Thread: Nats release Elijah Dukes

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Nationals Nats release Elijah Dukes

Nationals Release Elijah Dukes: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
    The Nationals released outfielder Elijah Dukes, according to a team press release. According to a tweet from MASN's Ben Goessling, the move had nothing to do with off-the-field issues. This is very surprising news, as Dukes projected as the team's starting right fielder and has a minor league option left. Goessling talked to Nationals GM Mike Rizzo, who said the team made many attempts to trade Dukes but could not find an interested team (Twitter link). Dukes' time with Washington was marked by injuries and a disappointing '09 season.
    I don't find it very surprising. They were tired of his character issues, except Rizzo didn't pull an A.J. Smith in using a remark to the effect of "You will not survive. That's my philosophy."

MLB ERA

Re: Nats release Elijah Dukes

Guess I can't heckle him at Chiefs' games anymore sad days
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I'm a bit surprised by this move. Dukes has matured a lot in the past couple of years and is playing much better than he was. He needs to land somewhere like LA to play with either the Dodgers or Angels so he can be more relaxed.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Has anyone heard anything else about this? There has to be something else going on. Although Dukes isn't exactly just a clubhouse big ego loudmouth character... and some might argue that he has shown behavior more like a sociopath. Still, he has potential and is young so who is going to take a chance on him?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I rather think of him as the TO of major league baseball. Or would that be Milton Bradley? Look, Dukes has a ton of potential and we may never get to see it in its absolute form. I fear he and Delmon Young are on the same page and are headed in a very dark direction. They don't realize that they have to be a bit humbled by their God given ability. It is a sad thing to see.

That said, I still hope these guys get their act together and make something of themselves.