said. "If he was healthy, he was a lock from the beginning." Hill has given up two runs in nine innings and he's no worse an option than the rest of the club's candidates, so it was a fine choice. He's still not an attractive option in NL-only leagues, however.

Jason Simontacchi may be on his way to earning a spot in the Nationals' rotation, according to manager Manny Acta.
    "I would not pencil him yet. At the end of the day, it's going to take some important decisions when you are going to take someone off the [40-man] roster," Acta said. "He has made a case for himself." Even if he wins a spot this spring, Simontacchi is unlikely to be successful enough to hold on to the job.

Cristian Guzman, who made his first official appearance at shortstop yesterday, says he has no pain in the right shoulder that had kept him out of action until then.
    Guzman had the day off today but will start again tomorrow. He should be okay to start the season.

Dmitri Young went 2-for-3 with a homer off Jason Schmidt Thursday in his first appearance in an 'A' game this spring.
    That Young went the first two weeks playing in nothing except minor league games suggests he has little chance of making the Nationals out of spring training. However, he may have earned himself more time in 'A' games with his showing tonight. As things stand now, it appears that either Larry Broadway or Travis Lee will be the Nationals' starting first baseman until Nick Johnson returns.

Jason Bergmann gave up four runs in 2 1/3 innings Thursday in a loss to the Dodgers.
    Bergmann had thrown five scoreless innings this spring, but this is a setback to his chances of winning a rotation spot. The Nationals will probably send him back to Triple-A rather than carry him as a reliever if he doesn't make the rotation.

Ryan Church went 0-for-3 on Thursday to drop his spring average to .143.
    With his brother leaving for Iraq last weekend, Church has had things on his mind other than baseball. Still, from a fantasy perspective, it'd be nice to see him begin swinging the bat better soon. Manager Manny Acta has said he'd be his club's Opening Day left fielder, but that may not mean much if the slump lasts into the regular season.

Tim Redding yielded one run and two hits over three innings of relief Thursday against the Tigers.
    Redding needed a positive outing to stay in the mix for one of the openings in the Washington rotation. Struggling with a new delivery, he entered with a 23.63 ERA in 2 2/3 innings.

Matt Chico helped his chances of making the Nationals by throwing four scoreless innings Thursday against the Tigers.
    He allowed four hits, walked one and struck out three. Chico has given up four runs in 9 1/3 innings this spring. The 23-year-old would almost surely be on his way to Triple-A if he was a member of any other organization, but the Nationals might make him their fourth or fifth starter.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast